Need a fix!

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Need a fix!

Postby Lisa B » 21 Oct 2017, 11:17

HI All,

I'm very new to this forum and have really enjoyed reading all the topics, whether its peoples trip reports or fact gleaning for our Symi holiday in 2018.
Please can somebody start a topic, tell me anything about Symi, I know its end of season but I'm missing my fix..... :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: Need a fix!

Postby Allan » 21 Oct 2017, 18:47

Now there's a challenge :D

I'm not sure I can tell you anything about Symi that hasn't already been said on here, probably much more eloquently than I ever could. But I do have a lot of pictures taken over the years. Perhaps tomorrow when I've finished a stack of other jobs (all Symi-related) I'll start posting some of the pictures. If nothing else it'll be nice to look at sunny images rather than Storm Brian currently hammering against the windows here in northern England.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 21 Oct 2017, 21:39

Oh yes please, weather is shocking here in Manchester so much rain!! Can you walk to the beaches or would you recommend bus/water taxi?
Thanks for replying.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 22 Oct 2017, 06:11

I stuck my head out of the window and took this for you 10 minutes ago. But by Tuesday Symi is scheduled for heavy rain and thunder.
DSCF2465a.jpg
Early morning Nimos -8am 22Oct 2017
Attachments
DSCF2466a.jpg
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 22 Oct 2017, 08:44

Beautiful Symi photo Andy. Wish I could stick my head out of the window and see something like that. At the moment all I can see is rain and leaves all over the place, no blue of any description anywhere in sight.

I usually walk to the beaches Lisa, though it does depend which beach you want to go to - I'd draw the line at walking to Nanou or Marathounda. I always enjoy the walk over the cliff to Agios Nikolaos as it's only a short walk from Pedi. Likewise the walk to Emborio over the top is a lovely walk - though it does depend what time of year it is and how much you enjoy walking. Nos beach is the town beach and not very far from the harbor.

Hope you have a fabulous time on Symi Lisa. I keep venturing off to other islands but Symi does keep drawing me back more than anywhere else is Greece :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 22 Oct 2017, 10:34

Well what can I say! What a fabulous response. An amazing picture and so special thanks Andy. That's good news re walking to beaches, need some exercise to counter balance the food intake Gemma. Seems such a long wait but I know it'll be well worth it. :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 22 Oct 2017, 15:52

Looks like you are getting some good responses there Lisa and it is lovely to get a "right now" view of Symi - thanks Andy.
Regarding walking to beaches, Gemma has more or less covered it for you. As with so many questions about Symi, the correct answer is: "It all depends". Not very helpful, I know ;)
Everyone is different and one person's 'short walk' could be someone else's 'strenuous hike' but there are always options so see how you feel when you get there.

You haven't mentioned where you're staying on the island but if you are around the harbour area in Yialos then, as Gemma says, there is Nos beach just round the headland and the walk there is completely flat so shouldn't trouble anyone. You can continue round the road to Emborio (or Nimborio - choose your spelling). The walk isn't as interesting as the one that Gemma suggests but it is almost flat the whole way. Again, a different option.

If you are staying in the village (Chorio) it is an easy downhill stroll to Pedi (you can get the bus back if you want) and the beaches there are fine with two good tavernas to choose from. Alternatively you can walk from Pedi over to Ag. Nikolas as Gemma suggests, it's a nice walk. Just one thing to be aware of though: The last stretch of the walk is down steps cut into the rock and, whilst it is perfectly safe, it might not be suitable for anyone that suffers from vertigo.

IMG_4106.JPG

A longer walk from Pedi round the other side of the bay will bring you to Ag. Marina.

There are options again here. There are taxi boats in Pedi that will take you to Ag. Nikolas and Marina to save the walk or you could choose to walk there and get the boat back, or vice-versa.

More distant beaches are best visited using taxi boats. In fact, St George's beach is only accessible by boat. Many people love the exhilarating taxi boat ride to the beaches (those boats go fast!) and make the boat trips a big part of the holiday.

So many options! :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 22 Oct 2017, 16:32

Staying at Thea Apartments, love walking although on this holiday probably an hour would be more than enough to a beach. Visited for a day couple of years ago didn't realise Pedi or village existed!!
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Oct 2017, 07:32

All the beaches that Alan and I mentioned walking to can be achieved within an hour, plus there is Toli. However I've only walked to Toli once as it's a long walk along the road, with a track/unmade road for the last bit, and it was very hot walking back up the hill on the walk back back as there's very little shade on the route. Last year there was a mini bus to Toli that you could book through Symi Tours and the taverna owner provided transport for the last stretch on his jeep.

There is an excellent beach guide on here that gives more information about all Symi's beaches, though I'm not sure how up to date it is.

If you've never visited Pedi or Chorio you are in for a treat. Chorio is one of my favourite places, a real Greek village and I can spend ages wandering round the old streets. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time and it will definitely be worth the wait. After missing out on Symi this year I can't wait to go back next September :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 23 Oct 2017, 10:27

Yes Gemma, couldn't believe we'd missed Chorio! I think the aim is to visit each beach at least once, we do like to snorkel a bit so will seek out the best place for that. Very excited about our Symi visit for some reason, had lovely holidays in beautiful places but this feels like it could be special. :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Nov 2017, 12:47

As the title suggests & as we are playing around with a couple of photo Apps thought a few pics might fit the bill.

4FCF225A-46B5-4E3C-BE95-B9D1EF498CA5.jpeg
Symi Beaches
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Nov 2017, 12:51

D105E99C-CB7C-47A4-93C0-657A0DAD85A8.jpeg
Toli
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Nov 2017, 12:54

2DE4AE4E-1F49-4C20-B9D2-5C73E1E3C87F.jpeg
Tolis (bigger)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Nov 2017, 12:57

03032958-5A42-449D-9DB7-8B09F6015FBF.jpeg
Hirani From TzaTi
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Nov 2017, 13:03

86516408-8EE2-4B5D-9055-76473708EBF4.jpeg
St. Nikolas Beach - Our Favourite
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 03 Nov 2017, 17:25

Hey Hey D & E,
I have been eagerly waiting your response, wondered where you'd got to!
What great pics, really made our day on a decidedly chilly day in Manchester. Sure I saw an umbrella with my name on!! :D
Thanks
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat