May to August 2016 ferries

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Re: May to August 2016 ferries

Postby Oor Willie » 08 May 2016, 18:19

We arrive on the 7th of June so we will be able to use this sailing, we came via Kos last year on a Thursday evening flight and caught the Friday morning Blue Star and we were shattered when we got to Symi
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby keith p » 07 Jun 2016, 15:17

Our flight on the 15th has been re-scheduled so we now land around 13.30, looking at the chart above I noticed a ferry at 15.00. With a tailwind, quick airport turnaround and a dash in a taxi we might make it, but how are we fixed with ferry tickets, (I should have said we are with Olympic). Is everyone booked on the later ferry, meaning we would have to buy our own tickets for the early ferry?

I remember a few years ago we caught an earlier boat without any hassle but I'm wondering without a rep it may not be so easy.
keith p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 07 Jun 2016, 15:56

I'd say that you'd certainly need to buy your own tickets as there's no way Olympic Holidays are going to plan a 90 minute plane landing to ferry leaving connection. They won't have anyone standing around at Akandia on the offchance to buy them for you. Unless there are people who are scheduled to arrive on much earlier flights who have been booked on the 15:00 ferry, there also won't be anyone to meet you and transfer your baggage on Symi.
Will you make the ferry? Lets put it this way, travelling independently I'd not book these ferry tickets in advance! in practice of course you don't need to, it is never full at this point in its journey. Apart from plane punctuality, baggage reclaim is the main issue. If your bag is first on the belt, you'll do it, if it is last, you probably won't. There are significant road works in and around Rhodes Town, although they don't directly affect the route the taxi takes they can cause general traffic jams and mayhem.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Previous

Return to Noticeboard