Sept Ferries Rhodes - Symi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby Always Baking » 13 Aug 2013, 11:16

Looking at the boat timetable l have, it looks like there are two ferries leaving Rhodes for Symi, 8.30am and 19.00. Are these the only two times l can sail to Symi ? Thnx
Always Baking
Visitor

Postby Kojak » 13 Aug 2013, 11:20

What date are you going, Always Baking?
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Always Baking » 13 Aug 2013, 11:27

Woops sorry ! Friday 6th From Rhodes :oops:
Always Baking
Visitor

Postby Andy W » 13 Aug 2013, 11:42

There is also a sailing from Rhodes at 09:30 via Panormitis, getting into Yialos at 13:20. Although intended mainly for the day-trip trade it is a scheduled ferry and you could use it.
Otherwise, yes, the standard morning and evening boats - in fact there are probably two boats at 19:00, one being the Piraeus car ferry and the other the Dodekanisos Express catamaran, which will get you there 40 minutes or so quicker but cost more and leave from a more convenient part of the water front. It may seem silly having two at the same time, but they serve very different markets, the "big boat" mainly carries vehicles and their drivers or island-hoppers going to Tilos, Nissyros etc. The Express has to go in order to run an early morning sailing back to Rhodes the next day.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Always Baking » 13 Aug 2013, 15:34

Thnx for that Andy. So if l go for the faster 7pm sailing, where does it go from exactly ? l dont know what to do. l'm staying in a real treat of a place in Rhodes old town, for that first night before Symi, so l didnt really want to leave so early the next morning... So long as the boat gets me to Symi in time, so l dont miss Georgio's music night!
Always Baking
Visitor

Postby Allan » 13 Aug 2013, 15:50

It's your holiday of course but personally I'd get up in time for the 8.30 AM ferry. Time spent on Symi is SO much nicer than on Rhodes.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Always Baking » 13 Aug 2013, 16:05

You're right really Allan. Actually, when l stayed for my wk in April, l hated almost everything about Rhodes, so much so, l renamed it 'Tatty Trinket Town'...then someone told me, l hadnt seen the best part of Rhodes, Lindos. l came back from Lindos, walked into the bar of my hotel, and there were about 20 people all waiting for me to return with my report. ''Well'' they said. ''Triple Tatty Trinket Town'' l replied!...And l suppose l'd probably have to 'check out' before midday or so. You've probably made my mind up for me. Do private boats offer a paid lift from Rhodes to Symi ever...mind you, they might be Pirates, and l'll be whisked off, never to be seen again :o
Always Baking
Visitor

Postby Allan » 13 Aug 2013, 16:20

If I can get up in time for the 6.00AM ferry in May, I'm sure you can manage 8.30 :P
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andy W » 13 Aug 2013, 16:44

The 8:30 am and the faster 7 pm ferry both go from Kolonna, right under the walls of the Old Town.
Unfortunately the only private boats that are likely to travel between Rhodes and Symi are yachts, and there are several different places on the Rhodes waterfront that yachts moor, well over a mile from one end to the other. It would be a long shot to find a yacht skipper that was both going to Symi at a time which suits you and was willing to take you. Most yachts moor up overnight and set off again in the morning, so no real improvement for you.
The ferry timetable has to cover a wide range of passenger requirements - in the past there have been several sailings mid-afternoon but apart from on Wednesdays they've all disappeared due to lack of custom, or because the demand for a boat to connect with flight arrivals from the rest of Europe (inevitably arriving lunchtime onwards) was greater.
The best time to explore historic Rhodes is midwinter, when it still isn't cold, but all the tourist tat has been stored away until spring. There are still hotels, shops, and restaurants because Rhodes is a working city as well as a tourist resort.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 13 Aug 2013, 19:58

Always Baking wrote:
You're right really Allan. Actually, when l stayed for my wk in April, l hated almost everything about Rhodes, so much so, l renamed it 'Tatty Trinket Town'...then someone told me, l hadnt seen the best part of Rhodes, Lindos. l came back from Lindos, walked into the bar of my hotel, and there were about 20 people all waiting for me to return with my report. ''Well'' they said. ''Triple Tatty Trinket Town'' l replied!...And l suppose l'd probably have to 'check out' before midday or so. You've probably made my mind up for me. Do private boats offer a paid lift from Rhodes to Symi ever...mind you, they might be Pirates, and l'll be whisked off, never to be seen again :o

Rhodes new town is touristy but the old town is charming and has some really interesting places to see - just need to winkle them out. I spent a very pleasant holiday in Lindos - keeping away from the throng and finding quiet beaches along interesting walks. Everywhere has soemething to offer its a case of DYOR.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Always Baking » 13 Aug 2013, 22:23

But Snoopy2 Dear heart, life's too short for 'Winkling'!! There are sooo many places l want to go to. Rhodes let me down! l honestly went with a smiley face, quite gobsmacked to find, worse than grubby taxi's, broken pavements, lots of dog dirt, broken sunbeds and empty cans scattered along the Lindos beach where l had lunch right in a beach bar. Non stop tacky 'Rhodos' printed towels/soaps/you name it..exactly the same in Lindos. lt reminded me of Benidorm! it was only when l landed on Symi, did l find the Greece-for-me!....What was the question Snoopy ? lol
Always Baking
Visitor

Postby Eliza » 13 Aug 2013, 22:51

But. We must also remember, each to his own one mans meat is another mans poison. Rhodes old town is wonderful but then I love the history.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 13 Aug 2013, 23:35

Always Baking wrote:
But Snoopy2 Dear heart, life's too short for 'Winkling'!! There are sooo many places l want to go to. Rhodes let me down! l honestly went with a smiley face, quite gobsmacked to find, worse than grubby taxi's, broken pavements, lots of dog dirt, broken sunbeds and empty cans scattered along the Lindos beach where l had lunch right in a beach bar. Non stop tacky 'Rhodos' printed towels/soaps/you name it..exactly the same in Lindos. lt reminded me of Benidorm! it was only when l landed on Symi, did l find the Greece-for-me!....What was the question Snoopy ? lol

No question 'dear heart' - just an observation and the main beach at Lindos is a mess that's why we had a lovely time round the corner at the quiet one which was clean. Easy if you read up first - that way you will get the benefit of all the places you visit - 'dear heat'!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Always Baking » 14 Aug 2013, 00:29

Well, that's the nearest l've ever been to being called 'hot stuff' ! lol
Always Baking
Visitor

Postby Adriana » 14 Aug 2013, 11:48

The Friday 'big boat'goes to Kastellorizon during the day so although is should leave around 7 p.m and get to Symi an hour and forty minutes later, in practice this seldom happens and you are more likely to arrive in Symi around 10 p.m. or worse. It is better to take the Express, even if it is more expensive, to avoid hanging about in Akandia for hours and arriving in Symi in the middle of the night. 8-)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Robert » 14 Aug 2013, 18:18

hello! We are also travelling on 6th - and shall be on the 7pm Express as it is definitely the best option for us as our plane does not land till 12 noon. We shall spend the afternoon in Nireaus - eating glorious food! But what I wanted to say if that I think AB is being very unkind to Lindos - Ive been going there for 15 years and though it has changed it is still a great place to stay and offers sandy beaches withing 5 minutes walk. St Pauls Bay is glorious (and clean) there are lots of excellent places to eat and good nightlife too. And Lindos - if anything - is going upmarket not down - the biggest growth is in luxury hotels in the village and around it. And people like Exclusively Lindos offer really good accomodation. Out of the demise of the cheaper end of the package market has come a lot of good as people have re-thought the offering! We are leaving Symi after a week to stay in Lindos - it makes an ideal two centre holiday and also lets you explore the rest of Rhodes Island which has much to offer!
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Always Baking » 15 Aug 2013, 22:02

That's very kind and thoughtful advise Robert. l am staying at The Zacosta for my first night (many thanks for the recommendation in anticipation!) Then l'm on the early morning ferry to Symi, returning Sunday 15th where l've booked Hotel Nathalie on Rhodes for my last night.
l'm sure there are lovely parts of Rhodes that l never got to see. However,my week on Rhodes remains 'uncool' and l feel there are too many other places on my wish list, so that pushes 'Rhodes again' down to the bottom of the list!
l look forward to meeting you and your wife on Symi..Somewhere, Somehow, Sometime whilst l'm there!
Always Baking
Visitor

Return to Noticeboard