Going to and from Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Going to and from Symi

Postby KN9700 » 19 Jan 2018, 17:09

My wife and I are going to Symi in September and we have been travelling independently many times.

We have been forced to accept that you have to stay on Rhodes for one night on the way to Symi and for one night on the way home.
The problem is, as most of you might know, the ferry timetable not the arrival time of flights.

We arrive around midday from Denmark, but at that time the one daily ferry -Spanos - has left.
Going home we must be in the airport two hours before departure and the plane leaves too early, so we can not be sure to catch the plane, if we go by the morning ferry from Symi.

But we have accepted the conditions. Always look on the bright sides of life :D .

We have booked flights and accommodation at Taxiarchis as usual and are just waiting for the timetable for the ferries, we use to book as soon as it is possible.

On Rhodes we have time to go by bus from the airport to the town and Plaza Hotel and have time enough to go sight-seeing. On our way home we have a relaxed day and just a trip by taxi to the airport and the flight from Rhodes to Aalborg to undertake.

How are you going to and from Symi?

See you on Symi in September.

Karl-Johan
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Re: Going to and from Symi

Postby Mille » 19 Jan 2018, 18:20

Hi Karl- Johan

I'm Danish too and always travel with Spies Rejser.
They too have Taxiarchis ;-)

I usually leave Copenhagen Airport very early in the morning and that means I have to spend a few hours on Rhodes. The last few years it has been on a hotel not long from the windy beach and walking distance from the town.

Going home is the same. A few hours on Rhodes if there's an afternoon ferry, 12- ish hours if there's only a morning boat.

Apollo Rejser does Symi too, but have very limited hotels/ houses. (- and the few times I've travelled with them, I've been put in a hotel far from every thing while waiting for a ferry!)

Have never done the independent trips.. too scared ;-)

Hope to see you in September
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gemma1 » 20 Jan 2018, 10:18

Well I'm British and travelling on a package with Olympic Holidays. Rather than travelling on the Manchester charter flight I've paid a bit extra to fly with Jet2 from my local airport. It's an afternoon flight so I know I'll have to spend the night on Rhodes but have no idea where I'll be staying as that will be down to Olympic. I look at it as a bit of a magical mystery tour in the knowledge I'll be arriving on Symi the following morning :) Coming back it's quite a late flight so hopefully I can travel on the afternoon ferry back to Rhodes and only have to stay in Rhodes on the outbound journey.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 21 Jan 2018, 17:29

We're Jet2 from Manchester, one night in Rhodes, morning ferry to Symi, on our return it will be ferry back to Rhodes flight home same day. :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 21 Jan 2018, 19:16

It sounds as if you are a seasoned Symi visitor Karl-Johan and are prepared for anything as long as you get to Symi in the end. That's a very sensible attitude to take. :) As you say, the ferry timetables could change everything and we won't know for a few months yet what the changes are for 2018. But if the last few years are anything to go by the inevitable changes aren't likely to be for the better so we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope.

For the last few years I've deliberately chosen to have a night in Rhodes on the way to Symi and it's worked very well. I'm hoping it'll work this year too. I get a late afternoon flight from the UK on a Saturday, arriving just in time to get to The Plaza for a late night first beer of the holiday and then a decent night's sleep, long shower and superb breakfast before taking the 8.30 ferry, arriving on Symi by 9.15 or so. All I "miss" by staying a night on Rhodes is one meal and a sleep on Symi. On the return journey I have almost a full day on Symi before the 17.35 ferry which gets into Rhodes in good time for a leisurely dinner and a taxi to the airport for the late flight home. The disadvantage, of course, is that I arrive back in the UK in the early hours of the morning but I don't mind that, especially since it's the early hours of a Sunday morning! ;)

That's the plan for this year and the flights are booked but whether the ferries will operate as in previous years is yet to be seen.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pollychops » 21 Jan 2018, 20:58

Hi Karl
Like you we travel independently and we also stay with Frank @ Taxiarchis. Normally we catch the first flight out from Gatwick and catch the ferry across at lunchtime. This year however, there was a flight from Luton which worked out more than half the cost. The trade off for a this saving is an afternoon flight and 1 nights stay in Rhodes which is no hardship. Like Allan previously its only one meal and night away from Symi. The return journey is the same as before which gives us all day in Symi, late afternoon crossing and a late flight out of Rhodes. Luton airport is closer to our home and the saving has made it worthwhile. Normally we go in June. Last year we tried the last day in August and this year we are now travelling towards the end of the first week in September. We found last year at this time better for both of us. Only one problem. Its just over 6 months away.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat