August heat - how to cope?

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby skeetes » 07 Aug 2012, 11:31

OK - I've been to Symi a few times but never in August. I knew it would be hot, but wasnt anticipating the 40oC as stated on the weather forecast

Does it really get that hot?

Any 'cool' ideas for keeping me and my family from overheating?!

We're staying in a place with no air conditioning and are hoping to go to the St. Nic's beach a lot.
skeetes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby John H » 07 Aug 2012, 13:38

It got up to 45C in July when we were there. During the day it was fine, but then we spent most time on the beach at Pedi, so when it got a bit hot a quick dip in the sea was enough to cool off. We always took two bottles of water to the beach, one of which we froze solid overnight, so that gave us cool water to drink in the afternoon. We did have aircon where we stayed and I have to say I wouldn't have liked to be without it in that heat, but a nice cold Mythos would help to cool you down.
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby sugardens » 07 Aug 2012, 14:22

8-) Being in water and drinking lots of water is the best way of coping with the heat. We were there last month too and it was 40� +. We got up before the sun to get to the shops for supplies and stayed in the shade until the sun was nearly down apart from when we were on the beach and had to get from sunbed to sea or sunbed to taverna! At night have a cold shower before going to bed and you'll get to sleep ok.
We also went on Diagaros boat trip round the island. Lovely breeze at sea and lots of opportunities to swim....high recommend.
Have a great time! 8-)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby skeetes » 07 Aug 2012, 14:37

Great advice. Thanks. I think we'll spend a lot of time at the beach and the frozen water bottle idea is a good one.

Does anyone know which of the supermarkets deliver? We're staying up on the hill above yialos so I dont fancy carrying our food and drink up there.

For our accommodation, someone also said to place a large bowl of water in front of a fan and that's supposed to cool there air down. I'll give that a try.

Any more ideas?
skeetes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Kojak » 07 Aug 2012, 16:51

I think Taxas delivers and perhaps the Campos supermarket in Chorio does. Adriana will know for certain.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby skeetes » 07 Aug 2012, 18:01

Thanks Kojak. I'm really looking forward to some super cool mythos' too!
skeetes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 07 Aug 2012, 20:01

To answer your question about temperatures Skeetes, the thermometer on Pacho's wall in the image at the top of this page is reasonably accurate and I noticed it got up to 44 degrees today. :o
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby regina » 07 Aug 2012, 22:10

I'm in Symi right now (at Trawler) and I can confirm it's hot... Windy but hot!!
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby John H » 08 Aug 2012, 08:20

One of the ex-pats living on Symi recommended we took a daily dose of Almora when it was really hot. It's an 'Oral Electrolyte' which is supposed to help replace the salts you lose with perspiration, and aid re-hydration better than just drinking water. It's available at the Pharmacy on Symi and has a rather unpleasant artificial banana flavour, but my other half reckoned it helped.
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby David » 08 Aug 2012, 11:40

I used to have to go in the summer when my oldest was still at school. All the advice above is correct, plus plenty of sun cream! One word of warning fluids are essential, but in very hot weather don't just drink water as it flushes out the salts etc, you must drink juices, fizzy drinks and even beer! This bit is hard to write! Not too much beer!
David
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby skeetes » 08 Aug 2012, 14:52

Oh my word Allan, 44oC ! Well look out for the somewhat pasty (white) couple with kids on Friday onwards. I think we'll be taking things VERY steadily. Plenty of cafe/bar stops on our way down from Harani to Yialos :-) (correction to early bit about us staying in Yialos)

John/David - Good points about the replacing of fluids and salts etc. Will go to the Pharmacy for the banana drink and fizzy drinks etc.

So, this is my last post before we leave the UK. and just a quick note to thank you all for your help and advice. I cant think of any other place where there's a community of people who help out like this. Thanks.

Pete, Katrina, Jake and Tom
skeetes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Kojak » 08 Aug 2012, 18:02

There is a simple home-made resipe to rehydrate:-
Ingredients:

Six (6) level teaspoons of Sugar

Half (1/2) level teaspoon of Salt

One Litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled - 5 cupfuls (each cup about 200 ml.)

Preparation Method:

Stir the mixture till the salt and sugar dissolve.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 08 Aug 2012, 22:59

:o Kojak - you are a man of many talents. Taking your recipe with me on holiday. 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 08 Aug 2012, 23:49

Hello Snoopy. I got that recipe from my brother who lived and worked in the Gulf for most of his working life. They used to take salt tablets but the recipe was an instant fall back if tablets were unavailable - which, when he was in war-torn Aden they often were. This was years before the days of electro-whatsit rehydrating drinks. :D :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 09 Aug 2012, 09:46

Kojak - in my book the olde recipes are the best and all that has come after has been based on what went before. I would rather spend my hard earned euros on that little bit more expensive wine in the evening than electro-whatsit drinks - anyway recent research found the elctro drinks had more sugar than any of the other drinks such as pepsi etc and unless you were an athlete it was piling on the sugar and of course sugar in concentrate dehydrates so your recipe is for my - ta muchly!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Adriana » 09 Aug 2012, 11:27

If you are diabetic or dieting you can replace the sugar with one teaspoon of granulated xylitol. Use this mix to keep my diabetic dad revived on our SA road trips. :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard