Missing Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Missing Symi

Postby phillippalee » 16 May 2020, 17:28

I just wanted to give a wave to Symi, and all the people on here who are missing her!! My big birthday holiday (3 weeks).. was/is booked for the 28th September. According to our Government there will be no holidays abroad this year. I hope it is not true, but fear it will be. Well it means next year instead - still feeling sad. I am really happy that Greece has managed to keep infections down. How are others feeling at this time xx
phillippalee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Missing Symi

Postby Allan » 17 May 2020, 12:36

I'm missing Symi too Phillippa.

I think Matt Hancock's comments a few weeks ago have been badly mis-reported in some of the press as "Your summer holiday is cancelled" but that's not quite what's been said. In fact it's been flatly contradicted by the EU claiming that "Europe is open for tourist business".

Personally (and this is just my own guess, nothing more) I would expect your September 28th big birthday holiday to go ahead as planned.

You are right that Greece has managed to keep down the spread of Covid-19 but they desperately need the income they get from tourism so they have a delicate balancing act to follow. We can't predict for certain what will happen in the future of course but I expect there to be changes in the next few weeks as flights restart. There's plenty of time for things to settle down before September.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JuliaB » 17 May 2020, 18:47

So many of us must be missing Symi. We should be there at the moment. We haven't yet rebooked for later in the year but are monitoring the situation in the hopes that we'll be able to get there in September/October. Symi needs the income from tourism just as much as we need a holiday!
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby katy » 18 May 2020, 12:38

We are booked for mid-September and are preparing for not being there whilst secretly hoping we will be.
I think the situation must be very stressful for the people of Symi, they obviously want to stay safe but no income is a big threat to many, many people all over the world.
They must do what is safe for them, as must we.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby phillippalee » 18 May 2020, 17:01

Yes Katy - I am preparing my mind for not being there , but secretly hoping I will be!! Well put. Allan says its a while yet x
phillippalee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby D and E » 20 May 2020, 17:43

Our excitement levels would normally be rising by now as we normally head to wonderful Symi in late May / early June but alas not this year.
Greece has done ever so well in containing this awful pandemic and is now in such a difficult position balancing their economic needs with the risk of tourists bringing the virus to its shores. With many small islands like Symi having limited health infrastructure it could be devastating.
We are resigned to believing that we won’t see Symi this year and oh yes we will miss it terribly.
We will continue to connect through Instagram & Facebook and reading past Trip Reports on this Forum does allow us to feel close to the wonderful place that so many of us love.
Yasou for now.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 21 May 2020, 22:21

We are (were) due to go out on the 26th June with Olympic.

Latest from them is only up to 11th June that is cancelled. Greece opens up on 15th June but not to UK visitors.

As things stand we will still have to isolate for 14 days once back even if flights start and Greece lets us in which means we would have to cancel anyway.

At work I may have to stand to my holiday dates booked which means almost impossible to book anything later if things do open up.

Just a few obstacles in our way. :(

I'm sure we will return as soon as we can! :)

Stay safe all.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 24 May 2020, 11:23

It's that time of year for so many of us. With Symi in our thoughts we had a Greek evening yesterday: a delicious takeaway from our local Olive Tree, accompanied by ouzo, red wine and bouzouki music. Even managed to find a paper tablecloth that Zoe gave us as a souvenir some time ago!

We'll all be there again one day but the safety of the islanders must come first.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby katy » 24 May 2020, 17:24

Brilliant Julie! Hope your head was ok this morning :)
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 26 May 2020, 10:12

Like D&E I've resigned myself to not getting back to Symi this year and hope that everyone on Symi stays safe and this horrible virus stays away. I know that bars and restaurants have started to open now on Symi and hope they survive with less tourists. I will really miss reading D&E's fantastic blog and hearing about the wonderful meals they would be eating. Let's hope that things improve worldwide and we can all get back to the island we love before too long.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby MrsMcS » 03 Jun 2020, 14:03

Missing Symi too. Due to go on 12th September for my big birthday but alas won't be going. Due to pay our balance this month and don't want to end up out of pocket as think by September the flights may well be on. Don't have a problem with being in Greece but not keen being in an airport or sitting on a plane for four and a half hours breathing in recycled air as we both have underlying health conditions. Will just have to keep our fingers crossed for next year :'( . Stay safe everyone
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby petrostoo » 06 Jun 2020, 11:12

Agree with MrsMcS about planes & airports,
We have cancelled our 3 weeks @ Nireus from 2 September'20 as balance was due on 10 June
Lost small-ish deposit, but got a big discount for re-booking next September!

Good luck to those still going this year, and stay safe.
petrostoo
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby KN9700 » 08 Jun 2020, 10:13

Inge and I are also missing Symi but have booked 14 days at Taxiarchis in September and hope so much that there will be no restrictions from Greek or Danish authorities.
Just to let you know that some of the people who go to Symi every summer will be there also this year.
We´ll look forward to see all the Symifans that have been forced to cancel this summer in 2021.
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby rockbottom » 11 Jun 2020, 13:09

Also had to cancel as too many uncertainties about getting there. Lost deposit but have booked for three weeks next year!
rockbottom
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby bill » 06 Jul 2020, 07:57

bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby SPIDERWEB » 16 Jul 2020, 19:35

My wife and I should have been on the island at the beginning of July for a week as usual, but Olympic cancelled our holiday....boo hoo. Still we have booked for two weeks next year, so what’s 12 months between friends.
SPIDERWEB
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby phillippalee » 17 Jul 2020, 21:26

I am still hoping that I can get to Symi on the 28th September. I have even more of a wish to go as I have very wonderfully also won a week at the Old Markets!!! As I am going for 3 weeks and it is my 60th birthday, so a special holiday - I can stay some of the time in the harbour, and then some of the time in their sister hotel in Nimborio! It will make up for all the missed birthday parties!
phillippalee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 18 Jul 2020, 11:23

Wow - what a fabulous prize! Congratulations on winning and for your special birthday too. Fingers crossed that September holidays will go ahead. We're due to fly on 23rd September but without up to date ferry schedules are not sure just when we'll arrive on Symi.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 18 Jul 2020, 16:08

Huge congratulations on winning that wonderful prize!
I had a look around the Old Markets a few years ago and it really was impressive. They will look after you and make your special birthday extra special.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Symi Chat