Lazy Days boat in Symi boat yard.

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby Buzzy » 07 Nov 2009, 23:08

I walked past this old boat many times on route to Nos beach when I stayed in Symi and looking at the chairs on the decks and all the abandoned bits left inside I couldn't help wondering what the history of it is.Can anyone help me with that? Also are there any photos of the "Lazy Days" when she was up and running?
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby snapperjon » 08 Nov 2009, 10:03

Lovely old thing, isn't she? I'd like to know more as well. There was a rumour that they were going to break her up!

[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/Snapperjon/LazyDaysHDR2.jpg[/img]
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Buzzy » 08 Nov 2009, 11:01

I know. As I walked around the boat all the plastic chairs were still on the upper deck as if she had just finished her service yet it must have been some years ago. What a wonderful name also. I can just imagine all the Lazy Days that were had by people on that deck in the hot summer sun. Instead of breaking it up why not restore her purely as a tourist attraction and maybe have some history and old photo's. It could be a part time long term project for those in the boatyard. There's something quite distinctive about this boat but I can't put my finger on it.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby benedetti » 08 Nov 2009, 11:34

It has long been my dream to turn Lazy Days into a resturant. Wee Jimmys father sailed round the world in a sailing boat in the 30's and that fine ship ended up rotting at Wivenhoe a sad sight to see.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 08 Nov 2009, 12:57

As far as I know, Lazy Days was tourist boat around Rhodes. I can remember her afloat in Harani many years ago. Each year she became a little more decrepit. In September I wondered if she was safe as the whole boat looks near to collapse. The only rumour I've heard was that there's doubt as to who is the owner, hence she's just left there year after year.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Buzzy » 08 Nov 2009, 17:40

There was a wooden board attached to the boat which said where she travelled. I think it might have been the monastry but I'm sure there were other destinations as well.I'd love to know how far back she goes and especially to see photographs which may have been taken during trips etc. I hope they dont' break up this boat as it's a beautiful additon to Symi harbour. We can all see past a little peeling paint to the glory beneath.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Joanie » 08 Nov 2009, 18:55

I heard Abramovich wanted to refurbish it
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Eleanor » 08 Nov 2009, 20:59

Hi Buzzy, I gather you enjoyed your Symi fix X
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Nov 2009, 23:18

8-) there is fantastic development for this wreck. Wrong but could be right side of the harbour and a fantastic lure for tourism. Lazy days is what Symi is about - do we put our money where our mouths is- (are) i would!!!!"! where do you go in Symi loyalty - i would wager a bit??? :idea: :idea: :idea: :geek: :geek: ;)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Nov 2009, 23:23

:idea: In other word do you lot just spout about symi or are you wiling to take gamble and put your money where your mouths seem always to be ???? maybe a consortium??!! :P :geek: :evil:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Richard » 08 Nov 2009, 23:37

We are still awaiting a decision as to whether or not ANES will buy her to replace the Aegli.
Probably more reliable.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kon » 09 Nov 2009, 00:19

I think restored she would make a great local beach goers boat like taking people around the Island ,funds are always an issue but i too think it would be a shame to trash her.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Buzzy » 09 Nov 2009, 08:21

Yes I's love to help get the Lazy Days restored byt I'm afraid I'm not typical of the wealthy people who seem to go to Symi regularly. I just scraped together the cash to get there and it's the most I've ever spent on a break but well worth it.

I'm not necessarily suggesting it goes afloat again as that is a different type of restoration. What I would be talking about is maybe a tourist attraction in terms of a restaurant as has already been suggested. That would be something new for the harbour and could be a big draw to customers. It would also be an exceelent venue for the locals for weddings and other celebrations.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby snapperjon » 09 Nov 2009, 09:55

I'd love to see her done up, but frankly, I'd be amazed if she could be made to float again, and even doing her up as a restaurant (which is a great idea)would cost a fortune to get a safety and fire certificate even, let alone the fitting out. First step would probably be a condition and value survey. Not sure what this would cost, but I'd guess not less than �25/foot. I haven't measured Lazy, but if she's about 70', this, with expenses, could be about �2,000. Then the expensive work would begin...

The best bet, I think, would be to keep her pretty much as she is, as a reminder of the old days. But any move to get rid should be resisted!
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby benedetti » 09 Nov 2009, 10:25

[quote="snoopy2"]

8-) there is fantastic development for this wreck. Wrong but could be right side of the harbour and a fantastic lure for tourism. Lazy days is what Symi is about - do we put our money where our mouths is- (are) i would!!!!"! where do you go in Symi loyalty - i would wager a bit??? :idea: :idea: :idea: :geek: :geek: ;)
[/quote]
I couldn't think of a better way of spending my hard earned cash and as wee Jimmy is not afraid of hands on building work it might keep him out of trouble for a few years
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby snapperjon » 09 Nov 2009, 11:26

Perhaps the Municipality could be aproached? After all, there may be things already being planned, and any project would have to be started from a local perspective. I'd hate to think of it as a `visitors moving in without consulting the real Symiots` type of thing.
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Buzzy » 09 Nov 2009, 12:08

Well I always hope if you raise a topic such as this on a forum that maybe someone local will see it and it may grow from there. For instance the owners of the Manos restaurant. Can you imagine the Lasy Days set up with fish tanks as in the Manos restarant etc? I reckon it would be a major draw.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kon » 09 Nov 2009, 12:28

As long as they don't keep her down at Mandraki harbor ,i heard they have huge crabs there. :o
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby muppet » 09 Nov 2009, 12:28

I was under the impression Lazy Days was held by the boatyard when her owners defaulted on payment for work done by them.
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 13 Nov 2009, 23:53

Just a thought, but why not approach Sylvio BurlesqueKoni (he who made that mysterious visit with George H W Bush). He could reburbish Lazy Days as a resort for his poppets (Sorry Poppet) Now THAT would attract the tourists :D
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Noticeboard