Holiday arrangement - ferry advise

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby regina » 05 Jul 2012, 09:56

Hi everyone!
I have booked my summer holiday to Symi from August 6th till August 22nd. I've got the flight to Rodhes via Athens, I've got the hotel in Symi (Grace Hotel)and the hotel in Rodhes for the first and last night (Sylvia Hotel). I already asked for your help in the past months and you have been very helpful. Now I need help again as I have to settle the crossing from Rodhes to Symi.
Which ferry company should I have to choose? I checked Dodekanisos website and tried to book ticket online. It looks that there is a boat from Rodhes to Symi on August 7th at 8:30 a.m. and a boat from Symi to Rodhes on August 21st at 5:45 p.m. They both are comfortable to me.
Is it too soon to buy tickets?
Should I have to buy a return ticket? Or I�d better buy an one way ticket and then buy the other one in Symi?
Dodekanisos website gives you the chance of booking online but it should be just a kind of a reservation that you have to confirm. I read that you have to collect the ticket before the departure but I don�t know where. What would you do if you were me?
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 05 Jul 2012, 10:21

Hi Regina, Your holiday is getting close isn't it?

I would book the tickets online. August is a busy time and there is a slight chance that the ferries will be full so it's wise to book in advance.

When you book you will receive an email confirmation. Print it out and take it to the ticket office in Rhodes and they will issue your ticket.

The office is on the harbourfront right where the ferry leaves so you can pick up the ticket when you go to get on the boat. The confirmation email guarantees you a seat so there's no rush.

You could book the return online too. Again, since it's a busy time of year it's probably wise to do that. You may be able to collect both tickets from the Rhodes office on your way to Symi but I'm not sure about that (Andy may be able to tell you). I always pick up the return ticket from Symi Tours which is the ferry company's agent on Symi.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby regina » 05 Jul 2012, 10:33

Thank you Allan for your quick reply!
Yes, my holiday is very close and I really can't wait to see Symi with my own eyes!
I think I'll book tickets asap :-)
This forum has been once again very helpful!
Please, be patient since I'm sure I'll have more questions before I go on holiday! ;-)
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 05 Jul 2012, 10:38

I think I may have been editing my post at the same time as you replied Regina! :D

I've probably answered your question in the last bit of my post. Maybe Andy who is out travel expert will add more information for you.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby regina » 05 Jul 2012, 10:40

I believe so Allan! I've edited my reply post too :-D :-D
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 05 Jul 2012, 12:59

There isn't a lot to add really - I'd very strongly agree with Allan - book your ticket on line, and indeed book for both going to Symi and coming back to Rhodes. The Dokenanisos Pride and Dodekanisos Express ferries leave from Kolonna harbour in Rhodes town, and the ticket office is right by where the ferry will be. The office opens at around 7.30 and if you give them the confirmation you get from the on-line booking, they'll give you the tickets. Booking on line guarantees you will get on the ferry as your space is reserved, though they don't use seat numbers and once you're on board you can sit where you like.
As you board the boat, you will see crew members waiting to either take your bag or show you where to put it, tell them you're going to Symi as there are separate areas for each island the ferry stops at. If they put the bag into a cage in wheels, that will be taken ashore at Symi and unloaded on the harbourside. If the bag is just stacked on deck, collect it as you get off.

If you prefer you can leave booking the Symi-Rhodes ticket until a few days before you leave Symi, buying it from Symi Tours in Yialos. Don't leave it too late though as the 17:45 sailing calls at at least 4 islands before it gets to Symi and might be full unless you've booked a place.
Enjoy your holiday on Symi - I always do.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Sue L » 06 Jul 2012, 00:17

Hi Regina
Some of the sailings on Dodekanisos Seaways recently disappeared I wrote to them and they say the schedules will be updated by Monday.
Enjoy your holiday on Symi
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby regina » 06 Jul 2012, 09:22

Thank you Andy and Sue!
I believe I'll wait till Monday to book tickets.
I'm going to book both tickets and collect them in Rhodes. Since I should be there on the 6th in the afternoon, I'd like to get them after having left my luggage at the hotel. So I don't have to rush to reach the harbour. Do you know what time does the ticket office close in the evening?
I do hope to enjoy my holiday on Symi!!! I'm so excited... in a month I'll be there! :-)))
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 06 Jul 2012, 10:41

Regina#
I'm not sure exactly what time the office closes, it will not be before 18:15 as that's when the last departure of the day is, but an email to:
info@12ne.gr should get a reply within 24 hours with the answer. It may vary on different days of the week.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Sue L » 07 Jul 2012, 15:35

When we traveled last year the ticket office at Kolonna opened about an hour before departure we arrived before that and left our luggage by the office whilst we went and got a meal in town.
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby regina » 16 Jul 2012, 18:55

Thank you all for your advise.
I've booked my tickets and emailed the shipping company. I'm waiting for them to reply.
Now everything has been done and I just have to pack my baggage and leave!!!
Really can't wait :-)
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby regina » 26 Jul 2012, 21:18

Unfortunately no reply from Dodekanisos so far... Anyway, tickets have been booked and I believe I'll try to collect them the day before the crossing. In case the office is closed, I'll go to the harbour the morning after one hour before departure...
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Noticeboard