Ferry Question

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Ferry Question

Postby SueO » 14 Aug 2015, 09:43

Hi

Don't often need to ask a question on the forum but I have one now for the Ferry Expert (aka Andy W) or anyone else who knows......

We usually book our ferries in both directions on-line a few days before departure from the UK and, in recent years, it's always been on either the Pride or the Express. This is partly to ensure we get a seat but mainly so we can use our 10% discount card.

This year however we'll be on the Panagia Skiadeni in both directions. Having decided that we can no longer cope with early morning departures we'll be leaving on Tuesday afternoon and spending our last night at the Plaza.

So Andy, I know you always say "no need to book the PS - it's a big ship and always plenty of room" but do you know if we can still use our discount cards if we just turn up at Akandia to buy our tickets? Same question applies if we buy our return tickets whilst on the island. Is there any reason why we shouldn't buy in advance?

Thanks for your help.

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: Ferry Question

Postby Andy W » 14 Aug 2015, 18:01

You certainly can book in advance if you want to, there's no particular reason not to. I just do as the locals do, which is probably coloured by their experiences in the winter when ferries are cancelled due to bad weather, and quite possibly by reluctance to make interest-free loans to ferry companies unless they've no choice.
The BonusWays loyalty cards can be used whether you book in advance or on the day, it makes no difference, the kiosks at Akandia and at the Clock Tower on Symi take them without problems.
I usually buy my ticket for travel away from Symi one or two days before I'm due to leave, from Symi Tours' main office (using the BonusWays card). This is a useful check that there hasn't been a timetable change at the last minute, though usually everyone on the island already knows anyway.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SueO » 12 Sep 2015, 12:23

Hi Andy

Another daft question.......there IS a ticket kiosk at Akandia isn't there? I never doubted it until just now when I booked our tickets for Symi - when choosing to "collect from agency" I idly clicked on "locate agency" and it only shows Kolona. It's years since we had to sail from Akandia and I really can't remember much about it except that it's huge and not very passenger friendly!

I must be getting soft in my old age - never used to worry about this sort of thing :? :? :?
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 12 Sep 2015, 16:07

Yes, Dodekanisos Seaways have a ticket hut at Akandia. You can't miss it, it's painted guess what, blue and orange.
You do need to make sure you go to the right bit of Akandia - as you say, it is huge. I assume you're getting a taxi from the Plaza, if you tell the driver which ferry you want he'll take you to Dodekanisos Seaways loading area, which is where the ticket hut is. It opens about 90 minutes before departure time.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SueO » 13 Sep 2015, 07:19

Thanks for the reassurance Andy. We may go straight from the airport as flight isn't due in until around 15.30. We would usually taxi to the New Market, have an ouzo at the Symi bar then make our way on foot to Kolona. There seems little point in jumping out of one taxi only to get in another quite quickly so will probably have that ouzo at the outdoor area at the airport then go direct. All depends on how long it takes to collect our bags.

We shall be staying at the Plaza on the way home and I've already taken note of your advice (given elsewhere) to get off the ferry promptly in order to get a taxi.

Thanks again!

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 13 Sep 2015, 16:57

There's a very good taverna across the road from the entrance to Akandia harbour. If you ask the taxi to drop you off there you can have something to eat and drink there and it's just a short walk to the ticket office
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby SueO » 15 Sep 2015, 07:08

Thanks Kojak - that's another option to consider.

It's absolutely heaving it down here this morning (and cold) - can't wait to get going tomorrow!

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Noticeboard