Cooking

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Cooking

Postby Eve » 16 Apr 2015, 14:43

Hello.
We are visiting Symi for the first time this September. We are interested in learning more about Greek cuisine and maybe learn som good receipes.
Does anyone know it that is possible in Symi?

Any other tips regarding food is highly appreciated. Good restaurants..?
We will be staying at Nireus hotel.
Eve
Starting Visitor

Re: Cooking

Postby Allan » 27 Apr 2015, 09:18

Hello Eve and welcome to the forum.

I can offer some suggestions for restaurants for you.

Everyone has their own opinions and favourite places to eat but if you are looking for traditional Greek food I would suggest you try Meraklis which is on one of the small back streets in Yialos. The food is very good so it does get quite busy most evenings, get there early to be sure of a table!
Also in Yialos, just at the bottom of the Kalistrata is the Trawler (or Trata) taverna. Again, very good home cooked Greek food and very popular.

Up in Chorio you must try Georgio's Taverna. A very traditional place that's been gong for many years. They have a menu of course but only because they have to display one by law. Ignore the menu and let them show you round the kitchen to see what is on offer that day and make your choice. Since you are interested in learning about Greek cooking the visit to Georgio's kitchen will be of particular interest to you. The other two traditional tavernas in Chorio, Syllogos and Zoe's, both also serve very well cooked Greek fare and I'd recommend you try both of them too.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SueO » 27 Apr 2015, 17:11

Hi Eve

Good to see a new "face" on the forum which seems very quiet lately (where is everyone?)

Have a quick look at the Trip Advisor forum http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- ... Dodecanese. which has some other suggestions. There is also a mention of cookery courses - don't know if they're still available but you could try asking on that site.

There is actually a restaurant attached to the Nireus which has quite a good reputation although we've never tried it.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in Symi.

Sue
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Sue L » 05 May 2015, 14:18

Hi Eve
We stay at the Nireus Hotel it's a family run Greek hotel the food is excellent, nothing fancy but good value, the portions are large and last time we stayed hotel guests got free wine plus of course you're right by the water.
Other recomendations Tholos, Mythos, Pantelis the Windmill and Neraida(at night).
We find you have to work hard to have a bad meal on Symi.
Talk to your fellow guests at the Nireus some of them go every year they're a friendly lot as are most people who visit Symi
We'll be there at the begining of September maybe we'll see you
As to Cooking courses they used to run them at Mythos not sure if they still do.
Have a lovely holiday on my favorite Greek island
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 10 May 2015, 14:40

Hello Eve, I did this list of bars and tavernas for some friends a few years ago. It's now on Trip advisor so you may find it helpful. :- http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189450-s5/Symi:Greece:Dining.Scene.html
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 11 May 2015, 13:37

Hi Eve,
if you are also looking for recipes I would recommend 'Food From Many Greek Kitchens' by Tessa Kiros. Full of traditional Greek recipes and wonderfull illustrations,it's a must have.
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 11 May 2015, 18:57

Looks a good book, thanks for the recommendation Joe. A trip to the Amazon website is called for I think!
We got her 'Falling Cloudberries' book a while ago after reading it in The Olive Tree and love it.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby D and E » 12 May 2015, 06:55

Hi Eve,
The food on Symi is excellent in every way and during our last few visits I have done a daily post which includes where and what we eat. We are about to head for Symi tomorrow so have just kicked off a topic "If it's May ..." and will post each day an up to date review of our regular (there are many), and possibly new, places to eat.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby KN9700 » 14 May 2015, 21:11

Dear D and E

My wife and I will look forward to your mails from Symi about restaurants and other news from our common favourite Island.
We are regular visitors, but are not going to Symi until at the end of August this summer.
We enjoy to read Adriana´s and James`blogs about Symi, but we will be looking forward to hear your news too.

Have a nice Holiday.

Best regards,
Karl-Johan
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Return to Noticeboard