Ferry booking

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Ferry booking

Postby johnjen » 16 Jun 2015, 13:42

Hello all.This is my first post.I have been reading the posts for some time as after a day trip in 2014 we decided we would like to stay for longer on Symi.We are spending the first week of our holiday 9/9 to 16/9 on Rhodes and then travelling on to Symi for the second week.My question is regarding the ferries.The ideal ferry on the outward leg would seem to be the 15.00 Blue Star Diagoras but for the return on the 23rd we have a choice of Blue star 8.15 (would mean all day on rhodes with suitcases).Dodekanisos
Express 17.45 or skiadeni 16.15 either would be ideal for our flight times from Rhodes 21.10 but I believe that these times are often changed or schedules are affected by the weather .How likely is this? and would we need to book at all or could we play it by ear and book a day before when schedules would be known and weather etc may or not be a factor.
johnjen
Starting Visitor

Re: Ferry booking

Postby Andy W » 16 Jun 2015, 18:27

I wouldn't say that the times are often altered. Certainly they were for September last year but that was because the Panagia Skiadeni suffered a major electrical failure and had to be taken out of service 8 weeks earlier than planned. During the winter the damaged engine control gear was completely replaced and she seems to be performing well now.
I'd expect a few changes in October by way of adding extra sailings as there are several days when only one of the three ferries are scheduled, that wouldn't affect existing advertised sailings. Weather in September is rarely bad enough to cause disruption to ferries. That really starts later in the year.

I never book my ferry back to Rhodes until 2/3 days before departure. By then the weather forecast is pretty accurate. The main reason for booking in advance at all is to make sure the seats aren't all taken by daytrippers returning to Rhodes, and they don't book very far in advance.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby johnjen » 16 Jun 2015, 20:28

thanks Andy,you have confirmed what I thought.I assume you can book up on the quayside in Symi.
johnjen
Starting Visitor

Postby Andy W » 16 Jun 2015, 21:52

If you want to book in advance you need to visit the office of Symi Tours which is the ticket agent for both companies on Symi, which is at the southern landward end of the harbour, up a side street but you can see their sign easily from the harbourside.
There's a kiosk just below the Police Station wall near the Clock Tower where the ferries berth which sells tickets from about 30 minutes before departure for last minute passengers,
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Noticeboard