HELP !!

Ask questions about the island of Symi

HELP !!

Postby Sweet Soo » 26 Mar 2011, 10:14

Good Morning!
Does anyone know if there is a boat from Symi to Rhodes on the morning of Easter Monday 25 April? There is no schedule for that date on the Dodecanese Seaways timetable.
Sweet Soo
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

HELP !!

Postby Kojak » 26 Mar 2011, 13:50

This is very confusing, Sue:-

http://paleologos.forth-crs.gr/english/npgres.exe?PM=BO#RoutesTable

shows the Dodekanese Express sailing at 08.30am and 17.30pm and the Dodekanese Pride sailing at 18.30pm on that date. Best to keep checking!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

HELP !!

Postby maziemoo » 27 Mar 2011, 17:13

This sort of issue is what makes travelling to the Greek islands less attractive.

If you have a long stay planned, not so much of an inconvenience but if you have a short stay (1 week) it makes things rather less attractive.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons for the downturn in tourist numbers over the past couple of years. I've found it far less trouble and time consuming to get to the Caribbean and the Maldives!
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

HELP !!

Postby Ifigenia » 28 Mar 2011, 10:30

Hi Sue,

On Easter Monday morning you can travel from Symi to Kos and Kalymnos at 9.30 a.m. on the Dodekanisos Seaways katamaran.

To Rhodes the katamaran leaves Symi at 7.30 p.m. getting into Rhodes at 8.20 p.m.

The ANES boat schedule isn't out yet. You need to check that closer to your travelling date.

Best regards, Ifigenia
Ifigenia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

HELP !!

Postby Ifigenia » 31 Mar 2011, 13:38

Hi Sue,

The ANES timetable is out. There is no boat Easter Monday morning to Rhodes, but you can travel Easter Sunday afternoon on the Proteus leaving Symi 5 p.m. and getting into Rhodes 6.40 p.m.

Best regards, Ifigenia
Ifigenia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

HELP !!

Postby Kojak » 31 Mar 2011, 17:24

Looks like the Dodekanisos will be your best bet, Sue. Like I said in my previous posting, keep checking the times. I hope you can make it without too much bother. It's about time you got back to Symi ;)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

HELP !!

Postby Eleanor » 08 Apr 2011, 23:00

Hi MM nxt year a long haul seems so much easier for a glasgow flight we travel for about 18hours(ok symi worth it) but hey o;ympic really p..... me of sorry to say this might be my last visit....
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

HELP !!

Postby snoopy2 » 09 Apr 2011, 00:44

:twisted: Like i said in another blog - you know you will be back Eleanor - just as sure eggs is eggs and as sure i will be back - not this year - but i will be back - (is that a line from a movie?) :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

HELP !!

Postby maziemoo » 09 Apr 2011, 09:51

[quote="Eleanor"]

Hi MM nxt year a long haul seems so much easier for a glasgow flight we travel for about 18hours(ok symi worth it) but hey o;ympic really p..... me of sorry to say this might be my last visit....
[/quote]

Hi Elli darling, only you can decide what's an (un)acceptable amount of inconvenience to you.

Try doing what I did, go elsewhere for a couple of years, then come back to Symi. The killer with Symi really is the potential for protracted journey times due to the inability to coincide flight times with ferry crossings. Yes it's worth the effort once you get there however after a while that can become a bit tiresome so a change might well prove to be as good as a rest....and hey there's a lot of world to see out there :) .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

HELP !!

Postby sugardens » 09 Apr 2011, 11:54

I agree Maz. We went to Crete last year and missed Symi but glad to do an easy journey for a change. I don't mind waiting for ferries as long as it's not for hours with no shelter from the sun and I've had no sleep! Will let you know how we get on next week...fingers crossed all will be plain sailing (forgive the pun)..
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

HELP !!

Postby maziemoo » 09 Apr 2011, 18:58

[quote="sugardens"]

I agree Maz. We went to Crete last year and missed Symi but glad to do an easy journey for a change. I don't mind waiting for ferries as long as it's not for hours with no shelter from the sun and I've had no sleep! Will let you know how we get on next week...fingers crossed all will be plain sailing (forgive the pun)..
[/quote]

Enjoy Su darling....looking forward to hearing your news and reviews :) .

Sometimes what we are prepared to endure is about what's going on in our life...times I think I would let hell freeze over before letting something get the better of me, other times I just can't be a***d with any hassle :( .

Two years seperation from Symi means I'm desperate to get back. Greece is my 'spiritual home' but being away has taught me that althought I love Symi, she doesn't have the 'all inclusive' ownership of my heart, personally a more healthy relationship for me, me thinks :D .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

HELP !!

Postby snoopy2 » 10 Apr 2011, 09:54

[quote="Eleanor"]

[/quote]
How about seeing you in Kephalonia? We are staying in Assos in September - a change from Symi but still a beautiful Greek island. Just over two hours flight - and wallah - we are there 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

HELP !!

Postby Colette » 10 Apr 2011, 22:14

Where are you flying from Snoopy? Last time I flew to Kef it was well over 3 hours and was when I went to Zakinthos in August and they are next door neighbours. Mind you I fly from Manchester and we have the rain clouds to contend with before we get too high up ;)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

HELP !!

Postby snoopy2 » 11 Apr 2011, 17:57

[quote="Colette"]

Where are you flying from Snoopy? Last time I flew to Kef it was well over 3 hours and was when I went to Zakinthos in August and they are next door neighbours. Mind you I fly from Manchester and we have the rain clouds to contend with before we get too high up ;)
[/quote]
:geek: Sorry Colette - checked times again - get mixed up between time differences!!!! We leave Gatwick about 7a.m. and will be into Kef for luchtime - will be on the beach by about 1p.m. Easier by far than Symi but will probably return to Symi next year - must fill up on lovely juices at The Olive Tree, get to Turkey for the day for a Turkish bath and hair pamper then back to hit Pedi, Chorio and the beaches. Yeeha. 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

HELP !!

Postby maziemoo » 13 Apr 2011, 00:19

you should give Snoop's suggestion some serious thought Elli. Assos/Kef is definitely on my wish list for next year!
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard