Datca day trips

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Datca day trips

Postby Julia Newton » 25 Jul 2012, 07:41

We have been coming to Symi for a few years as it's the perfect holiday destination and there seems no point going elsewhere. To date we have always been able to go to Turkey - Datca - for a day trip. Last year the fast ferries went there on Saturdays and it seemed a popular trip with many people from Rhodes joining the excursion. I have looked at the ferry time tables for this year and the ferry doesn't seem to be going to Datca. Does this mean that the Triton is making the trip again? I hope so as I love that boat.
We are arriving on 29th August and staying for 4 weeks - can't wait! Am counting down the days now.
Julia Newton
Starting Visitor

Datca day trips

Postby Kojak » 25 Jul 2012, 10:22

I think much depends on the numbers of people going. I know that last year, Yiannis had to cancel a few trips with the Poseidon because there simply weren't enough to break even. As for the big ferries, I'd guess that might apply too in the current economic circumstances, especially with the rocketing price of fuel.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Datca day trips

Postby Adriana » 25 Jul 2012, 12:36

The Triton does not seem to be operating at all this year, only the Poseidon and the Diagoras and neither of these is going to Turkey.

There are various private charters available, however. Please contact Wendy at the Symi Visitor Accommodation office for more information.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Datca day trips

Postby Julia Newton » 26 Jul 2012, 07:12

Thanks for the replies. I guess that I shall just keep my fingers crossed and will come into the office when I arrive. Maybe if the fast boat hadn't started making the trip last year Yiannis could have carried on - as his was always very popular, and had a nicer baot to make the crossing in.
Julia Newton
Starting Visitor

Datca day trips

Postby Adriana » 26 Jul 2012, 07:19

The problem, Julia, is that due to changes in the law the Triton and the Poseidon as excursion boats were only allowed to take 12 passengers for the Datca trip because it is 'international' which meant that they had to charge more for the trip. You see the cost of fuel, clearing agents etc remains pretty much the same regardless of how many passengers are on the boat but dividing those expenses by 12 or by 40 makes a big difference to the ticket price.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Datca day trips

Postby snoopy2 » 26 Jul 2012, 10:41

:) Hope by the time i get back to Symi there is a day trip to Turkey. Went and had a 'hamam?' Real Turkish bath the last time and came out feeling new born. Then went and had a pedicure and hair do - still had time to take in the sights and sounds of the market before a coffee then back to Symi. Loved it!! :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Datca day trips

Postby alan c. » 26 Jul 2012, 12:22

No Triton this year? That's a shame. How much are the other boats charging for round the island with BBQ?
alan c.
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Return to Noticeboard