Busy days.

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Busy days.

Postby Lisa B » 13 May 2018, 10:19

Hi All, out of interest is there a quieter day than any other to spend time around the harbour? Visiting in Sept :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: Busy days.

Postby Allan » 14 May 2018, 09:05

That's an interesting question Lisa and one that I've never really considered before.

Personally, I keep away from the harbour from around lunch time until late afternoon every day unless I'm specifically going down there for lunch so I've never noticed a difference from one day to the next.

But it's never actually busy compared to other islands, just busier when the day trip boats are in.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby big gus » 14 May 2018, 09:12

Change over days are quieter, also if I remember correctly there's one day a week that the day trip boats don't come.
big gus
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby D and E » 14 May 2018, 11:52

Hi Lisa B,

Allan is spot on - we have never seen it busy enough in September to prevent an ouzo stop or lunch in any of our favourite places.

One of the great joys is watching the hustle and bustle of the day boats arriving. They normally stagger their arrival and departure and so many of the day visitors are in organised groups that are taken to the restaurants that can cope with large parties - Nireus and International to name but two. But even then there is always several spare tables.

A time we love if we are having a "Port Day" (and that means Yialos not the fortified wine :o ) is when we sit in Elpida's and watch the last of the day visitors stroll, speed walk and sometimes run to catch their boat back to Rodos and Symi returns to its peaceful self. Follow this with a gentle walk to the side of the harbour opposite the Clock Tower and watch that late afternoon, early evening sun bathe the houses with that magical light as we partake of a small libation is always a highlight for us.

Sunday's are a great day to spend around the harbour as the day boats seem to unite many Greek families who meet up in the various cafe bars on arrival and this gives Yialos a very special feeling.

Count the days Lisa B.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 14 May 2018, 12:24

Thank you all for your replies.
D&E you've certainly given me a nice idea there, love people watching! We're staying on the opposite side to the clock tower so that'll be handy for the view you mentioned.
Spending days just looking at beaches and restaurants dreaming of where we'll be :)

It cant come quick enough.....
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Noticeboard