Independent travel tips

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Independent travel tips

Postby Allan » 29 Apr 2016, 11:41

A comment on here a few months ago from someone considering independent travel to Symi for the first time reminded me that whilst there is a wealth of information about this subject in past posts I don't think we have had a thread dedicated to the topic for some time.

So I thought I'd start a thread where people can add their own tips for how to make the journey go smoothly.

To kick things off, a couple of tips from me:
The first and most important is to keep up with the posts on the Symi Visitor travel news blog http://symivisitor-accommodation.com/blog/ What Andy doesn't know about travel to and from Symi isn't worth knowing and he keeps his blog updated regularly.

Secondly, if you intend to travel to Symi on a ferry operated by Dodekanisos Seaways you should apply for a 'Bonus Ways' loyalty card. It is free, can be applied for online and will give you a 10% discount on all fares plus a scheme to earn 'sea miles' towards a free ticket. http://www.12ne.gr/en/bonusways/register.asp?pageID=86
The online form states that the card will be posted to you 'Within Greece'. I don't know whether that is a new restriction but when I applied a few years ago they posted the card to me here in the UK so it's definitely worth filling in the form online to see what happens.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Independent travel tips

Postby STEVE » 10 May 2016, 14:07

Allan wrote: Secondly, if you intend to travel to Symi on a ferry operated by Dodekanisos Seaways you should apply for a 'Bonus Ways' loyalty card. It is free, can be applied for online and will give you a 10% discount on all fares plus a scheme to earn 'sea miles' towards a free ticket. http://www.12ne.gr/en/bonusways/register.asp?pageID=86
The online form states that the card will be posted to you 'Within Greece'. I don't know whether that is a new restriction but when I applied a few years ago they posted the card to me here in the UK so it's definitely worth filling in the form online to see what happens.

I tried to get a Bonus Ways card towards the end of last year by applying on line but got a reply saying that the card can only be posted to addresses within Greece so it would appear that things have changed since you got yours Allan. A shame as we'll soon be booking another five journeys with DS for our June visit to various islands.

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Kon » 12 May 2016, 04:41

Steve they should have given you a copy of a card with a link to a code that you actually print on your card .
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Eliza » 12 May 2016, 10:18

In the case of any doubt Panagia Skiadeni can be booked on line. I booked at Easter confirmation was sent by email and we picked tickets up at the Mandraki ticket booth.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 12 May 2016, 11:02

It's marginally preferable to pick up Dodekanisos Seaways tickets from Rhodes at the Kolonna ticket office if you can, perhaps as a short diversion from a walk round the Old Town. Any Dodekanisos Seaways sales office (including the one at Akandia right next to where the Panagia Skiadeni berths) or agent can do the job for you, but Kolonna is also the central reservations department and in the very unlikely event that there is any kind of problem the staff there have authority to do things directly the other offices have to request permission for.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Eliza » 12 May 2016, 13:43

Thanks Andy. My friend had read else where the Panagia could not be booked online.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 12 May 2016, 16:23

Panagia Skiadeni sailings have always been bookable on line. However there is an issue with booking online if you want a sailing to Symi that is scheduled to go via Panormitis on the way. There aren't many of these that don't have an alternative sailing on a fast cat from Kolonna on the summer timetable, since the Tuesday and Thursday boats (when there is no morning catamaran) go non-stop to Yialos all summer, and there's no problem at all with booking these.
If you absolutely must catch a "via Panormitis" boat and want to go to Yialos, the trick is to book an online ticket to Panormitis. This is the same price as Yialos. When you pick the ticket up, tell them you want to go to Yialos, and they'll give you an extra (free) ticket from Panormitis to Yialos. This complicated procedure is because Dodekanisos Seaways use the industry-standard online reservation system. But on "via Panormitis" sailings you have the option of leaving the ship and visiting the monastery at Panormitis. Nowhere else in Greece can you get off a scheduled ferry at an en route stop and get back on again later, so the system doesn't handle it. By law on a ferry (not a day excursion boat) a ticket has to be collected each time a passenger boards, one portion is left with the port agent and one taken on board, so there is an accurate record of who is on board.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Eliza » 12 May 2016, 20:08

Andy you really are a great help Thank you.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Glen » 24 May 2016, 01:04

it is true that they now won't send a bonusways card to addresses outside Greece

in fact that's alway been the case "officially" but i got one sent to the UK a few years ago and i know others have got them
however when mine went missing and i phoned for a replacement i was told the wouldn't send out of Greece, but you can always apply for one and them pick it up from the Kiosk before your start your journey

G.
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 04 Jun 2016, 15:49

I applied for a Bonusways card last year and, as you have discovered, was told that it was not possible to send the cards to addresses, outside Greece. The office did, however, supply the numbers of our cards so that we were able to take advantage of reduced fares and we then collected our cards from the Symi Tours office. We had flown via Kos and visited Lipsi before going on to Symi. We weren't ever asked to produce our cards though I did take a copy of the email correspondence just as a precaution.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Noticeboard