Winter on Symi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Winter on Symi

Postby Stine Maria » 08 Oct 2012, 20:53

Hi,

I�m going to Symi, for the very first time, arriving at the end of october and staying till at least february.
I�m wondering if anyone has any experiences about the weather in winter? I have a warm down coat that I use during winter in Denmark, will I need it on Symi? And what about my warm winter boots?

Looking forward to my first trip to Greece :)
Stine Maria
Stine Maria
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Winter on Symi

Postby Allan » 08 Oct 2012, 21:49

Hello and welcome to the chat page.

I haven't stayed in winter but I do know the weather can be very changeable. Cold, wet and windy at times (but not as cold as Denmark!) and then sunny at other times.

If you look back through Adriana's blog and also the Symidream blog to the winter period last year you should get a good feel for what a Symi winter is like.

The warm down coat is probably a good idea though I doubt you'll need warm boots. You will need waterproof shoes though, when it rains on Symi it can rain HARD!

The temperature can get down to around zero at odd times but that's very rare. In fact it doesn't often get into single figures.

There are far more sunny days in winter than cold wet ones and I'm sure you will love it.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Winter on Symi

Postby Stine Maria » 09 Oct 2012, 09:17

Thank you, Allan! I will definitely bring the coat then.
I�m sure I will love it too :)
Stine Maria
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Winter on Symi

Postby Tove » 09 Oct 2012, 20:21

Hej Stine Maria. Du skal bo i vores hus og jeg ser frem til at m�de dig og din mor, selv om det kun bliver kort. Jeg sender noget materiale en af dagene til din mor. Hvis du f�lger med her p� siden, vel du se at der er lidt problemer med at f� nye sejlplaner for vinteren, men I kan komme over den 31. om morgenen.
Som Allan skriver er det mere regnt�j end vinterst�vler der er brug for.
Ser frem til I kommer. Tove
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Winter on Symi

Postby Stine Maria » 10 Oct 2012, 14:21

Hej Tove.
Tak for info - vi gl�der os!!
Stine
Stine Maria
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Winter on Symi

Postby Adriana » 11 Oct 2012, 09:21

Depending on where you are staying you might want to bring the warm winter boots to wear indoors - Symi houses don't have much in the way of heating and stone floors can be very cold underfoot!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Winter on Symi

Postby Tove » 12 Oct 2012, 09:45

Adriana , Stine maria and her mother Birgitte are staying in my house over the winter. And today, I hope, I shall pick my wood burner up and have it installed. really look forward to it.
But woolen socks is not a bad idea.
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Winter on Symi

Postby snoopy2 » 12 Oct 2012, 11:24

:) Tove - living here in n.e. Scotland the winters can be very cold. I installed a wood burner to my cottage about 5 years ago and what a fabulous decision it was. Heats the lower level of the house and most of the way up stairs. Always snug as a bug without having to use my central heating which costs a fortune. You and your guests will love it. :oops:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Winter on Symi

Postby Tove » 12 Oct 2012, 18:31

I have one in my house in DK and know how good it is. The only problem on Symi is that you have to go out and collect wood and chop it (gives the warm twice) but I am working to find some to buy.
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Noticeboard