Where are Olympic overnighting wednesday evening travellers?

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Re: Where are Olympic overnighting wednesday evening travell

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Sep 2016, 08:25

Just thought I'd update that this week Symi passengers were put up at the Tina Studios in Falarki. The Small Planet flight left on time and we were dropped off shortly before 2am. The room was adequate for an overnight stay - quite a big studio - though the man behind the bar initially thought I was sharing with a male solo traveller who I had never met before :shock: He did seem surprised when only 4 of our turned up, he must have been expecting 3 couples.

Quite a noisy hotel, due to a girl standing by the stairs talking very loudly to somebody upstairs. I did think about going outside and saying it's 2am and people want to get to sleep but that's probably the norm for Falaraki. The bar was still open when we left at 7. I managed to get a few hours sleep before the ferry so that's the main thing :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Colette » 26 Oct 2016, 22:18

We were lucky on our overnighter on the way back from Symi in September - we stayed at Paul's Gardens in Haraki, a very lovely resort and the accommodation was brill, though it was thanks to other holiday makers that we found out where to go to eat on the night we arrived in the dark ( no rep in sight)Thanks to them we had a good night out and in the morning we discovered the beautiful bay area and had a hearty breakfast overlooking the sea. I would recommend this resort to anyone considering a holiday in Rhodes.
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 27 Oct 2016, 07:36

Colette wrote:We were lucky on our overnighter on the way back from Symi in September - we stayed at Paul's Gardens in Haraki, a very lovely resort and the accommodation was brill, though it was thanks to other holiday makers that we found out where to go to eat on the night we arrived in the dark ( no rep in sight)Thanks to them we had a good night out and in the morning we discovered the beautiful bay area and had a hearty breakfast overlooking the sea. I would recommend this resort to anyone considering a holiday in Rhodes.

Was that flying back on the flight Saturday Colette? I did wonder about travelling on the Saturday flight next time I go to Symi as it uses less annual leave from work and no early morning departure from Symi ;) I'm not sure I could cope with spending the last night of my holiday in Falaraki (I can cope with it on the way out as have Symi to look forward to) but Haraki sounds much nicer :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Colette » 27 Oct 2016, 19:06

Hi Gail, we were flying home on Saturday afternoon but as there was no ferry on sat morning from Symi so we had to leave on Friday afternoon.It all worked perfectly, a couple of drinks with Elpida then on the ferry to Rhodes and a bit of a long journey down to Haraki, but it was worth it.Also the good thing was we were picked up at 11.20 am to take us to the airport so no crack of dawn pick up - a result I would say but of course we can't be sure it will happen again. But if anyone ever to pass a bit of time in Rhodes I would recommend Haraki. I met up with Justine and Lyndon for a meal and a few drinks at home in England recently and they also love Haraki and Pau'ls Gardens. Sorry I won't see you next year but there's always 2018 x
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 28 Oct 2016, 07:38

Sounds like a much more civilized ending to the holiday, especially when there are a few of you travelling together.

Yes I will really miss Symi and all my Symi friends next September but hopefully will be back in 2018 for 2 weeks as 6 nights on Symi really isn't long enough :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 05 Nov 2016, 14:08

The last time I had to overnight in Rhodes was when ANES went bankrupt. Due to everyone switching to the Dodekanisos catamaran Olympic couldn't get us on a ferry until the following evening. Fortunately they put us up in the Cassandra, Ixia. A very nice hotel! A tip for travellers who are facing the International foyer is to try the Konstantin, just up the road near where the coach stops. It's a much bigger hotel so may have more vacant rooms. We have used that when we've had an early departure from Symi and a later flight. Sharing a room for showers and (in my case) a little afternoon nap!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 06 Nov 2016, 10:13

I think the Kassandra in Ixia is another hotel that Olympic use regularly Kojak as they took guests there who travelled on the Wednesday afternoon ferry on the day I went home. They also used it when I went to Halki as I spent several hours there then. I've no complaints about the hotel, and it's quite nice to sit out by the pool, but am not keen on Ixia. I was hoping for a wander round Rhodes old town and wandering round Ixia is not really the same! However I had a very pleasant dinner in the Kassandra tavern so can't really complain ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Previous

Return to Noticeboard