Where are Olympic overnighting wednesday evening travellers?

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Where are Olympic overnighting wednesday evening travellers?

Postby Janeybabes » 25 Aug 2016, 20:28

Just wondered if anyone has been to Symi in the last couple of weeks, and where Olympic took wednesday evening flight passengers for overnight stay. I'm asking because the last time we went they left us on the front terrace of the International Hotel all night!! not the best night I've ever had I can tell you. We go in 2 weeks time and hope to stay in a bed this time :)
Janeybabes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Where are Olympic overnighting wednesday evening travell

Postby Irene » 25 Aug 2016, 22:23

I'm on the Wednesday evening flight in 3 weeks and I fear that we may be spending the first night sitting in the hotel foyer. I do hope that I am wrong - not a great way to spend the first night of our holiday!
Irene
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Andy W » 26 Aug 2016, 05:27

Traditionally they had what was called the 8-hour rule - if there were more than 8 hours between the scheduled arrival time of the flight and the scheduled departure time of the ferry, they provided a bed, if there were less than 8 hours they didn't. As far as I know this is still what happens. The ferry leaves at 09:30 on a Thursday.

Beds are provided in Olympic's contracted accommodation "somewhere on Rhodes". Now precisely where, will vary literally week by week according to how many people need to be found beds for the night and how well holidays on Rhodes are selling for each piece of accommodation they have. I've met people who were taken to Pefkos (about as far from Rhodes Town as it is possible to get in the package holiday world), and others who were in Rhodes Town itself, or nearby Ixia, or Faliraki.
Given the usual unpunctuality of charter flights there's also the possibility of people scheduled to arrive in time for the 19:00 ferry on Wednesdays turning up so late that they need to be accommodated overnight on Rhodes as well.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Jan » 26 Aug 2016, 14:23

We are independent travellers so can't speak for Olympic.

However, this year we've chosen flights from the UK which mean an overnight in Rhodes in both directions. I've paid just over £25 for a double room with breakfast in a small hotel 10minutes downhill walk to Kolonna port. It's in a quiet area just outside the Old Town walls - we've been there before on numerous occasions. Were I anticipating a night in Olympic's finest choice of hotel foyers I think I'd take my fate in my own hands and book a room anyway - in the greater scheme of things £25 isn't a lot to lose if Olympic do provide a bed.

Good luck!
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Val » 26 Aug 2016, 15:04

Wow. Please tell us where this is. We usually stay overnight in Rhodes both ways when travelling to the islands but that is an amazing price especially for B&B. Hard to find anything for less than 60 euros online if it's a last minute booking. Looking at it from the other perspective It's difficult to see how a profit could be made from that sort of price.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Jan » 26 Aug 2016, 16:37

The hotel I was referring to is the Sylvia on Kolokotroni. Last year I think we overnighted in the Lefka Hotel/Apartments in the same neighbourhood and for much the same price. I usually try to book a couple of months ahead to be sure of getting what we want.

You just have to trawl your way round the various booking sites - or indeed book directly with the hotel if you know where you want to go. I quite agree that the owner isn't making much profit, but presumably a few Euros is better than none.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby JeanW » 26 Aug 2016, 18:20

Lindos Gardens Hotel, Lindos for those of us who travelled May and June - very nice hotel just a bit too far away from Rhodes Harbour. If you opt to book your own accommodation you may be responsible for your own transfer. Cost of cab from airport to Rhodes Town is around 25 euros.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Irene » 26 Aug 2016, 18:27

What time did your flight get in? We are not due to land until 00.40 so wasn't sure if we would get a room. Anywhere would be better than the foyer!
Irene
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby JeanW » 26 Aug 2016, 19:13

Irene, Our flight was from Gatwick and landed around 10pm, by the time we had been through customs and collected our luggage then transferred to hotel, it was around 1.00am.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Irene » 26 Aug 2016, 19:20

Thanks Jean. That was certainly a lot earlier than the Manchester flight gets in. Has anyone been on this flight recently? We're travelling down from Scotland on the Wednesday so it's going to be a long journey!
Irene
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby plee » 28 Aug 2016, 22:29

Hi, I will be traveling from Newcastle on Wed 14th - I think we get in after 12pm and because Ive had the horrible experience of being left at the International hotel for hours, I have booked a room. Even if its just for a few hours it is worth it to have somewhere to rest.
plee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 29 Aug 2016, 08:40

I'm on the Small Planet late flight from Manchester in 3 weeks time. When the flight was changed from Germania and due to land in Rhodes an hour later than when I booked I contacted Olympic to ask if overnight accommodation would still be provided. I was just sent a standard reply quoting the 8 hour rule. By my reckoning it's definitely over 8 hours and I replied to say I would assume accommodation would be provided as it has been in the past.

On previous trips with Olympic I've been provided with accommodation in both Pefkos and Falaraki. I think it's just luck of the draw as to where Olympic have rooms available. Are you travelling on the 21st Irene? If so I'll look out for you at Rhodes Airport and hope we don't end up in the International foyer ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Irene » 29 Aug 2016, 09:45

Hi Gemma,
I'm travelling on the 14th - can't wait! We will just have to hope they stick to the 8 hour rule but I am feeling a bit cynical about it. Irene
Irene
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 30 Aug 2016, 06:52

If you get chance to post once you are on Symi it would be useful to know where you ended up Irene - just so I can be prepared if it is the International foyer ;) Have a great holiday :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Irene » 02 Sep 2016, 09:29

I will try to let you know , Gemma. Not sure where I will get wifi !
Irene
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby MrsMcS » 02 Sep 2016, 11:15

Just read your reply JeanW. We arrive on the Glasgow flight around 10pm on 14/9, so looks like it is going to be a long haul if not arriving at hotel until 1am. Three hours, that's ridiculous. We had a long journey two years ago but think it was only about 2 hours. Not looking forward to that but hey ho all part of getting to Symi :!: Heres's hoping it is a better hotel than last time as it was shocking :shock:
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 04 Sep 2016, 09:01

Irene wrote:I will try to let you know , Gemma. Not sure where I will get wifi !

A lot of the bars have wifi now Irene but please don't log on specially. I know not everybody wants to go on the internet when they're on holiday.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 20 Sep 2016, 07:32

I just wondered if there was an update from anybody who travelled out last Wednesday? When I checked the Manchester Airport website before leaving work it looked as though the flight was delayed until 8pm. I'm not confident that Olympic will put me up anywhere if that happens tomorrow but having spent the night in Manchester Airport 2 years ago (the train from Leeds arrived around 1am and I was on the early morning Germania flight) it can't be any worse - at least I'll be in Greece ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Irene » 20 Sep 2016, 18:25

Hi Gemma. We were delayed last Wednesday. Flight went out at 8.15 - not as bad as the early morning flight which was delayed bu 10 hours! We got to a hotel near Lindos at 4am and were given a room for a couple of hours . We were surprised that they did this but it was good to get our heads down . The hotel was called Golden Days - not very special. Symi has been wonderful. Weather great up until today when we had some rain and wind. Have a great holiday.
Irene
Irene
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 21 Sep 2016, 09:18

Irene wrote:Hi Gemma. We were delayed last Wednesday. Flight went out at 8.15 - not as bad as the early morning flight which was delayed bu 10 hours! We got to a hotel near Lindos at 4am and were given a room for a couple of hours . We were surprised that they did this but it was good to get our heads down . The hotel was called Golden Days - not very special. Symi has been wonderful. Weather great up until today when we had some rain and wind. Have a great holiday.
Irene

Thanks very much for the reply Irene. That's good to know that even with a delay you were given a room for the 'night'. They obviously work on the time that the flight is due to arrive not when it actually lands. Fingers crossed this evening's flight will leave on time and I'll get a few hours sleep before leaving for the ferry ;) One of my friends posted about the rain on Facebook. The forecast was looking better for today but I see more thundery showers are forecast for Rhodes for today and tomorrow morning now. Not sure I fancy a ferry crossing in stormy weather, though if it's that bad the ferry wouldn't run. Fingers crossed for a smooth crossing ;)

Glad you are enjoying Symi :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Noticeboard