Ferry Tickets

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Ferry Tickets

Postby Cecilia » 07 Aug 2017, 21:13

Hi,
Will be travelling to Symi on Thursday the 24 th August . Would it be wise to book ferry tickets in advance or would it be ok just to turn up at the ticket office on morning of departure .
Thanks in advance . Cecilia
Cecilia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Ferry Tickets

Postby Pollychops » 07 Aug 2017, 21:30

Hi,There is only one crossing on the 24th @ 9.30 however, it is the Skiadeni which can take up to 700 passengers in the summer. I would guess you will be able to walk up and buy tickets for the crossing. Someone with more experience of this may suggest you buy online beforehand. I don't think it costs anymore to buy online so could be prudent to do this. What time does your flight arrive in Rhodes as you will need approx 1.5 hours to get through the arrivals and from the airport the harbour.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 07 Aug 2017, 21:37

Depends which ferry you're travelling on, but generally in August (absolute high season) I'd book online directly with the ferry operator, and bring the booking confirmation to the ticket office on the morning of departure to exchange for the actual tickets. If you don't, there's a risk of the ferry filling up with daytrippers from Rhodes. Not a problem out of high season.
There are two ferry departures non stop to Symi on a Thursday morning, the "Symi" operated by Sea Dreams at 09:00; and the Panagia Skiadeni operated by Dodekanisos Seaways at 09:30.
They arrive in Symi almost at the same time, and the Panagia Skiadeni is preferable. Prices online direct from the shipping line will be identical to those charged on the day. Beware of online travel agents who may charge a booking fee, just give them a miss altogether.
Last edited by Andy W on 07 Aug 2017, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Cecilia » 07 Aug 2017, 21:38

Thank you .
We arrive in Rhodes on the Wednesday night at 10 pm so will have to stay over night .
I didn't realuse that there was only the one crossing . If I book on line do I collect the tickets at the booking office ?
Cecilia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Cecilia » 07 Aug 2017, 21:41

Thanks Andy , I have just noticed your reply . I will book online .
Cecilia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 07 Aug 2017, 21:45

Glad to help, I knew there would be someone with more info...thanks Andy W.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 07 Aug 2017, 21:47

Best way. You collect the tickets from the kiosk next to the ferry at Akandia quay in Rhodes Town port which is where both these ferries leave from, each shipping line has its own kiosk (well hut really) The Dodekanisos Seaways hut is easy to spot, being painted bright blue with orange detailing.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Cecilia » 08 Aug 2017, 19:11

Thanks Andy - I was about to book but have noticed that the return ferry the following Wednesday leaves at 16.00 arriving in Rhodes at 17 .30. My flight leaves at 22.50 . Are the ferries reliable or should I leave the day before and stay on Rhodes
. Would much prefer an extra night in Symi .
Cecilia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 09 Aug 2017, 01:11

The 16:00 departure on Wednesdays has spent 4 hours or so in Symi harbour, so any late arrival wouldn't result in a late departure.
In practice timekeeping is good, and this is a sizeable ferry which can handle any bad weather likely to happen in high summer. However, keep an eye on the weather forecasts, and if something unpleasant is approaching Symi, there's the option of catching the Wednesday morning Blue Star ferry to Rhodes which leaves at 08:15
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Cecilia » 09 Aug 2017, 20:22

Have now booked my tickets . Thank you for your help .
Cecilia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 10 Aug 2017, 17:58

Booked our tickets too, we arrive @11.35 then hopefully a fast cab to the harbour to catch the 13.00 crossing. Is it tight but we have done it several times in the past. If we miss it we catch the Blue Star @ 15.00. Fingers crossed and all that.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Noticeboard