coming back but just for the day!!

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby drphibes62 » 17 Mar 2011, 10:42

hello everyone
coming to symi only for a day this september
came twenty years ago for 2 memorable holidays as part of a previous life!
can anyone help regarding information about theo who use to work at alikes,(i think he may be harbourmaster) and dimitri who use to run the beach bar.
what is the best way to come across for the day, perhaps the hydrofoil?
even though we are staying on rhodes coming back to symi will be the highlight of my holiday
drphibes62
Starting Visitor

Postby Allan » 17 Mar 2011, 11:25

Hi Dr Phibes and welcome to the chat page.

Our more venerable members will no doubt be able to help you with tracking down Theo and Dimitris.

As for getting to Symi for the day, there will be several day-trip boats running but if you just want to spend as much time on Symi as possible and skip the obligatory trip to Panormitis the Dodekanisos Seaways pair of high speed catamarans are your best bet (the old Aegli has finally gone to hydrofoil heaven).

They have published a timetable for the summer season right up to mid September which is unheard of so early in the year. Being Greece, things could change of course but the timetable shows an early boat leaving Rhodes most days at 8.30 arriving at Symi by 9.25 and a return leaving Symi at 17.45, arriving Rhodes 18.30 It's a bit of an early start but you get a full day on Symi rather than the 3-4 hours you get on the much slower day-trip boats.

Check the times at the Dodekanisos Seaways website:
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JeanW » 18 Mar 2011, 23:51

hello drhibes, regarding your questions about theo and dimitri, theo was tearing about the harbour in may2010 wearing an ornage t-shirt with mooring man inscribed on the back. He may well have been elevated to hharbourmaster now, He is married to an english lady - Pandora and they have a 5 year old son named Raphael. Dimitris is still running the Nos beach.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 20 Mar 2011, 11:55

Theo is head Mooring Man now. Pandora is delighted as it's a regular all year round job and there aren't many of those in Symi. Hard work during the season though as there are always the awkward yachtie customers who want to berth just where they think and not where directed! Dimitri is still at Nos Beach. When I saw him in September he had insrtucted staff that everything was to be painted white. It was a very windy day so Dimitri and staff had more whitewash on them than on the walls - all good entertainment. I couldn't understand what he was shouting which was just as well!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby drphibes62 » 25 Mar 2011, 07:46

Thanks everybody for the information
It will be a memorable day and I cant wait.I aim to come back for a holiday sometime.
How will situation be in September for a room for a night if we decide to stay over.
What sort of rate could I expect to pay for a basic room
drphibes62
Starting Visitor

Postby mikegadd » 25 Mar 2011, 10:26

You can browse all our accommodation here: http://www.symivisitor.com/Accommodation.htm

Give Wendy and Adriana a ring, or send them an email and they'll sort you out. Around 60 Euros a night for two people. :)
mikegadd
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 25 Mar 2011, 13:35

September is a popular month on Symi but the island isn't as packed as it is in July and August so you're certain to be able to find a bed for the night somewhere.

Pack your toothbrush on your day trip and if you decide to stay over do as Mike suggests and contact Wendy or Adriana to see what they can do for you. The office is just up the street at the side of Pacho's Cafenion.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Noticeboard