Support Group for Refugees and Migrants in Simi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby Adriana » 28 Sep 2012, 12:04

PRESS RELEASE � Symi 24/09/2012

The Support Group for Refugees and Migrants in Simi was created by island residents who wanted to help improve the living conditions and health of the migrants detained in Simi Police Department last week. And for those are expected to come in the future. This movement was born out of the needs that have arisen from the constant arrivals of migrants on the island and triggered by the statements that have seen the light of day by representatives and have profound affects humanitarian and democratic sentiments of the community.

The Support Group for Refugees and Immigrants to Simi has met with the police on the island, the representatives of the Greek Council for Refugees, the team of Doctors Without Borders who visited Symi, and detained immigrants and has been informed about the needs which must urgently be addressed.

Until now we have collected, and sent to the police department, clothing and items to help hygiene, have arranged a designated collection point for such donations (Sunflower Laundry, Yialos) have sent food from volunteers, and started fundraising for the purpose of the group.

It is worth noting that the whole effort has been strengthened both financially and morally by a large number of Simi visitors who also want to positively help to provide decent living conditions for the refugees. The immediate plans of the Support Group for Refugees and Immigrants to Symi is the offer � if approved course � of voluntary labor and materials to help the situation. There in only a single toilet to serve all immigrants, and an aim is the construction of a new one, or if it is not possible to rent a chemical one. Followed by a series of actions aimed at informing the islanders of the plight of the refugees. (Translation by Google and James Collins - Symi Dream.)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Adriana » 28 Sep 2012, 12:06

A fund raising event for the above group is taking place at the Symi Gallery in Chorio from 8 p.m and various local musicians are giving of their time and talent for this worthwhile cause.

If you are on Symi please support this.

There, but for the grace of God, go we...
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby anton » 28 Sep 2012, 17:39

Just a thought but would it be worth setting up a donations page on justgiving to allow people not on Symi at the moment to contribute to this if they feel they want to ?
anton
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby frenchreporter » 08 Oct 2012, 16:36

Hello Adriana,

I am a french reporter currently preparing a report about the solidarity which is taking place in your islands towards migrants.
Can I reach you on an email adress or could you email me so we can exchange informations?

I will come soon with my camera to shoot a complete report about the situation for french tv.

Thank you very much.

Best regards
Julia Montfort
frenchreporter
Starting Visitor

Postby Adriana » 09 Oct 2012, 10:57

Hello Julia,

Please can you email me on our office email address symi-vis@otenet.gr and I will then forward your email to the relevant people.

Thanks.

Adriana

PS At the moment there are no refugees currently staying on Symi as they have been transferred to detention centres elsewhere. However as this is an on going problem the support group is continuing to collect money and items for the next arrivals.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard