Can't wait!

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Can't wait!

Postby Catmadjane » 23 May 2018, 09:21

I've been to Symi 3 times in the past, the last time about 10 years ago. Family commitments have got in the way since then, but at last my sister and I have booked a return holiday in September. I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to coming back - some of my happiest memories are of Symi - 2 middle-aged ladies staggering off a trip boat after a perfect day swimming, eating and giggling. The place is beyond beautiful, the people kind and generous and the location just enough off the beaten track without being silly. We did venture as far as Patmos one year - a very interesting island, but the holiday was spoilt when they cancelled (without warning) the only ferry back to Kos on the day we were meant to be flying home. After taking part in scenes reminiscent of the frantic evacuation of Saigon, we managed to get on a motor boat for a 4 hour plus white knuckle ride, but still missed our flight.

As a teacher, I often log on to the Symi webcam to act as an antidote to the chaos in my inner city classroom. Once, I even put it on for my tutor group to watch: "But there's nothing going on, Miss"...precisely. From reading Symi Chat it seems there have been changes since we were last there, including a train! What are the main changes we should be preparing ourselves for do you think?
Catmadjane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Can't wait!

Postby Andy W » 23 May 2018, 10:09

A lot less package holidays, a lot more independent travellers.
The Symi Bus is bright yellow.
Fewer day excursion boats from Rhodes, but the ones that come are bigger
A lot of money has been spent on resurfacing roadways and tidying up building frontages around the harbour
Tourist road train from Yialos square to Nimborio
New quay allowing truly huge ferries to call
Less power outages
Mobile phones everywhere and wifi in almost every cafe
Some changes in bars and tavernas - some have closed, new ones have opened, and some have been handed on to the next generation
Just as many cats
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Catmadjane » 23 May 2018, 11:08

Excellent! Thanks Andy.
Catmadjane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 23 May 2018, 15:38

Catmadjane, you've made me smile, nice to know there are two other middle aged woman having laughs and giggles :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 24 May 2018, 10:32

Welcome to Symi Chat Catmadjane.

If I can add to Andy's concise list of differences to the island over the last ten years, I think you will notice a much greater variety of languages being spoken. Sitting in a Symi taverna ten years ago you would hear conversations in English, German, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian... These days you are as likely to hear Serbo-Croat or Hebrew as you are English or German.

News of Symi's charm has spread beyond the handful of mainly northern European countries and led to the change of emphasis from package holidays to independent travellers that Andy mentioned. That might be something to discuss with your tutor group when you return.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Catmadjane » 25 May 2018, 11:16

Thank you Lisa and Allan. The 1st time I came to Symi I remember there being quite a few Americans (you could hear them in the distance) but they seemed to have disappeared by our second visit - after we had a spot of bother in the Middle-east. I've always been impressed by the range of nationalities in Symi and their ability to speak flawless English, much to my shame. (It's very galling as a drama teacher to put your all into a detailed mime, only to be greeted by a raised eyebrow). I'm now retired from teaching by the way, hence the luxury of a holiday in September.

On our second visit we stayed for 4 weeks (I think the £ went further in those days) and we started to get more into the flow. Do the mega-rich still arrive on their luxury yachts? I remember the mini red carpets leading down onto the quay and the white uniformed flunkies guarding the gangplanks - in case Jack Sparrow put in an appearance. I remember wondering at the time how much they actually contributed to the local economy.

On our first visit there were ducks in the stream near the little bridge, what happened to them?

As you can see from my username, quite a lot of my time is spent stalking cats. We found an abandoned litter of kittens on our last visit (a child told us the mother had been killed) and after a bit of detective work we found a lovely lady (on the road to Aggilidi) who took them in. What's the current situation with moggies? Given the terrible situation with refugees it seems wrong to be so concerned with animals, but I would be very happy to donate to their support.

I wish I'd known about Symi Chat earlier - all my burning questions could have been answered.
Catmadjane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby D and E » 25 May 2018, 12:46

Hi Catmadjane,

You can still witness how wealth is ill-divided in our world when you see some of the super yachts that turn up in Yialos. We are told some will come ashore and buy the odd fridge magnet and some may even dine in Manos Fish if they can afford to ;)

The ducks are no more & as we have never seen duck on a menu like to think they flew off to some equally idyllic resting place although finding somewhere as idyllic as Symi would be a tough call.

There are still many cats on Symi but not as many as we witnessed when we first started visiting over 20 years ago. The vet visits and the spaying initiatives over several years certainly made a difference. Symi Animal Welfare is still in being at
http://symianimalwelfare.org

We hope you have as wonderful time as we just have over the last week.

D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 25 May 2018, 13:26

Hi Catmadjane

I think D&E just answered most of your questions but do keep asking them!

The island does quite well from the mega-rich on their hideous motor yachts overall. The mooring cost is based on the boat's length and that money goes into the island's coffers so everyone benefits, not just a few select harbour businesses. The Symi supermarkets will be happy to sell them crates of champagne and I dread to think how much fuel the floating gin palaces get through! As D&E said, the mega-rich are more likely to dine on board their boat but the fresh food they eat has to come from somewhere and Symi supermarkets will be happy to oblige.

Rather than the rich, it tends to be the Rhodes day-trippers that contribute little to the economy. With the popularity of "All-Inclusive" holidays on Rhodes it's not unusual to see day-trippers sat around the harbour eating their "free" packed lunches, often straight outside tavernas that are struggling to make a living.

You can donate to Symi Animal Welfare at the link that D&E quoted. There is a donation link at the bottom of the home page where you can use Paypal or a credit/debit card. You will get a thank you email although since the group treasurer is working off the island at the moment it may take a little time to get a response. It may be better to wait until you are on Symi and look out for the "SAW" collection boxes in shops and businesses around the island.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Catmadjane » 25 May 2018, 14:40

Dear D & G and Allan, thanks for your speedy responses. I can almost feel the blissful warmth and smell the mountain sage. Rainy here today. I shall look out for the collection boxes when I get there.
Catmadjane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Symi Chat