Taking pets to Symi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Taking pets to Symi

Postby sugardens » 06 Feb 2011, 20:03

Has anyone moved to Symi and taken their pets with them?
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby peterv » 07 Feb 2011, 10:20

I looked into bringing my 2 cats when I moved here in October. I felt the cost and strain would have been too much so they were re-homed through the Cat Protection League (they were very helpful when they were told the reason).
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby Andy W » 07 Feb 2011, 10:52

I know at least one summer Symi resident who brings his dog with him, they live in the UK in the winter. He says you really have to travel by car and ferry to make it easy on the pet as that way they're with the owner the whole way.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby sugardens » 07 Feb 2011, 11:54

Thank you for your advice. We've already arranged for the cats to live elsewhere. We were concerned about air travel for the dog and glad to confirmed that overland is the best. Quite good fun too!
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby Jan » 07 Feb 2011, 13:03

An elderly French lady who holidays in Symi every September - no idea of her name; we always call her Madame - brings her small dog in a 'cage' on her lap in the plane. It really is a small dog, and I don't know if/how much the French airline charges, but you might like to look into overland travel from the UK to France and thence by air if your dog fits the bill.

Either way, you'd have to tangle with the 'pet passport' requirements of course.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby sugardens » 07 Feb 2011, 16:45

Our dog is a labrador so sitting on my lap is not an option!! Would be interested to know the route to Rhodes another traveller takes (mentioned above). Do they go from Pireaus?
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby Andy W » 07 Feb 2011, 17:15

Yes, overnight ferry from the Italian Adriatic coast (Ancona, Bari or Brindisi) to Patras, drive from Patras to Piraeus, then overnight ferry from Piraeus to either Symi direct (or direct-ish given how many other places it stops at) or to Rhodes and then on the Proteus or one of the Dodekanisos boats to Symi if travelling on one of the 6 days there isn't a service from Piraeus to Symi.
ANEK, Minoan Lines or Superfast/Blue Star are the companies to look for for the journey from Italy, ANEK do the Piraeus-Symi ferry, Blue Star or Hellenic Seaways the Piraeus-Rhodes crossing.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby sugardens » 07 Feb 2011, 19:31

Any idea what happens to the dog? Does it stay in the vehicle? It's such a long journey - where does it go to the loo?
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby Andy W » 07 Feb 2011, 20:10

This is what ANEK's website says
Pets
Pets travel free of charge, in specially designated areas, or on a lead in case of moving. Owners have to accompany each one of their pets with a recently updated health book. Animal presence in cabins, restaurants and bars as well as in all internal community areas of the ships, is strictly prohibited.
Passengers are obliged to take full responsibility care and safety of their pets, to comply with the regulations concerning animal care on board and they solely responsible for any possible harm or damage by their animals to any third party. Detailed regulations can be obtained at ANEK LINES Offices and the website of ANEK LINES.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby Kojak » 08 Feb 2011, 16:05

A lady called Heidi has a house on Symi and always brings her dog. It's a small one so probably travels in a pet box but I assume she'd have to purchase a seat for it. From the pictures I've seen of Bella, Su, that wouldn't be an option. I have a mental picture of her chasing sticks on a plane! :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Taking pets to Symi

Postby sugardens » 10 Feb 2011, 18:33

Thanks for all the advice...in the short term I've found someone who'll have Bella while we explore! :D
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Noticeboard