Walk

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Walk

Postby Lisa B » 12 Aug 2018, 15:17

Hi, can anyone give me a basic description of the walk from the harbour to Pedi? Thank you :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: Walk

Postby Allan » 12 Aug 2018, 16:07

Follow the road! :P

No, seriously, you could follow the road so you wouldn't get lost but it is a bit boring.

Personally, I'd probably walk up the Kali Strata as far as Georgio's Taverna, turn left and walk along past the supermarket, then turn right shortly afterwards on the "short cut" road and follow it to where it joins the main road. Turn left, downhill, and keep going until Pedi.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 12 Aug 2018, 16:15

That's exactly what I wanted thank you. Dare I ask is the start of the Kali Strata obvious, not sure whether we walked it on our day visit years ago or some other steps??? :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 12 Aug 2018, 16:24

It's not obvious, no, and there have been complaints in the past about the lack of signs.
The simplest thing is to ask if you're not sure.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 12 Aug 2018, 16:26

Will do, thanks.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Mille » 12 Aug 2018, 16:37

Go to Amazon.co.uk, search for Symi: A Practical Guide by Clive Davies.

It's worth the 5.55£ (kindle version) / 8.5£ Paperback edition!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 12 Aug 2018, 17:14

I have that in my possession and yes it gives me a clue but like to ask as the excitement is just too much!!! ;)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 13 Aug 2018, 09:58

Lisa B wrote:That's exactly what I wanted thank you. Dare I ask is the start of the Kali Strata obvious, not sure whether we walked it on our day visit years ago or some other steps??? :D

Hi LisaB,
You have set a nice wee memory test for us on this damp Monday morning that makes us think of beloved Symi where we will be heading to in just over 5 weeks.
From standing on the harbour beside where the daily boats head out from for the various beaches, and looking out to sea, head to your right and you will see a very nice boutique on your left (next door to a small cafe bar called Mediteraeneo), and a well worth visiting giros restaurant on your right. Walk between these (there is fruit and veg for sale on your left) and straight ahead you will see the Italian Restuarant. You will see some (blue ?) steps at the back of the restaurant and that is one of the ways to start the Kali Strata. As you start up the steps, on the right, ther is a carpenter’s workshop, followed by the pet shop, and opposite there is another very nice (and one of E’s favourite) clothes shop.
If we have simply confused you then Allan’s advice is right - ask any passer by as there are other ways of getting onto the famous steps and it can be great fun finding your way up and down from Yialos to Chorio.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 13 Aug 2018, 10:13

Hi D&E, good to know I've got your little grey cells working! That's smashing, all the help the better. We walked up some steps on our day trip and saw the lady selling herbs but somehow seemed to miss the village? I know and we were sober! We go 4 weeks on Fri, so you maybe the poor souls we ask directions from! :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 13 Aug 2018, 13:55

If you found the steps with the herb seller on your first trip then you found the Kali Strata. Just keep climbing until you see the sign for Georgio and Maria's Taverna.

And don't stop on the way to chat to the herb seller, she can be VERY insistent. Just smile and keep walking. ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 13 Aug 2018, 14:37

Now you tell us! Where were you when we need you 4 years ago! ;) I think we must be veered off somehow in a panic to make sure we made it back for the boat.
Can't wait now, thank you :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 13 Aug 2018, 16:46

Our first 6 days will be in Pedi but we are prone to wander.
Having encountered Maria & her dried herbs you were so close to Nirvanah - just up to the corner and turn right, up more steps and there is Yannis Rainbow Bar - the pot of golden lager at the end of the rainbow :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 13 Aug 2018, 16:50

Allan wrote:If you found the steps with the herb seller on your first trip then you found the Kali Strata. Just keep climbing until you see the sign for Georgio and Maria's Taverna.

And don't stop on the way to chat to the herb seller, she can be VERY insistent. Just smile and keep walking. ;)

Sage advice (pun intended) :)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 13 Aug 2018, 17:08

D and E wrote:Sage advice (pun intended) :)

I thought I'd warn Lisa B in good thyme for her visit. ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Allan » 13 Aug 2018, 17:17

I think this picture might help with the navigation...

You can see the point where you turn left, in front of Georgio's big white wall. Their blue sign is very easy to spot so you shouldn't have any trouble finding the turn off.
Alternatively, continue up the last eight steps you can see in the picture (or maybe it's nine, hard to tell from this angle) and you will find D&E's Nirvanah. ;)

georgios location.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 13 Aug 2018, 19:09

Thanks for your mint suggestions........
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat