symi 2015 (moved)

Ask questions about the island of Symi

symi 2015 (moved)

Postby DiamondChris » 19 Dec 2014, 14:28

I am looking to visit Symi for the first time next September. Possibly flying Ryanair or Easyjet to Rhodes from EMA or Gatwick, and finding independent accommodation. My concern is that with most flights arriving late in the day, I would need to stay our first night in Rhodes Town or near the Port. With ferry timetables not being available until , I believe, the Spring, will I be able to book a ferry on any day of the week? Are there any days they dont run?

My other query is that booking somewhere to stay independently, will a hotel accept me arriving on the day that suits my flight/ferry, or will I only be able to book for instance, Friday to Friday or Sunday to Sunday for example. I could end up losing one night on Symi by having to stay overnight in Rhodes I guess. Thanks for any advice and help.
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: symi 2015

Postby Allan » 19 Dec 2014, 15:40

Hi Chris and welcome.

Andy Ward, our resident travel expert will no doubt be along to advise you about ferry times etc. but if you are going in September you shouldn't have trouble getting a ferry any day of the week. Some days have more crossings than others although, as you say, the timetables for the summer season won't be available until spring next year. This year the 'best' days were Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday with four crossings on each day. Monday and Thursday had only two each (both in the morning). Next year it is likely to be similar but nothing is guaranteed.

The summer 2014 timetables are on Andy's travel blog if you want to use them as a guide. But please don't assume 2015 will be exactly the same. This is Greece after all :D
http://symivisitor-accommodation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Symiferries14sumv3.pdf

I can't speak for every accommodation company on the island but I do know that Symi Visitor charge by the night. So, for instance if you have a two week holiday and need to stay overnight on Rhodes on the way out you will be charged for 13 nights stay, not 14. I suspect other companies will do the same thing.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andy W » 19 Dec 2014, 17:53

I don't think I can add anything to what Allan has already told you about the ferries, except to say that one constant feature over the past 20 years has been at least one ferry at 08:30 and/or 09:00 every day from the beginning of May to the end of October. This is because these morning ferries serve the multiple purposes of bringing day trippers from Rhodes to Symi, transporting people like yourself whose flights arrive at Rhodes airport after any evening ferries have already left, bringing fresh supplies and parcels for Symi businesses, and carrying people based in Rhodes who have business or family on Symi. This isn't likely to change in 2015. There is then an equivalent return sailing taking people back to Rhodes in the late afternoon.
What does change year on year is the afternoon/evening timetable from Rhodes to Symi and the morning timetable from Symi to Rhodes.
Even now, in the middle of winter, there are ferries 5 days a week on the Rhodes to Symi route.
On past performance a draft timetable will appear some time in February, be heavily amended, and the May to August timetable will be released for booking in late March or early April. September follows about a month later.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby DiamondChris » 20 Dec 2014, 11:02

Thank you both for the helpful information. The flight I looked at was arriving Sunday night which is why I was thinking Monday might not be such a good day for the ferry or for the first day in a hotel. I am a bit nervous about booking a flight and then finding no ferry but, as you say Andy, there are ferries every day even if early morning on a Monday. I guess this is the Dodekanisos you are referring too?

My idea is to spend a week on Symi, followed by a week in Lindos. So again I will have to coordinate ferries and my hotel in Lindos, when I find one.

Allan: by Symi Visitor, do you mean anyone advertising on this site will charge per night?

Also can anyone recommend a hotel very close to Rhodes Ferry Port to stay overnight when we arrive? Thanks for all your help.
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 20 Dec 2014, 12:40

A Symi/Lindos holiday sounds a nice idea and you should be able to organise that easily.

Allan: by Symi Visitor, do you mean anyone advertising on this site will charge per night?

No, I mean accommodation provided by Symi Visitor Accommodation http://www.symivisitor.com/Accommodation.htm and I mentioned them because I know about their booking policy. I'm sure other accommodation providers will have the same per-night bookings. There are no big hotel chains on Symi, the hotels, apartments and houses tend to be small family-run businesses and will be very flexible about your booking. Obviously they are used to people arriving at odd times and staying for only a few days so things like check-in and check-out times are not set in stone. Symi is a friendly laid-back kind of place and no one is trying to rip you off.

Also can anyone recommend a hotel very close to Rhodes Ferry Port to stay overnight when we arrive?

Everyone has their own favourite so I'm sure you will get several recommendations here. I usually stay at The Plaza which isn't the closest hotel to the port but it's one I like. The owners are from Symi and it's used a lot by Symi residents if they need to spend time on Rhodes. The all-you-can-eat breakfast is good too ;)
It's a 15 minute walk from the hotel to Kolona where the high-speed catamarans (Dodekanisos Pride and Express) dock. Not too hard if you travel light. Alternatively it's a few minutes in a taxi if you're too full to walk after the huge breakfast.

Panagia Skiadeni, the bigger ferry leaves from Akandia which is a lot further from the centre of town so you'll probably need a taxi regardless of where you stay if you decide to take that boat.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DiamondChris » 20 Dec 2014, 14:09

Thank you again Allan for this useful information. If we opt for a Sunday night arrival in Rhodes I think I would need somewhere closer to the Port to stay. If the times of the ferries are the same as this year, it leaves at 8.30.am. And I guess an hour before to check-in is required. Not sure that would leave time for the amazing breakfast you mention! I will continue to research and hopefully others may offer some recommendations in the new year. Thank you.
DiamondChris
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Jan » 20 Dec 2014, 15:31

The Silvia/Sylvia hotel on the outskirts of the Old Town in Rhodes is clean, quiet and an easy walk downhill to the part of the port from where the Dodecanese Express/Pride fast ferries depart for Symi. It can also be very cheap if booked through one of he many internet accommodation agencies - a month or so before arrival should be fine. Certainly worth considering.

Speaking of internet agencies, our regukar landlady told us last year that a nunber of Symi accommodation providers now offer their properties through booking.com You might want to scan through the list if only to see the type and range of accommodation available on the island.

Jan

Jan
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: symi 2015 (moved)

Postby Allan » 20 Dec 2014, 18:39

I hope you don't mind DiamondChris but I took the liberty of moving your thread over here to the "Noticeboard" forum.

The "Who will be on Symi and when" area is hidden from non-logged in guests and I know a lot of people read through Symi Chat without bothering to log in unless they want to post something. By having your thread in the "Noticeboard" area it's more likely to get noticed and will attract more replies.

If the times of the ferries are the same as this year, it leaves at 8.30.am. And I guess an hour before to check-in is required. Not sure that would leave time for the amazing breakfast you mention!

After years of on-the-sopt research I can confirm that it is possible to have the wonderful Plaza breakfast and still catch the 8.30 boat although it does involve the use of a taxi and a scarily early alarm call ;)
You don't need to be at the boat too early, half an hour should be plenty. The important thing is to book your tickets online before you set off so you are sure of a place.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: symi 2015 (moved)

Postby Andy W » 01 Feb 2015, 17:01

After years of on-the-sopt research I can confirm that it is possible to have the wonderful Plaza breakfast and still catch the 8.30 boat although it does involve the use of a taxi and a scarily early alarm call ;)
You don't need to be at the boat too early, half an hour should be plenty. The important thing is to book your tickets online before you set off so you are sure of a place.

I've managed both the breakfast and the 08:30 ferry many times without resorting to a taxi, the Plaza start serving at 7am.
If you do walk, don't take the route through the Old Town streets as the cobbles damage wheeled luggage.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Noticeboard