Anastasia apts in chorio

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Anastasia apts in chorio

Postby rockbottom » 23 Aug 2017, 12:02

How many steps up to the Anastasia apts?
rockbottom
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Re: Anastasia apts in chorio

Postby Allan » 23 Aug 2017, 12:30

Hello and welcome to Symi Chat

I'm guessing from your question that you've read about "all the steps on Symi" and are worried that you HAVE to climb flights of steps to get to Anastasia apartments. Well, you don't! :D

Chorio (The Village) is a settlement in its own right and whilst it is on a hill, there are few steps between your accommodation and the village centre with its bars, restaurants and shops. What you may be thinking of is the "Kali Strata" which is the route connecting Chorio and the harbour (Yialos). That is a wide avenue which climbs the hillside and consists of sloping sections and, yes, steps. A total of over 300. But you don't have to use that route if you don't want to. There is an hourly bus service from the harbour to the village (and beyond) and there are also taxis.

The bus will drop you at the top of the road where you will have a short downhill stroll to your accommodation. The taxi can take you to the bottom of that slope where the path to Anastasia is short and almost flat. Getting from Anastasia to the main bus stop in Chorio is more or less flat and will take you five minutes or so.

There is a flight of stairs from your apartments down onto the road where the bus can drop you if you want and whilst that is a flight of real steps (unlike the Kali Strata for instance) it's relatively short at around 20-30 steps (never counted them so could be wrong) and you can avoid them completely by getting on and off the bus at different places.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Aug 2017, 07:00

As Allan has said there aren't many steps to the Anastasia (unlike the Irini in Yialos which has a lot of steps up to the accommodation). The route I usually take is past the Sunrise and down a slight slope to the right. On this route there is a small flight of steps (5 or 6) down to the next street where the Anastasia is situated. When you get to the Anastasia some of the accommodation is on the flat though the studios are down a flight of steps (perhaps 10, I haven't counted them). As Allan has mentioned there is a flight of steps leading from the Anastasia past the entrance to the Secret Garden and down to the road that leads to Pedi. I haven't counted them either (might do when I'm back next year ;) ) but 30 is probably about right.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby rockbottom » 24 Aug 2017, 13:11

Thank you for that info Gemma, we usually stay in Irini studios but fancied a change. Are the Anastasia apartments reasonable?
rockbottom
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby D and E » 24 Aug 2017, 16:43

Hi Rockbottom,

We have stayed in Irini once a few years ago and recall the room being quite large but have stayed in Anastasia many times, the last time being just last month and we return there again in 3 weeks time.

The property is on two levels made up of four rooms with a communal balcony area that sits under a vine on the lower level. There is plenty of space for each room to have a table & chairs outside the room. The upper level has one room with a very nice large balcony but that is classed as a Maisonette rather than a Studio and the others have small balconies and shade is controlled by how far you sit out. The rooms are clean and functional with the usual fridge, sink and kettle. AirCon is an extra at €7 per day and Anastasia will let you have the remote control. There is good shower pressure and hot water. There are wonderful views up to the Vigla and over the Pedi Valley and down to Pedi Bay. You sit overlooking all the various houses and really feel part of "the village".

Anastasia is a wonderful host and lives in a house just behind the apartments. Her husband Sotiris (aka Sam) heads to his farm every day and is a real character.

You must be travelling with Olympic as we believe all Anastasia's apartments are committed to them so the Symi Tours minibus that takes you up may ask where you wish to be dropped off. Alas the bus is too wide to go via the Village Hotel and afford you the route that Gemma1 suggests and that we often use. The steps up from the Secret Garden (well worth a visit for an ouzo or two) are fine for walking but D lugged the cases up in July and that was heavy going. The next request stopping point is at "the bins". This means lugging the cases up about 10 steps and then heading right on the flat for about 50 yards. You could ask to be let off at the kiosk as per Allan's suggestion where you have a longer walk that does go past the Sunshine Bar that Gemma1 mentions but no more than a few steps. The Olympic Rep is a local lady and we would hope that as first time visitors to Anastasia's she will walk you there.

You will soon get used to the paths back and fore as the Supermarket (the one we always use), the Olive Tree, Yannis Rainbow Bar, Lefteris Taverna, and Giorgio's Restaurant are all in the same direction and are an easy walk from Anastasia's.

The bus is a short walk if you don't fancy the Kali Strata and you can either get on / off at the Windmills - but this means quite a number of steps through the maze of houses behind Anastasia's and is more for the adventurous : or at the Kiosk. If taking a taxi up (€5) we always get dropped off at the Village Hotel - then an easy walk along to the apartment.

Anastasia's daughter is Zoe who has the other excellent restaurant in Chorio which you get to by carrying on past the Rainbow Bar and Lefetris and keep walking about another 150 yards and she is on the corner - well worth a visit as D regards her as cooking the best beef stifado and Symi lamb on the island. She also lives behind the apartments and Max, her faithful German Shepherd, will sometimes bark a hello to you.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy Village Life.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 25 Aug 2017, 07:55

rockbottom wrote:Thank you for that info Gemma, we usually stay in Irini studios but fancied a change. Are the Anastasia apartments reasonable?

I can't add much more to the great information provided by D&E. I have stayed in the one bedroomed apartment at Anastasia twice and absolutely love the big private balcony that D&E mentioned. The views over the village are wonderful. However the supplement for a single traveller staying in the apartment is now the cost of another week in Greece so I now stay in one of the studios which are smaller than those at the Irini and don't have the stunning harbour views. However the view over the Pedi valley is lovely and I've met some lovely people when I've stayed there as you do tend to mix more with it being a shared balcony. I loved the Irini but found getting my suitcase up and down those steps was quite a challenge and I daredn't have more than 2 glasses of wine on an evening knowing I had to climb those steps back to the studio afterwards. I love staying in Horio now and being in the centre of the village. The Anastasia is pretty basic but it suits me :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Colette » 26 Aug 2017, 12:23

I endorse everything everybody has said about Anastasia's. I first stayed there in 2003 and quite frankly I can't remember how many times I've stayed there since - it's like coming to my second home every time I arrive. There is always a warm welcome from all the family and it is in a very handy location for the village bars and tavernas. By the way there are 50 steps down to the Secret Garden and the road, where the bus will stop for you if you give Lacki a wave. Walking back up the steps can be a bit of a toil in the heat of the day so the windmills or the kiosk at Campos are my chosen bus stops in daylight - strangely enough the steps are a lot easier at night after an evening in the Secret Garden , can't imagine why but people who know me can probably hazard a guess:)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 27 Aug 2017, 13:20

If you are carrying a suitcase it is best to get off the bus at the windmills or you can take a taxi to the village hotel. The steps up from the Pedi road via The Secret Garden are ok if you don't have luggage but near to Anastasia there is a very low wall and a very long drop if you fall over. Take it from me as I am a practised "faller" :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby rockbottom » 30 Aug 2017, 16:34

Thank you for all your lovely and helpful replies! We are indeed travelling with Olympic on13 September. We have stayed on Symi many times and usually at the Irini Studios but last time we felt a change from all those steps was needed, hence we are up in the village and looking forward to it! Thankyou!
rockbottom
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby D and E » 30 Aug 2017, 18:26

Well, well rockbottom we may be on the same Symi Tour bus and if so can show you the way to Anastasia's.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 01 Sep 2017, 23:16

Can't wait! Arriving on Symi on 14th September for two weeks. Looking forward to seeing you!
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Adriana » 18 Sep 2017, 11:39

Book your accommodation with us at Symi Visitor Accommodation and your arrival and departure transfers between the harbour and the accommodation, including baggage transfers if required, are included in the price and you can watch someone else carry your cases up the steps :-)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard