Ferry Bodrum-Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Ferry Bodrum-Symi

Postby Pera » 07 May 2018, 14:31

Hello there - we are traveling to Symi via Bodrum in late June, back mid-July) and saw that two operators, Yesil Marmaris and Sea Dreams, are offering the route in summer (http://www.yesilmarmarislines.com/en/bo ... y-schedule and https://tours.seadreams.gr/availability ... s=0&ppid=0). The days and times are the same, so this is probably the same ferry, I guess? I've heard that this service was announced in previous years and never really materialised, and was wondering if anyone knows if it is going to happen this year. There's always the Bodrum-Kos-Symi connection which seems to be more stable, but it also takes considerably longer and would be much less convenient than a direct Bodrum-Symi ferry. We'd highly appreciate your insights!
Pera
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Ferry Bodrum-Symi

Postby Andy W » 07 May 2018, 18:29

Yes, these are Turkish and Greek travel companies marketing the same ferry. It has operated sporadically in the past, with two provisos. One is that the ship involved does not sail if the wind strength exceeds Beaufort 6, to comply with safety regulations for the ship type. It is a different ship this year, previously a hydrofoil was used, which had a lower safe wind speed The other is that although one-way and period return tickets exist, the entire service is based on the day excursion market from Bodrum. If there aren't enough daytrippers to make the sailing economic, it is cancelled.
Interestingly, I'm on Symi at the moment and there is zero publicity here for the service. It isn't even obvious who the local agent is.
With luck you should be able to find out if it will run on the day you want before the last of the morning Bodrum to Kos ferries leaves, so you can use the alternative route. Coming back to Bodrum, I wouldn't risk it, the timings don't give you that safety option.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Ferry Bodrum-Symi

Postby Pera » 07 May 2018, 19:55

Thank you Andy - that's very helpful!
Pera
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Symi Chat