35,000 Euro - Bargain detached house in Chorio.

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby Capt.Planoudis » 15 Aug 2013, 23:47

As my mother's family are originally from Symi, I've consequently been going to Symi since the 1950's when my parents would take me there for holidays.
Now a cousin of mine in Athens has married a chap from Symi and with the recession really biting now, they're struggling financially with 2 young sons and have decided to sell their old inheritance on Symi!

The house they own is in a decrepit state up in Chorio with excellent views and needs some work done, though it does have a good solid roof, walls, floors, doors, windows, electricity and water of course!

It's a detached house on a plot around 80sqm

Ground floor living space of building is 22 sq.mtrs.
First floor living space of building is 22 sq.mtrs.

The house also has a lovely walled courtyard....

I'm sure that you've all seen those traditional houses on Symi in the village....

My cousin is desperate for a quick sale and is therefore only asking around 35,000 Euro.... a real bargain which reflects the recession!

I've got pictures and some basic video of the house which I'll try and figure how to upload if possible on this forum! Or can send to anybody who is interested! Just PM me.... Paul
Capt.Planoudis
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Capt.Planoudis » 16 Aug 2013, 00:21

I just put the 3 pics and 3 videos on my dropbox and they can be downloaded by anybody from this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6jing1r4ci96xgx/ohzXBaSydM

When you go into this, just hit the 'Download' button at the top right of the page and you'll see them quickly downloaded to your hardrive... hopefully.... :(
If it doesn't work, just send me a PM and I'll send you the stuff!
Capt.Planoudis
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Adriana » 16 Aug 2013, 08:48

Which part of Chorio is it in? It looks very high up from the photos. If you know the name of the nearest church that would help. :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Tove » 17 Aug 2013, 07:27

Could it be up around the playground behind Stavros?
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Capt.Planoudis » 19 Aug 2013, 15:13

It is high up in Chorio... by the big church which is up at the top near the big bends in the road.
I've not seen it for donkey's years and would probably get lost looking for it up there..... I only generally know that area as our own piece of land is above it, even higher!
Capt.Planoudis
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Capt.Planoudis » 19 Aug 2013, 15:24

Okay, just spoke to my cousin. She said that the church it's close to is called 'Agia Triada'... it's not far from that church.
She also said that if anybody is over there and wants to look it over any time at all, the relatives in Symi have the keys and can arrange to unlock and meet with you any time. Just let me know if you want a look.
Capt.Planoudis
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Capt.Planoudis » 15 Oct 2013, 14:59

Just back from a couple of weeks away playing with boats and catching up on the site and what has been going on as I had very limited internet access while away, only to find, much to my annoyance, that my cousins have not been following up on those people who had shown interest in the property and contacted each of you to show you round! :evil:
Really sorry about that, I'll be following up over the next few days and contact each of you personally when I have the full story myself!
Capt.Planoudis
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby sugardens » 16 Oct 2013, 08:37

:evil: I am one of those people and believe this is one big con. I'm currently travelling back from Symi where there is excellent wifi and other internet connections so no excuses there!
I think you are a time-waster and I'm angry that I believed you in the first place. Let that be a lesson to me and any other readers of this blog!
If it sounds too good to be true then it's probably not true. :evil: :evil:
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Adriana » 17 Oct 2013, 08:07

Su, I don't think he was saying that he was away on Symi. If he was away playing with boats he could well not have had easy internet access. There are plenty of places in the world where one cannot pick up 3G or a wifi signal - my house half way up the Vigla in today's rain was one of the them! :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Capt.Planoudis » 26 Oct 2013, 19:38

Hello all.... just picked up on this thread via a friendly member sending me a private email of support....
Firstly sugerdens, I am sorry for you if you felt let down... However, as I made very clear, this is not my own house, it belongs to my cousin and her husband and before I left for my last minute brazilian sailing trip (certainly not the Med at this time of year!) I did speak to a couple of you who were interested and passed your mobile numbers to my cousin to follow up on, which they didn't! I'm sorry about that, but totally out of my controls. However, the moment I was back in the UK I followed up, but too late for you. So, where's the 'time-wasting'? Where is this incredible 'con' you speak of? Did it cost you anything? I'm quite sure that you never spent your whole holiday in Symi sat at your hotel next to your mobile waiting for a call which never came! So where was your 'waste of time'? I would have hoped that your holiday left you a tad more chilled out than is evident sugerdens.
I'm afraid that this is an indication of the big problem which some Brits face when they expect their own sense of urgency and professionalism in all things to be reciprocated by the Greek people they rely on. One will often be left in despair in that case I'm afraid and perhaps Greece is not the best place to attempt to buy a home in that case! I'm majority Greek, speak Greek quite well, so can communicate and still find these things frustrating myself!
Capt.Planoudis
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Return to Noticeboard