First visit to Symi in Sep 2017 - where to get the ferry?

Ask questions about the island of Symi

First visit to Symi in Sep 2017 - where to get the ferry?

Postby JeffHaynes » 14 Mar 2017, 11:02

Hi All
Our first visit to Symi booked! Off September 8 - 16 2017. I have had to book an overnight stay in Rhodes to catch the early ferries (havent decided which one yet) to Symi as SqueazyJet timings mean we either have to a) get up at 3 in the morning (!) to catch the early flight and spend 7 hours mooching around Rhodes with our luggage waiting to get the evening ferry or b) depart day before at more sociable lunchtime and spend an evening in Rhodes, get a nice hotel and get the morning ferry to Symi.

We choose option b) of course!

Question .. where does one get the ferry? I see two harbours on the map. Would be good to know in advance (yes, I am that kind of guy!) so we don't panic in the morning trying to find the departure point.

I will no doubt pestering this brilliant forum for more ideas about what to do on Symi etc. in the future as we get near to our holiday!

Cheers
JeffHaynes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: First visit to Symi in Sep 2017 - where to get the ferry

Postby Kojak » 14 Mar 2017, 12:09

The ferries will depart from 2 harbours depending on which ferry you have booked. The Docecanese fast catamarans (Dodecanese Express or Pride) depart from Kolona harbour. The Blue Star and the Dodecanese Panaghia Skiadeni depart from Akandia harbour which is further away. Depending on where your hotel is, Kolona harbour is an easy walk from Mandraki. Akandia needs a taxi unless you are very fit and athletic! There is a very good Taverna at the entrance to Akandia so if you are early you can have a coffee or beer there.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby JeffHaynes » 14 Mar 2017, 12:59

Thanks for your swift reply Kojak! I havent booked the Ferries yet, but this info is useful to have for timings (and coffee!)

Looking forward to Symi and also the useful info on here!
JeffHaynes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 14 Mar 2017, 15:49

Hello Jeff and welcome.

I agree you have made the best choice in opting for a night on Rhodes rather than an awful early start and several hours of time-wasting in a place you didn't want to be!

Andy Ward, our resident travel expert has just posted the most recent ferry schedules which I think you will find useful. Unlike the official timetables published by the ferry companies, Andy's consolidated timetables show just the crossings between Rhodes and Symi (with some extending to Kos) and, most importantly, include all the available scheduled ferries and show their departure/arrival areas on Rhodes.

http://symiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2863

It seems from Andy's list that you now have a choice of three morning ferries, at 08.30, 09.00 and 09.30.

The first is the fast catamaran which will get you to Symi by 09.20 and that leaves from the Kolona harbour on Rhodes. The 09.00 ferry is the Sea Dreams 'Symi' which takes a much more leisurely two hours to make the crossing and at 09.30 you have the Panagia Skiadeni which includes a sightseeing stop at the Panormitis monastery so you won't be in Symi harbour until 13.00. Both of these boats leave from Akandia, the more distant port area that Kojak mentioned.

You have plenty of choice there! Personally, I would (in fact, do) always go for the 08.30 crossing but the choice is yours. Just remember to let your accommodation provider know which boat you will be on so they can arrange to meet you when you arrive on Symi.

I don't know which map you were referring to but this one from the Dodekanisos Seaways website shows the two harbour areas and you might find it helpful to consult it in combination with the location map for your chosen Rhodes hotel.

ferry_map.jpg

As Kojak mentioned, Kolona harbour is relatively central whereas Akandia is a little way out and unless your chosen hotel is very close by it's probably best to get a taxi. It will save your legs and you won't have the stress of having to find the port. If you tell the taxi driver which ferry you are travelling on he will take you right to the boarding ramp.

If you have more questions between now and September feel free to ask. We all love talking about Symi! :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JeffHaynes » 16 Mar 2017, 10:47

Awesome! What a great forum. I will checking later for tips and recommendations..
JeffHaynes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Noticeboard