Symi in the year of Covid

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Symi in the year of Covid

Postby Allan » 21 Sep 2020, 15:44

After an enjoyable couple of weeks on Symi I thought I should post something about the experience. Not a trip report, I'll leave that to the experts, just a few comments about the current situation.

The first thing to say is that Symi IS open for business and badly needs visitors so if anyone is considering a sneaky last minute trip then I'd strongly recommend it.

I had to complete an online Passenger Locator Form for the Greek government before leaving the UK and I received an email with the all-important QR code at midnight (Greek time) the day before we set off, exactly as promised. The code was checked in the airport in Rhodes and we were waved through. Some people were randomly selected to have a Covid test there and then (I wasn't). Despite being "different" it was all very smooth and worked well.

Covid risk is treated very seriously everywhere and I felt very safe throughout the full two weeks. Masks were worn on the ferry and in shops even on the Symi bus and everyone seemed happy to comply. Taverna waiters mostly wore clever half visors covering their nose and mouth. Tables were placed further apart for social distancing and there were bottles of hand sanitiser everywhere.

The island is very quiet although it got noticeably busier as time went on. There are nowhere near enough tourists about for the businesses to make a good profit and I fear for the survival of many. Time will tell of course but I suspect Symi 2021 will look very different to previous years.

harbour.jpg

All in all it was a strange experience but I'm glad I went.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Symi in the year of Covid

Postby phillippalee » 22 Sep 2020, 17:59

Thanks Allen for posting this - I am due to come on Monday for 3 weeks. I am by myself and have been feeling a little bit apprehensive about the journey and being chosen for the test in Rhodes. I will cross my fingers I will be waved through as well!!
phillippalee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 23 Sep 2020, 14:03

Hello Phillippa
I can appreciate you feeling apprehensive because everything is strange this year but all the members of staff you meet will understand that (it's strange for them too!) and will go out of their way to help you. Wearing a mask at the airport and for four hours in the aircraft wasn't as bad as I'd feared and it became almost normal.

The Covid test, should it happen, is just the simple mouth swab we have in the UK and it's over with in seconds. Then you can go on your way, there is no requirement to quarantine on arrival, they will contact you in a couple of days at the address you gave on the PLF if the result is positive.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Symi in the year of .

Postby JuliaB » 23 Sep 2020, 21:03

Thanks for the update, Allan. We arrived in Rhodes this evening. No problems - not selected for Covid testing. Spending tonight at the Plaza before going on to Symi tomorrow. Surprised how quiet it is. We had dinner at Niohori, a lovely traditional family restaurant we discovered two years ago and were told business is down 75%. Will do our best to support the Greek economy over the next two weeks!
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 26 Sep 2020, 11:52

Great to read about regular visitors making the trip to Symi, finding it not to be too much of an issue, and enjoying their time in those idyllic surroundings - thanks Allan.
Hope you are having a wonderful time J&M even if your stalking / stalked friends can’t be there this year :X
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 27 Sep 2020, 08:53

Thanks for the update Allan and glad that you made it to Symi :D When our June holiday to Cyprus was cancelled due to Covid we transferred the holiday to September which meant that sadly I had to cancel my September solo trip to Symi - though as Jet2 ended up cancelling the Thursday Rhodes flight that I was booked on it wouldn't have gone ahead on the 17th September anyway. I didn't end up going to Cyprus either, as we decided to transfer the holiday to next year due to the difficulties in getting a negative covid test within 72 hours prior to departure and the results coming back in time to upload to the flight pass - which is a current requirement when travelling from the UK to Cyprus. Instead we've just returned from a week in Cumbria which was a nice break though it didn't really compare to either Cyprus or Symi and was certainly a lot colder!

Happy holidays to Symi for those who have still got holidays to look forward to or are currently there :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Jan » 28 Sep 2020, 10:39

We too have just returned from 3 and a half weeks of Symi delight. Like Allan, we felt very safe and it was wonderful to be able to catch up with friends, take boat trips, visit bars and tavernas and generally enjoy ourselves.

The island is very quiet compared with a 'normal' September - some tavernas and shops shut, fewer day visitors from Rhodes, fewer people in general about. We tried to spread our custom amongst as many businesses as we could but it's clear that even if all holidaymakers do that, some Symiots are still going to have a very hard winter. We wish them luck, and better things to come.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 30 Sep 2020, 08:50

Wholeheartedly agree with you, Jan. We're here until 10th October and suspect a good many places will be closing by then. Today is the last day for the tavernas at Marathounda and Nanou. We need to keep an eye on the ferry timetables too as we have been warned that services are reducing because of lack of demand.

D&E - We've thought of you often, especially when visiting some favourite haunts, and missed you appearing from round street corners! Am sure our paths will cross again one day.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 01 Oct 2020, 08:23

Enjoy the rest of your trip Julia. It sounds as though the weather should still be wonderful and although some places are closing I'm sure there will be enough open for you to have a lovely last week :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat