Ferries

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Ferries

Postby anton » 25 Apr 2018, 16:56

I have heard that ANES have bought a new ship with the aim of providing a daily service to and from Rhodes - anybody have any more details about this ?
anton
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Ferries

Postby Andy W » 26 Apr 2018, 08:24

ANES don't currently hold a route licence to operate between Symi and Rhodes, and they haven't operated over the route for 5 years. If they have indeed bought a ship, they'd need to get a licence for it -and interested parties, like say Dodekanisos Seaways, have the right to object. I heard this same rumour when I was on Symi in October. Now it is the end of April, I'm back on Symi, and as far as I can see, nothing has happened yet.
Greek shipping enthusiasts have heard that ANES have ordered a brand new high-speed ship from the Koropi shipyard, but nobody has managed to find any details, like when they expect to take delivery, or what route it will operate on.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby anton » 26 Apr 2018, 12:22

Ah. So it sounds like we probably shouldn't be hanging on in the hope of an Saturday evening ferry from Rhodes or a Saturday morning ferry from Symi - thanks for the heads up.
anton
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 27 Apr 2018, 07:35

Speculation on Symi is concentrating on Blue Star providing a third weekly sailing each way once the new "big ferry" quay opens next month so Symi is no longer restricted in the length of ferries that can call there. But I've not heard Saturdays suggested.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby anton » 27 Apr 2018, 11:47

Oh wow, so the new quay is opening next month - I hadn't realised it was that close to being finished - that's exciting. Does that mean all the ferries will stop there once it's open or just the big ones?
anton
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 27 Apr 2018, 11:55

Effectively it is finished. Just some minor tidying up works and presumably a ticket hut or two. Current intentions focus on the big Blue Star ferries, and cruise ships.These block up the harbour entrance at present, and bring traffic chaos. The smaller Panagia Skiadeni, Symi, and the catamarans fit the harbour fine, and mostly bring passengers on foot. There are hopes of more calls by the bigger cruise ships.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat