Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Margot » 21 Apr 2011, 20:09

Hi Everybody - Hope you might be able to help. Flying in from Scotland to Kos, and then on to Symi where we are staying for a few days. Would like to go to Tilos on the 23rd May. Is it possible to go from Symi to Rhodes to Tilos on the same day, ie 23rd May, or will I have to wait to nearer the time to find out?
Thank you
Margot
Margot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Allan » 21 Apr 2011, 20:35

Hi Margot, welcome to the chat page.

I can't find any ferries to Tilos on that date. I could be wrong of course!

The Dodekanisos boats don't travel to Tilos on Mondays and the island's own boat, the Seastar, doesn't seem to do the trip either.

However, If you can manage another night on Symi (and who couldn't?) the Dodekanisos Express leaves Symi at 8AM on the 24th and via Rhodes and Halki arrives in Tilos at 11.10
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Margot » 21 Apr 2011, 21:15

Big "thank you" Allan. Staying another day will be no problem. This is all a new area of Greece for us - we have three weeks to travel round and I am mega excited. Would I be better booking ferry in advance or getting ticket on Symi during our stay there? I have booked from Kos to Symi as there was a good discount. Very grateful for your help.
Margot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Allan » 21 Apr 2011, 21:21

There should be no problem booking a ticket while you are on Symi but if there is a discount for booking early (50% on some routes) you might as well take advantage!

I'm sure you'll love Symi. Tilos is completely different but nice too, particularly if you like walking.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Andy W » 22 Apr 2011, 08:35

Officially, there is a state-subsidised ferry route Rhodes-Symi-Tilos-Nissyros-Kos which is meant to offer two journeys a week in each direction. In practice it hasn't operated since the end of February when the last contract period ran out. The route was home to the Proteus of ANES, and there are strong indications that if ANES can come to some arrangement with their creditors the Ministry will award them a new contract. Unfortunately for you, Margot, the hearing to determine what happens to ANES isn't due to happen until May 8th. Allan's suggestion is the wisest course, but some people feel that a little ferry uncertainty is part of the Greek Island-hopping experience. It's certainly been a good spring for it this year.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Margot » 23 Apr 2011, 23:17

Hi Andy
Perhaps we will be lucky and they will have come to an agreement before we fly home on the 10th June. Then we will have more choice, but as you say a little uncertainty adds some spice!! Will wait to Symi to book, as no offer available as yet, although we were lucky to get 50% from Kos - Have applied for their 10% discount card,so hope that will be sorted out before we leave. I am now counting the days, so looking forward to this island-hopping holiday.
Margot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby maziemoo » 25 Apr 2011, 17:42

[quote="Andy W"]

Officially, there is a state-subsidised ferry route Rhodes-Symi-Tilos-Nissyros-Kos which is meant to offer two journeys a week in each direction. In practice it hasn't operated since the end of February when the last contract period ran out. The route was home to the Proteus of ANES, and there are strong indications that if ANES can come to some arrangement with their creditors the Ministry will award them a new contract. Unfortunately for you, Margot, the hearing to determine what happens to ANES isn't due to happen until May 8th. Allan's suggestion is the wisest course, but some people feel that a little ferry uncertainty is part of the Greek Island-hopping experience. It's certainly been a good spring for it this year.
[/quote]

this is really useful information Andy and helps give some idea of what to expect. I'll be keeping a close eye on news here and elsewhere in terms of deciding my best course of action once I get to Rhodes airport. At the moment I'm hoping our flight will arrive on time (4pm) and with a swift pass through customs and collection of luggage may make the Dodekanosis Express. My recollection is that it takes about 20 minutes by taxi from the airport to Kolonna, can anyone tell me if I'm right please.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Kojak » 25 Apr 2011, 18:27

20 minutes is about right, Maz. I've done the Dodek Dash many times! My old flight used to land at 4pm and of course you're at the mercy of the baggage handlers but all things being ok you should make it in time.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby JeanW » 25 Apr 2011, 22:31

Mazzie, as you know I'm on the same flight as you from Gatwick on 11th May, and somehow, subject to no flight delays, we will get to Kolona for the 5.30pm dodek express.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Kojak » 26 Apr 2011, 00:19

Something I forgot, ladies. Rhodes reps aren't always au fais with ferry times. Make sure you stress the ferry departure times to them at the airport and to the one by your coach. If it's likely that they can't do it be sure to tell rep by the coach your plans.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby maziemoo » 26 Apr 2011, 18:03

Thanks Kojak, by my reckoning if we are out of the airport by 4.55pm latest that leaves us time allowing for rush hour hold up and purchase of tickets to catch the Dodek....oh and yes remembered your advice about informing the reps of our plans but thank you for telling me about the need to tell a rep in the airport and also by the coach as I would have most likely only told the one inside the airport. Should I ask for Proteus tickets just in case we miss the Dodek?

Depending upon the fate of the Proteus, Olympic may have us booked for the Dodek anyway but obviously we will have to wait and see how things pan out there.

Jean fear not, I haven't forgotten you. I will send you a text message when I get to Gatwick (probably arrive there around 6am as I try to get there before the worst of the traffic travelling in from Oxford direction) so that you can either join forces with me on the flight or if you prefer, you will have some idea of what I'm wearing to identify me at the other end to make our dash.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Kojak » 26 Apr 2011, 19:12

If my memory serves me correct we got the tickets at the port for the Proteus as the coach rep who drops you off to wait, probably at the taverna next to the Commercial harbour, might not necessarily be the same one who takes you to board the ferry. The best solution would be to ask the rep at the airport coach and tell her you might need the Proteus after all - that's always supposing the Proteus is back in regular service by then of course. Remember that if you get the Dodekanisos you'll have to take your own luggage to wherever you stay.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Margot » 26 Apr 2011, 21:19

So interesting reading all the travel plans - I think it is all part of the holiday. Kojak, big favour, I read your offer to one of the other members - to send an e-mail of a list you had prepared of good tavernas and bars - I would love a copy. Please!
Margot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Kojak » 26 Apr 2011, 23:36

No problem Margot. Send me a private message and I'll email the list to you. :)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Margot » 27 Apr 2011, 23:10

Thanks Kojak, message away!
Margot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Kojak » 28 Apr 2011, 09:28

Managed to find an email address Margot (you forgot to include it in your message lol) Hopefully you've received the document now. Let me know if you have any problems.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi/Rhodes to Tilos

Postby Margot » 28 Apr 2011, 22:43

I am such a bimbo!!
Margot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Noticeboard