A green and pleasant Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

A green and pleasant Symi

Postby katy » 22 Mar 2018, 09:44

Every time I look at Adriana's lovely photographs of Spring bursting out all over Symi, I always yearn to be there to see it. Has anyone travelled to Symi at this time of year, if so what does the island 'feel' like?
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: A green and pleasant Symi

Postby Pollychops » 22 Mar 2018, 15:16

Hi Katy, I was thinking the same when I saw Adrianas photos. It looks wonderful compared to the dry landscape when we visit. I looked at the webcam and this is how the harbour looks today. I think the word is variable when it comes to weather at this time of year.
Symi winter.PNG
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 22 Mar 2018, 17:17

But there's a trade-off. You wouldn't have got to Symi today because the advertised ferry was cancelled due to excessive winds (look at the sea state inside the harbour).
It's beautiful at this time of year, but far from quiet. Not only are locals very hard at work fixing up buildings and boats ready for summer, using power tools, but Greek Easter is only a couple of weeks away, meaning the children are busy letting off fireworks, and a small number of adults are rehearsing the massive explosions used to welcome Easter.
On the other hand, the tourist infrastructure is still at winter level - bus on a very reduced timetable, only two or three tavernas open, tourist shops firmly closed. It is still possible to have a great time, but it is a very different kind of experience to summer - no lying on sunbeds or trips round the island, you need to dress in layers because in the sun it is hot and out of it you will shiver if it is at all windy. Once Greek Easter is arrived, tourism slowly arrives too.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby katy » 22 Mar 2018, 19:33

Haha, today was not the day to ask was it!
Still, I would love to do our walk down the Pedi valley gazing at the wonderful wild flowers and greenery. It is always beautiful with the bougainvillea and veggies but I think it would be a very different holiday!
Thanks Andy, for sea view, it does look a bit wild certainly.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 23 Mar 2018, 12:38

As well as the windy days Symi is suffering from the regular downpours of "red rain" which leaves nasty red/orange smears on everything it touches. Including the lens of the webcam, sadly.

Adriana kindly gave it a wipe this morning so we get a much clearer view of the harbour and the very distinctly green hillside above Pitini.

image000M.jpg

She warns that the red rain is still about so the clear view may not last long!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Colette » 23 Mar 2018, 15:29

I have visited Symi at this time of year and it is indeed different from the summer but still as lovely as ever with lots of greenery, especially in the Pedi valley. A gang of us even went in the sea when celebrating a birthday with a picnic at Nos beach ( much to the bemusement of passers by) As Andy says layers are needed as it can be warm in the sun but a tad chilly in the shade and the evenings. :D
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat