Water

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Water

Postby ali » 05 Jul 2013, 22:56

Hi, I'm excited to be coming to Symi again next week. My husband and I are staying in the Taxiarchis appts. Can anyone tell me how much the water shortages are affecting things up in Chorio? I'm always up for an adventure and don't mind roughing it but wouldn't mind finding out whether I can shower and do some hand washing or whether I need to bring an extra suitcase full of wet-wipes!
ali
Starting Visitor

Water

Postby Allan » 05 Jul 2013, 23:40

Welcome to the chat page ali.

It's very unlikely you'll have any problems with water at Taxiarchis, his water tanks store a huge amount and he uses recycled 'grey water' for watering the gardens so none is wasted.

He put in his tanks and plumbing system back in the days when the water supply situation was much worse than it is now so it will easily cope.

Wetwipes are always useful though!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Water

Postby snoopy2 » 06 Jul 2013, 00:16

[quote="ali"]

Hi, I'm excited to be coming to Symi again next week. My husband and I are staying in the Taxiarchis appts. Can anyone tell me how much the water shortages are affecting things up in Chorio? I'm always up for an adventure and don't mind roughing it but wouldn't mind finding out whether I can shower and do some hand washing or whether I need to bring an extra suitcase full of wet-wipes!
[/quote]You have the med on your doorstep so why worry about wipes -just have a swim!!! Been to Symi enough to know you will be ok waterwise but as Allan says - always handy.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Water

Postby sugardens » 06 Jul 2013, 09:48

8-) Taxiarchis apartments are extremely well organised and that's why it's our accommodation of choice. Doubt you'll need wet-wipes but if you do remember not to put them down the loo (or any paper) as it will definitely clog up the water works!!
p.s. wet-wipes cause problems in even the most sophisticated sewage systems as they don't disintegrate in water.
Have a great holiday. ;)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Water

Postby ali » 07 Jul 2013, 20:23

Thanks everyone for all your reassuring replies.

When I first came to Symi 20 years ago, we only flushed the loo when we had washing up water left over, and we only washed up when we'd washed ourselves in it first...in fact we had probably washed a vegetable or two in it before that! It was all part of the adventure, but I'm glad that things aren't that bad these days.

I returned for the first time last year and there was plenty of water at the Taxiarchis, but on Adriana's blog recently she mentioned water being rationed to 3 days a week in Chorio due to problems with the desalination plant. With so many rooms to cater for I'm glad to hear Frank has big tanks!

I'm really not too worried.. like you say Snoopy, there is the beautiful warm sea to swim in. Can't wait!! and don't worry Sugardens, I was only joking about the wet wipes and you're right to mention the problems they cause. :)
ali
Starting Visitor

Return to Noticeboard