hidden forum

Ask questions about the island of Symi

hidden forum

Postby StDavid » 03 Feb 2011, 20:33

That was lovely and sad at the same time Joanie.
Must bring back some good memories.
The Drapano bridge has been closed to traffic except for locals on Motorbikes for a few years now. Lovely to walk to the memorial half way across and watch the Loggerhead Turtles.
We get torn each summer on where to go, Symi is always a must, but then we love Lesvos and Kefalonia too. Have to take cheap package deals these days as my budget does not stretch to independent travel anymore. The tour operators seem to go to fewer and fewer small or less visited Islands since many have collapsed or been taken over by the TUI group.
We noticed that even Olympic holidays is partly owned by them now. Was amazed when we were searching for a place to stay on the Thomas cook site and Olympic Holidays came up in the results.
Roll on September and sitting outside Pachos watching life go by.
Can even feel the warmth as I think about it.
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

hidden forum

Postby Joanie » 05 Feb 2011, 04:59

Its about 7 or 8 years since we were there John, so do you have to go a long way round to get to the other side, because all our journeys took us over the bridge to get to all the different places on the Island.We also had a holiday on Lesvos, and there we found a Greek bar where the locals drank, it worked out at about 30p for a glass FULL of Ouzo and a dish of nuts. The place was packed most nights but what a good time we all had with the locals. :D :D
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hidden forum

Postby StDavid » 05 Feb 2011, 09:27

All the way round now Joanie, or take the Ferry to Lixouri from Argostoli.
You would not have been staying in Anaxos on Lesvos? Sounds like Sarandos' kafeneion in the main street where we we love to sit. I realise that I have posted pictures of Kefalonia on a Symi forum and pictures of Symi on a Kefalonian forum :D .
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

hidden forum

Postby Joanie » 05 Feb 2011, 14:27

Yes it was on the main street in Anaxos John, it was opposite the apartments where we were staying. It was so cheap. You would'nt believe this, but we got chatting to this guy, and it turned out after much conversation, we knew his brothers and his friends, it turned out they were all friends of ours too.Fancy that in such a small place.We ended up having one of the best nights that night as you can imagine lol
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

hidden forum

Postby StDavid » 07 Feb 2011, 10:04

Amazing! Such a small World. Sarandos' is a great place, we have had some lovely evenings there. Although Pachos does not do food it does remind me of Sarandos.
Looks like My partner and her daughter are staying in Molyvos later this year and will probably visit. I have to stay at home but at least get to stay in Yialos in September.
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Previous

Return to Noticeboard