Travelling independently

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Travelling independently

Postby peterv » 06 Sep 2010, 19:31

Kojak should know that I normally stay in Chorio 8-) 8-)

Sunshine, I should be in plenty of time to deplete the Mythos stocks so that they have gone by the time Kojak arrives :) :)
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Kojak » 12 Oct 2010, 12:03

Getting back to Olympic Holidays, it was the usual hunt for the coach on arrival back in Rhodes - the coach was carefully parked so that the Olympic sign wasn't visible. Apart from that everything went well. We leapfrogged the Proteus on arrival and caught the ealier Dodecanisos catamaran but simply informed the reps at the airport - no problem! :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Buzzy » 03 Nov 2010, 14:25

I'm looking at the possibility of arranging an independent trip to Symi for mid May next year. I was wondering which is the best day of the week for transfers from Rhodes to Symi? Ideally I'd like to fly to Rhodes stay overnight and go to Symi the next day maybe early afternoon. A nice leisurely flight and transfer.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Kojak » 03 Nov 2010, 19:30

There's no point in stating ferry times now, Buzzy as these can and do change in a month. Wednesday is traditionally the changeover day so you are hopefully guaranteed an evening service at least. At this point in time the Dodekanisos fast catarmaran is the most reliable but they are now on a winter schedule.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Allan » 03 Nov 2010, 20:33

As Kojak says it's way too early to think about ferries for next year Buzzy. By mid May there should be at least one ferry every day but there are no guarantees.

If you're happy to have an overnight in Rhodes then there should be no problem whichever day you choose since you won't be constrained by flight arrival times and can relax at your hotel until it's time for the ferry.

The best and most up to date information about travel to Symi, including the current ferry woes, is Andy Ward's travel blog at:

Good luck with planning your trip. :)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Travelling independently

Postby maziemoo » 03 Nov 2010, 22:15

travelling independently does give you more flexibility on change over days Buzzy.

In the past I've done a Sunday transfer having booked accommodation with Kalodoukas who are happy to consider booking outside of the normal 7/14 night and Wednesday change over bookings.

Of course things seem to have got worse not better re the ferry situation, but I tended to find there was a variety of options including the Dodekanisos Pride or Express (can't remember which, maybe it was both) which seemed to run most days and was particularly good with as I recall, early trips to Symi, 8.30am and for later departures to Rhodes...I think 17.50pm.

However I haven't visited since May 2009 so the situation may have changed and I haven't really kept up to speed with this not having the necessity to do so.

Good luck with the planning...I'm sure it will work out for you.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Buzzy » 04 Nov 2010, 15:14

Yes I realise that it's far too early to look at actual ferry times it's just that when looking for early availability of flight and accommodation etc I need some idea of start and finish dates so that I can book. I just wondered if for instance there is any day traditionally that runs an afternoon service from Rhodes to Symi. I would prefer Sunday if possible as it would enable the flight and stayover to be Saturday. I'm just worried about booking all the bits separately and then finding it doesn't fit together when ferry schedules are released.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Allan » 04 Nov 2010, 15:36

[quote="Buzzy"]

I'm just worried about booking all the bits separately and then finding it doesn't fit together when ferry schedules are released.
[/quote]I understand what you mean Buzzy but that's a risk you have to take.

Over the last couple of years the ferry schedules have sadly become less predictable and even the previously reliable Dodekanisos Pride/Express boats that Maziemoo mentioned have been running to strange timetables this year. Perhaps next year it will be better but no one really knows.

If you go for a Sunday transfer in May there will almost certainly be a ferry, possibly one in the morning and one in the afternoon so you should be OK.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Travelling independently

Postby JeanW » 04 Nov 2010, 15:57

Buzzy you have summed it up - I have been going to Symi many years and up until the last 3 years always travelled independently. I often found that with flight delays or ferries not leaving on time I was stranded in Rhodes for longer than I would have liked. Even sitting at Mandrake harbour in the early hours of the morning, more than once, waiting for the first ferry and losing the cost of a nights accommodation on Symi. Which is why I am very happy to book with Olympic who are not only very competively priced but co-ordinate flights, ferries and accommodation and despite many adverse comments made about Olympic I have found them to be excellent and have booked my trip with them for May 2011.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Buzzy » 04 Nov 2010, 18:30

I agree about Olympic. I travelled with them before and stayed at the Nireus. The only thing is they have such a limited choice of accommodation. I'd like to stay in an apartment in the port area. Anywhere that isn't too much of a walk or climb from all the restaurants.With all the independent apartments you have so much more choice.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Adriana » 04 Nov 2010, 19:00

Hi Buzzy,

At Symi Visitor Accommodation we don't have rigid changeover days as we have guests from all over the world, many of whom are flying scheduled or have quite complicated travel arrangements.

A lot of people come in from the UK on Easyjet flights which arrive in Rhodes in the evening and spend a night in a hotel in Rhodes, then coming across to Symi on the first boat the next morning. We have always had a policy that if visitors have to miss a night on Symi due to circumstances beyond their control such as flight delays, bad weather or ferry problems they aren't charged for that night. Instead, because they SMS us before they leave the UK with their new arrival time, they know that arrangements for them have been made in Rhodes and they don't have to worry. :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby jane and rich » 05 Nov 2010, 13:53

Hi Buzzy,have you considered Iapetos Village apts that Olympic have added to their books?They are in the centre of Yialos[no climb]and when i looked at them in october 2008 i was impressed enough to book an apt there for the first week of June next year.Igot a very good deal by booking early with Olympic and could not have put the trip together myself for the same price.Nor do ihave the hassle of trying to marry it all together.Good luck with your planning.
jane and rich
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Buzzy » 07 Nov 2010, 15:51

Funnily enough Olympic only seem to be offering the Opera House Apartments for Mid May.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Oor Willie » 08 Nov 2010, 11:16

It was the same last week when I checked for June and September Buzzy the opera house was all that was offered
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Buzzy » 08 Nov 2010, 11:47

Strange that. I feel like we are going to see fewer and fewer packages as property owners are losing trust in the tour operators with so many of them going bust.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Travelling independently

Postby Kojak » 08 Nov 2010, 15:17

[quote="Kojak"]

Tch tch, Peter. My Mythos supplies on Symi will be plentiful. You forget that I have friends in high places (Chorio actually) :D
[/quote]

yep always aim high because you can then roll home once well tanked up!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard