Athens to Symi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Athens to Symi

Postby katy » 02 Nov 2019, 13:10

Hi, I've been trying to find the report from a forum member who travelled down to Symi from Athens this year. Can anyone remember where it might be on the website please? We would love to try it next year and hope to pick up some tips.
Thanks
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: Athens to Symi

Postby Allan » 02 Nov 2019, 13:26

That was me Katy and I would strongly recommend giving it a try. The original thread is here: https://symiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3027
If you need any more information by all means just ask.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby katy » 02 Nov 2019, 17:08

Ah thank you Allan, I'll have a look at it now.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby katy » 15 Nov 2019, 10:50

Allan, I'm assuming that ferry timetables from Athens won't be published until Springtime? Would really love to book Athens flights early but it's a bit of a gamble. We were hoping to spend 2 nights in Athens, I suppose it would only mean 1 or 2 days extra in Athens if the ferries don't correspond?
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 15 Nov 2019, 14:00

Hi Katy

As I'm sure you are aware, ferry timetables do change but the Bluestar ones tend to be the same (or similar) every year. This year the timetable was published very early, about January 1st which was a huge relief, it meant my plan to take the Sunday afternoon ferry was possible and I could go ahead and book a hotel in Athens. We flew to Athens on the Friday afternoon which gave us a full day and a half to explore and still get the ferry, arriving in Symi at breakfast time on Monday. The other sailings leaving Piraeus on Tuesday and Thursday were less convenient, the Sunday one was perfect.

I like to have a "plan B" when travelling in Greece and this time the plan B was to fly down from Athens to Rhodes. Not something I wanted to do but it was an option if there was a problem with the ferry and since there are several flights a day we could get to Rhodes in time to be on Symi the same day. Thankfully, we didn't need to use that option but it was reassuring to know it was a possibility.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby katy » 15 Nov 2019, 18:15

Ah thanks Allan that's very helpful. Plans are afoot to pore over timetables/flights this weekend.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Noticeboard