Symi Updates

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Symi Updates

Postby Robert » 09 May 2018, 17:07

We are just back from a flying visit to Symi
Things of interest
Spitiko has expanded and is already busy in both old and new sections - lovely to see and as good as always.
Elipidas has expanded next door too - another big plus - but sadly this means the demise of the rather eclectic gift shop next door - which will be a miss.
Mythos has closed - for good I gather - its chef now has a very small restaurant in Rhodes opposite the Plaza
The beaches suffered badly in the storm and hence are later in opening than would be expected. Nanou has lost its jetty and a new one is being built.
Vapouri is celebrating 30 years!
As Andy has said elsewhere the celebrations yesterday were amazing and what a wonderful sense of community there was - plus the harbour is 'open' though not functional!
Rumours that Sea Dreams are about to launch something that ' will be a game changer' abound - but without a new ship I wonder? Mind you the King Saron was much in evidence during our stay
There is yet another cruise company day tripping = Rizos Cruises (a change from Lindos 3 days a week) - and FYI the day trips were pretty full especially Sea Dreams / King Saron, and the NicolasX
Rhodes airport is much improved but not finished a new duty free, much like Athens, is being built - departures at the moment are a bit chaotic not helped by the tech printing machines that supply the crew with data not working and all being done by hand - result delayed departure ! Arrivals toilets were clean and obviously signs of a clean up generally! We flew back with Tuifly and the check in was amazingly quick! Not as anticipated.
More when I get my pictures sported
Bob
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: Symi Updates

Postby Robert » 09 May 2018, 17:32

PS I forgot one other piece of really good news - the Panormitis Bakery - which is wonderful - have opened a branch in the Symi Harbour main square - cheese pie heaven!
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kon » 10 May 2018, 06:00

So glad the Panormiti bakery is up and running again ,best tiropites,spanokopites .
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Jan » 10 May 2018, 09:57

Re Mythos, when we spoke to Stavros last year (end of September) he assured us that he wasn't leaving Symi for good. Unless his plans have changed, maybe he'll re-open just for the 'main' season? I do hope so, and that' main' lasts to September, as the delights of his meze menu would be sorely missed.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby NeilC » 10 May 2018, 12:15

Does anyone know if Cafe Sunrise is still open in Horio - and where it is?
NeilC
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 10 May 2018, 15:56

For those who want to find the restaurant in Rhodes that Stavros from Mythos has started, it is called Mythos Symi; it is very near the Plaza Hotel but not actually opposite-
leave the hotel by the main entrance,turn left. Immediately before the kiosk, take the footpath on the right, heading towards the FoodMarket building. Before you actually reach it, take the road on the right, and the restaurant is about 100 metres on the right. His partners on Rhodes are the team from the late lamented Indigo restaurant.

Yes, the Sunrise Kafenion is still open. Where do you want directions starting from!
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby NeilC » 11 May 2018, 07:34

Andy W wrote:Yes, the Sunrise Kafenion is still open. Where do you want directions starting from!

Thanks Andy. We're in Rhodes in early June before travelling to Symi on the 7th, so we'll try to eat at Mythos and see if it is as good as it was before!

We're staying at the Two Fishes in Horio, but have never been there before. How about directions to Sunrise from Lefteris’s Kafenion at the top of Kali Strata - is it near there?
NeilC
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 11 May 2018, 20:10

Nearer than the Two Fishes!
Walk downhill from Lefteris Kafenion and turn right up the street between Georgio's Taverna and The Olive Tree. Walk along until you reach the clothes shop. Turn right down the side of the shop. Almost immediately the road forks, take the left, higher level. From here it is about 150 metres on the left.

Corrected 12/5/18
Last edited by Andy W on 12 May 2018, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SueO » 12 May 2018, 06:24

Walk downhill from Lefteris Kafenion and turn left up the street between Georgio's Taverna and The Olive Tree.

Morning Andy. Maybe it's me and it is still early but shouldn't that be turn right? Forgive me if I'm just confusing things.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 12 May 2018, 06:34

Quite right, Sue. You'd end up embedded in a building otherwise. I've corrected my post.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby NeilC » 14 May 2018, 07:42

Thanks Andy (and Sue). We should be able to locate Sunrise following those instructions.
NeilC
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Symi Chat