Ferries

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Ferries

Postby Allan » 24 Apr 2014, 12:13

We get a lot of questions on the forum from people struggling to find up to date information on ferry schedules, a subject that puzzles new visitors and Symi regulars alike. The purpose of this post is to try to answer as many of the common questions as possible and it is pinned to keep it at the top of the topic list where it's easy to find.

The forum software hides links in posts unless you are logged in so to make this post useful to non-members of the forum I have added search hints (in red) to the links which will still show up even if you're not logged in.

By far the most authoritative resource for all Symi transport related information is Andy Ward's travel blog: (search for symivisitor-accommodation blog). Andy covers everything you need to know, from flights to ferries to taxis and even buses.

Most people travel to Symi via Rhodes but Kos is an option which Andy covers in detail on his blog. The rest of this post assumes you will be flying to Rhodes and looking for a ferry for your onward travel to Symi.

There are currently two ferry companies that are licensed for the Rhodes-Symi route: Dodekanisos Seaways and Blue Star Ferries.

Dodekanisos is by far the most popular since it runs a fleet of three ferries (two high-speed catamarans and one car ferry) between Rhodes and Symi (plus many other islands) providing several crossings per day on most days during the summer tourist season. The timetable up to the end of September has been published on their website where you can also book tickets. The website is: (search for 12ne).

Blue Star Ferries' Diagoras is the 'big boat' from Athens to Rhodes and back which calls at Symi in both directions twice a week, on Wednesday and Friday. The Blue Star website is: (search for blue star ferries greece) where you can check the timetable.

Digging through online timetables can get frustrating so Andy has kindly done all the legwork for us and produced a "Quick ferry guide" on his blog showing all the Rhodes-Symi-Rhodes crossings during the summer season. The guide also shows the Rhodes port area that is used for each ferry. The guide is at: (You can find the link on the blog - search for symivisitor-accommodation blog). The guide is in pdf format so it's easy to print out and keep. I've converted it to an image format and included it at the bottom of this post for easy reference but it's wise to check Andy's blog in case there have been any changes.

A few relevant comments from recent posts about ferries:

Yes, there are lots of ferries after 30 September, but we don't know the timetable yet.

No, we can't guarantee there won't be timetable changes, in fact there always are. Keep reading the travel blog to see them.

"Should I book in advance?" Yes, especially for sailings on Dodecanese Pride and Express which can fill up in season. You can book on line, take the confirmation with you and pick the tickets up at the ticket office on the quayside.

"Why can't I use one of the day trip boats sailing from Mandraki Harbour/the Sea Star sailing from Mandraki Harbour?" Because they aren't licensed to operate as ferries on this route, so you aren't insured, and it is illegal. It's enforced by banning people from travelling with luggage.

"My guidebook says I should use the Symi I or Symi II, and refers to a company called ANES?" Your guidebook is out of date. Symi I went into semi-retirement on Crete years ago and potters around just offshore there, Symi II hasn't turned a propeller in anger since November 2010. ANES does exist but doesn't currently operate ferries to Symi, You'll also find loads of ticket-agency websites mentioning these ferries. Tells you how accurate their information is.

Andy's quick ferry guide, Rhodes to Symi:

[img]http://www.symi.eu.com/images/ferries-summer-14-out-3.jpg[/img]

Quick ferry guide, Symi to Rhodes:

[img]http://www.symi.eu.com/images/ferries-summer-14-rtn-3.jpg[/img]
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Ferries

Postby Andy W » 30 May 2014, 13:40

For anyone planning to catch the early morning Dodekanisos Seaways ferries on Sundays or Mondays from Symi to Rhodes, you're OK this weekend (31 May/1 June), but from 7th June they're retimed to leave at 07:30. Don't sleep in and miss the boat!

Departure times on Wednesday and Thursday mornings are unchanged at 07:45.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferries

Postby Adriana » 06 Jun 2014, 08:38

There is no early boat from Symi to Rhodes on a Saturday so if you flight leaves during the day on Saturday you will have to check out on Friday and spend Friday night in Rhodes. :cry:

This is presumably because it does not make economic sense for Dodecanese Seaways to send a boat over from Rhodes on a Friday evening as the Blue Star fulfils that function, so there is nothing overnighting on Symi to take people back to Rhodes on Saturday morning. Same story as last year :cry:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard