Ferry changes

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Ferry changes

Postby ChrisC » 29 Jun 2018, 22:32

I’m booked on the Panagia Skiadeni, leaving Rhodes at 0900 on 12 July. I’ve now had an email saying that it will be stopping at Panormitis which means a delayed arrival in Symi - at 1300hrs. I see that the Symi is sailing with the Sea Dreams company on the same day and time direct to Yialos, arriving at 1100. It seems that, at present, this is a day excursion with only round trip tickets available. As I’ll have baggage does anyone know whether there may be a problem boarding the Symi with the intention of disembarking at Symi and not taking the return journey? I seem to remember in the past that day trip boats were reluctant to take one-way passengers travelling with bags. Thanks.
ChrisC
Starting Visitor

Re: Ferry changes

Postby Allan » 30 Jun 2018, 17:20

Hello Chris and welcome.

No doubt Andy, our resident travel expert, will be along in a while to correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know Sea Dreams (using the Symi or more recently the Symi 2) are licensed for day trips only except for one or two specific crossings earlier in the year. The Panagia Skiadeni holds a full ferry licence and can take one-way passengers with luggage even though the morning crossing (leaving Rhodes at 09.30, not 09.00) is essentially a day trip, hence the stop at Panormitis on the way.

It's unlikely that Sea Dreams would let anyone with luggage on their day trip sailings and the port police on Symi will be keeping a close eye on the passengers so even if you could get on the boat it isn't worth the risk to save a couple of hours.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andy W » 30 Jun 2018, 21:18

Sea Dreams have changed ships on the Rhodes-Symi route. The Symi, which had a ferry licence and could carry one-way passengers, has been transferred to work in the Sporades. In exchange the Symi II has come south from the Sporades. Now although Symi II is capable of operating as a ferry, there are extra costs involved in doing so. Symi could carry vehicles, including trucks, and the money made from this covered the extra licence and crewing costs. Symi II doesn't have a vehicle deck and is somewhat smaller. so there is less scope for recovering the costs, and as a result Sea Dreams haven't so far taken up a ferry licence for the route. This means only day excursion tickets are available, and it is illegal for them to carry baggage on a day excursion. Now obviously there's nothing to stop passengers holding a day return ticket from simply failing to board for the return journey. People genuinely miss the boat every week. But if the crew allow you on board with baggage and the Rhodes port police/coastguard spot this, the captain will be heavily fined.The coastguard observe arrivals and departures at Rhodes and Symi to ensure the maximum safe passenger capacity is not exceeded, so there is little prospect of avoiding detection. On other day excursion vessels in the past, the Symi coastguard have deployed an amusing (for bystanders) trick of simply arranging for any baggage that is found on board or in the act of being carried ashore to be taken straight back to Rhodes again.

I obviously need to update the ferry timetables here, but have been waiting and waiting for an accurate entry to service date and timetable for the new ferry Sebeco which does now have a licence for the route - I'm still waiting, though we now know it can't be before 8 July as that's when the licence comes into effect. It was only launched last week so even 8 July seems optimistic.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 01 Jul 2018, 17:07

Hi Chris,

Can understand visitors wanting to get to Symi and settled into their accommodation but a stop at Panormitis is very enjoyable with the monastery well worth a visit and there is a Taverna for refreshments and of course the wonderful bakery.

Bon voyage.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby ChrisC » 03 Jul 2018, 10:34

Thanks for the detailed advice folks. It sounds like it isn't worth the risk of boarding the day excursion boat, even with small bags so we will stick with the Panagia Skiadeni and drop in at Panormitis first. Yes, D and E, it is a nice spot to while away an hour or two but we were rather hoping to drop off our luggage at 11am and run down for one of the taxi boats. But never mind, at least we'll have made it to Symi. In the meantime, I await news of the new fast boat....... Only 7 days until our trip and counting.
ChrisC
Starting Visitor

Postby Andy W » 11 Jul 2018, 10:33

Andy W wrote:I obviously need to update the ferry timetables here, but have been waiting and waiting for an accurate entry to service date and timetable for the new ferry Sebeco which does now have a licence for the route - I'm still waiting, though we now know it can't be before 8 July as that's when the licence comes into effect. It was only launched last week so even 8 July seems optimistic.

The brand new ferry Sebeco entered service today with a Symi to Rhodes sailing, hit a rock while arriving at Rhodes, and is now out of service, pending repairs.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 11 Jul 2018, 11:38

Andy W wrote:
Andy W wrote: hit a rock while arriving at Rhodes, and is now out of service, pending repairs.

Oh dear :(
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 11 Jul 2018, 12:03

Ouch
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 11 Jul 2018, 12:37

Actually I have to make a correction. The Rodiaki newspaper website says no rock was involved, instead a yacht sideswiped Sebeco as she was about to leave Rhodes at 10:00 for Symi, pushing her into the quayside and causing scratches and dents. The Coastguard have opened an investigation and Sebeco is undergoing a safety inspection to see how serious the damage is.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat