Getting connected

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Getting connected

Postby sugardens » 12 May 2012, 07:27

Any of you Symi gurus tell me how long it takes to get internet connection and the cost?? :)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Getting connected

Postby D and E » 12 May 2012, 08:54

If your device has WiFi, Internet will cost you nothing.

Last September sitting in Elpidas she saw me with my iPhone and along with my Mythos was a slip of paper with the access code - and access speed was faster than we get here in Mid Wales !!!

Most bars / cafes have wifi access and I have seen waiters helping people configure their laptops to gain acccess - all part of the service on Symi.

I am not sure where Internet access is provided if you don't have a smartphone / tablet / or laptop but The Ringo Bar up in Horio near the bus stop used to provide access on its computers for a few euro.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Getting connected

Postby Gemma1 » 12 May 2012, 09:38

Last time I was on Symi (sept 2010) I used the internet at Caf� Platia which cost 1.60 eu an hour and they had a few computers. However if I sat in the harbour I could get free internet on my smart phone, which was fine for browsing. The Olive Tree in Horio offer free wifi and have a lap top you can use if you haven't got your own.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Getting connected

Postby sugardens » 12 May 2012, 09:40

Thanks for the tips but I'm talking about having an internet connection to where we'd be living. :)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Getting connected

Postby D and E » 13 May 2012, 19:45

Have stayed in a variety of accommodation over the many years of visiting Symi and have never found built in Internet connections in any of the rooms - hotel or self catering.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Getting connected

Postby Adriana » 14 May 2012, 08:29

You would need to go to Spacephone Symi in Yialos with your passport and device and buy a dongle and a contract with Wind Hellas. This is assuming your devices have a USB port. Otherwise he will fix you up with a special SIM card for your ipad. Be warned, however, that this is likely to be quite an expensive exercise in comparison to UK prices for the equivalent. We pay 50 euros a month for ours. Vodaphone offer a similar facility which you can buy in Rhodes but their signal on Symi isn't very good and you can't buy additional time for the Vodafone one here on Symi. Wind Hellas (Tim) built the transmitter on the top of the Vigla so understandably their 3G coverage is better!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Getting connected

Postby sugardens » 14 May 2012, 16:00

:) Thanks Adriana. For a protracted stay we'd bring laptops but I see what you mean about the costs. In the UK we pay about �30 from BT.
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Getting connected

Postby MuleHouse » 17 Oct 2012, 20:13

If you have your own house on Symi, you can have internet from OTE in about 10 days.

You get a telephone line and an ADSL modem.

Price is 61 Euro every second month.

The speed you get is 2Mb download and 512 Kb upload - not very high.

For the same price I get 15MB/900K with 100 Television channels and free telephone calls to 100 countries on landlines in France
MuleHouse
Starting Visitor

Return to Noticeboard