New Harbour

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

New Harbour

Postby Pollychops » 05 Oct 2017, 11:06

I managed to take a walk over to the new harbour during our visit in September and took some photos, sorry it has taken so long to load. It is near completion with only a small amount of paving to be laid, all of the street lighting and floodlights are in place. I would assume there may be some form of building to be erected either stone or maybe portacabin types. The approach road is of normal width however, once you get near it widens to quite a large size to accommodate cars, lorries etc. At the far end there is a sloping deck and I would guess this is to accommodate the large vessel ramps. There are also some capstan/bollards for boats to tie up to along the dockside. One thing that did com to my mind was once this harbour is in use and all large vessels disembark from it, we will not enjoy the slow manoeuvring into the harbour at the clocktower and enjoy the beautiful view of the hillside and all the way up to Chorio. I suppose that is progress and it will make a huge difference to the congestion around the main harbour that happens at the moment. So maybe by next summer this will be in use....who knows
Attachments
WP_20170909_12_18_12_Rich.jpg
WP_20170909_12_19_55_Rich.jpg
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: New Harbour

Postby Pollychops » 05 Oct 2017, 11:09

More images showing the approach road and the slipway
Attachments
WP_20170909_12_20_57_Rich.jpg
WP_20170909_12_15_50_Pro.jpg