Ferries

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Ferries

Postby minardifan » 19 Apr 2012, 20:28

We have booked all our accomodation for our 12th year on Symi but are getting worried about the ferry situation as there seems to be alot of conflicting info at the moment due to try and get across from Rhodes on the 6th May but just saw the news that Dodec wont be running and cant find timetable for other services HELP I need that symiot fix
minardifan
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Ferries

Postby Andy W » 19 Apr 2012, 21:52

As far as I can see there is still a sailing by Dodekanisos Pride from Rhodes at 08:30 on the 6th to Symi and points north. I've just tried to do an online booking for it on their website and seats show as available. What there isn't is the sailings by Panagia Skiadeni that were originally advertised before the row blew up. If you were looking to catch an evening boat from Rhodes to Symi on the 6th, that might indeed be a problem, but if the morning boat is usable, I'd book it.
I suspect that before long more sailings for May will appear, either from ANES or Dodekanisos Seaways, possibly using Dodekanisos Express - it will be harder for objections to be lodged to her making crossings as she's been doing the route for years.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferries

Postby kent » 20 Apr 2012, 13:40

Dont know how up to date everyones information is but Dodekanisos Seaway site is still showing sailings for the "Express" at 09.30 and 18.30 to Symi from Rhodes. 8-)
kent
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Ferries

Postby kent » 20 Apr 2012, 13:41

Ref last posting. This is for 6th May.
kent
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Ferries

Postby Andy W » 20 Apr 2012, 17:02

Yes, they've added these sailings this afternoon, along with many more Express sailings. This is very similar to what the Express did last year. In Adriana's blog
which is also linked from the Symi Visitor home page, she says that there was a summit meeting today between George Spanos, the chairman of Dodekanisos Seaways and the Symi municipality.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferries

Postby kent » 20 Apr 2012, 20:17

Ferry schedule now up to 20th May 2012 8-)
kent
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Ferries

Postby Miss Exige » 22 Apr 2012, 20:26

[quote="kent"]

Ferry schedule now up to 20th May 2012 8-)
[/quote]

....just booked tickets on-line...no problem... :P
Miss Exige
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Ferries

Postby minardifan » 23 Apr 2012, 19:27

Thanks for advice guys looks like I will only need 1 night on rhodes just checked the site looks good now as my return flight was looking like I would have to spend a night on rhodes as wel
minardifan
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Ferries

Postby Andy W » 23 Apr 2012, 21:07

As last year, when only the Pride and the Express are running it is a very good idea to book in advance via the Dodekanisos Seaways website, you can then collect the tickets at the ticket office in Kolonna Harbour before boarding. These boats, especially the morning sailings from Rhodes and the afternoon sailings to Rhodes, can get fully booked with daytrippers or people travelling to more distant islands. It is better to avoid being left behind!
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferries

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 25 Apr 2012, 19:11

Dodecanisos seems to be up to date now.We booked our tickets for 31st May online today.
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Ferries

Postby anton » 15 Jun 2012, 12:34

I have been watching with interest as the various Ferry schedules have started appearing for both ANES and Dodekanisos - for some reason however none of them are showing a thursday afternoon sailing to Symi - every other day of the week but not thursdays. As we arrive in Rhodes on a thursday afternoon it looks like we may have to stay over and catch a ferry on the friday morning - not a huge problem but one that would be nice to avoid. We aren't coming until mid August so there is a bit of time to sit and wait and hope that the situation changes but does anyone know if there is something special about thursday afternoons or whether a change is likely ?
anton
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Ferries

Postby Kojak » 15 Jun 2012, 12:58

When we were there in May, friends who arrived late on Thursday had to overnight in Rhodes because the only ferry running was on Thursday morning. This might change later in the season of course so keep on checking.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Ferries

Postby Adriana » 17 Jun 2012, 10:16

There are no late ferries on Mondays either on the current schedule. Very annoying.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Ferries

Postby Kojak » 17 Jun 2012, 12:50

That's crazy. In May, I managed to get over to Rhodes and back on the Dodecanese on a Monday
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard