Monarch

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Monarch

Postby silverfox » 01 Oct 2017, 14:52

We have the early Monarch flights booked from Manchester next June. It's the best chance of a ferry on the same day.

With the news of their problems it looks like paying a little extra may not get us on the ferry.

We will have to wait and see!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Monarch

Postby D and E » 01 Oct 2017, 18:22

silverfox wrote:We have the early Monarch flights booked from Manchester next June. It's the best chance of a ferry on the same day.

With the news of their problems it looks like paying a little extra may not get us on the ferry.

We will have to wait and see!

I recall a lot of scare stories about Monarch last year and they survived and although we had delays both outbound and return this year the aircraft, service and crew were all wonderful. Fingers crossed that they come through these hard times and that all will be OK for next year.
There were very good prices for EasyJet 05:30 from Gatwick next May on their website this morning - was just looking not booking - YET :o
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Andy W » 02 Oct 2017, 05:04

Sorry, everyone, especially for Monarch's staff, but it is over. The airline is now in administration and there are no further Monarch flights.
Some 30 aircraft have been chartered to cover the return flights of passengers with Monarch tickets up to 15 October.
http://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-am ... ly-abroad/ will tell you what to do.
British Airways appear to be doing a lot of the coordination on behalf of the UK Civil Aviation Authority.

If you have yet to travel outwards from the UK, all you can do is try to claim a refund. If your booking is with Monarch Holidays, the ATOL scheme will refund your money.
If you booked directly with Monarch Airlines before 14 December 2016, the ATOL scheme will refund your money. Bookings made after 15 December are not ATOL protected. If you paid by credit card or paypal, contact the card issuer or paypal to discuss a refund.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 02 Oct 2017, 07:19

Very sorry to hear about the demise of Monarch. I heard about it on the news and then of course on here. It's a few years since I've flown with Monarch though I've used them for a few Symi holidays in the past and flew with them to Goa several times too, though they pulled out of the Manchester/Goa route a few years ago. I hope that everybody affected manages to get home without too much of a delay.

Hope you manage to get some alternative flights booked for next year silverfox.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 02 Oct 2017, 07:26

We are booked through Olympic on a package so should be covered.

Always enjoyed flying with Monarch too.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Marieclaire » 02 Oct 2017, 12:54

We were booked on the early Monarch flight on Wednesday am but were lucky to get two seats next to each other on the Thomson flight leaving at 7am. These were booked at 5am today and the remaining seats on that flight later increased by £50 per person. It seems all seats on that flight are now taken. We are hoping that everything will go to plan for our journey to Symi and will be applying to the credit card company for a refund of the cost of the original tickets.
Marieclaire
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Colette » 02 Oct 2017, 13:46

I have friends on Symi and Tilos at the moment ,travelling independently with Monarch flights and due to return home on Wednesday.Both couples have already had messages saying that alternative flights home are being arranged for them on Wednesday. I'm feel so sorry for the Monarch staff, the cabin crew were as wonderful as ever when I flew back with them last Wednesday even though they must have known their jobs were in jeopardy. My June 2018 holiday includes the 06.15 Monarch flight from Manchester but my September one is on a Thomson flight which leaves Manchester at 07.00 so with a bit of luck Olympic will swap me on to that one in June and I should still be able to get the afternoon Blue Star. Fingers crossed but at the end of the day an overnight in Rhodes is not the end of the world .
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 02 Oct 2017, 14:09

Hi, having been hovering over the 'book it' button for flights to Rhodes Sept '18 for a couple of weeks now, wanted to check dates, work etc. Decided on over night stay in Rhodes and fly with Jet2 from M/cr, seems the prices have already gone up!!Booked it though. Hope people aren't too inconvenienced and travel safely.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 03 Oct 2017, 09:34

For those due to return from Rhodes to the UK with Monarch tomorrow, the Manchester flight is replaced by one operated by Spanish airline Wamos Air, and the Gatwick one by a flight using a British Airways flight number, actually operated by Qatar Airways under subcontract to BA. In both cases the flights will operate at Monarch's original times.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Oct 2017, 18:13

Email from Olympic.

We are now on the ASL France flight at 8.15am arriving in Rhodes 2.30pm so if the ferries are the same as this year it's looking like a night on Rhodes.

Return flight at 3.15pm (local time) back in Manchester at 5.45pm.

Olympic say it's a minor change with no refunds or chance to cancel although i'm sure we paid a little more for the early flight.

I suppose it could have been worse.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 09 Oct 2017, 20:41

Hi Silverfox, if your original flight landed and enabled you to catch the ferry on the same day then I think you may have a case to argue with Olympic as you are having to stay overnight in Rhodes and losing one night at your chosen destination. I would like to think you have the option to accept their alternative flight or a full refund. it may be worthwhile sending them n email asking this question.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Oct 2017, 20:47

Pollychops wrote:Hi Silverfox, if your original flight landed and enabled you to catch the ferry on the same day then I think you may have a case to argue with Olympic as you are having to stay overnight in Rhodes and losing one night at your chosen destination. I would like to think you have the option to accept their alternative flight or a full refund. it may be worthwhile sending them n email asking this question.

With what they say in their email and their terms and conditions we don't have a chance Pollychops.

The ferry times are nothing to do with them.

The early flight with Thompson now has around a £400.00 premium which they would never stand to.

It is what it is...you never know the ferry timetable may change but if not a night on Rhodes is not the end of the world.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 10 Oct 2017, 07:04

When we travelled to Ithaca with Olympic in June our flight was changed from early morning (0500) to mid afternoon (1500) and even that was considered a minor change so you've no chance of Olympic classing it as anything else I'm afraid. To be fair to Olympic it's hardly their fault that Monarch went into liquidation and at least they've found an alternative flight without too much disruption. I have some friends who were due to fly to Tenerife with Monarch yesterday for a winter long stay holiday and have lost their holiday completely so the main thing is silverfox can still get to Symi :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 10 Oct 2017, 07:55

Oh well it was worth a try. I'm glad your ok with an overnight in Rhodes. I am sure you will have a great time once you are there.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby martynclark » 10 Oct 2017, 18:49

We booked with Olympic flying with Monarch from Birmingham on 30 May. Travel agent came back to me today saying I could now fly via Thomson flight at 0700 on the same day but would have to pay £50 each extra. As I only paid £925 for the holiday originally and they are now asking nearly £1500 for the same holiday it's a case of biting the bullet and paying the £100, they also offered the oppportunity to cancel holiday and they would refund deposit. As it's our first time to Symi if we land in Rhodes on time at 13.05 what are our chances of catching the 15.00 ferry presuming sailing times are same as this year
martynclark
Starting Visitor

Postby D and E » 10 Oct 2017, 19:13

martynclark wrote:We booked with Olympic flying with Monarch from Birmingham on 30 May. Travel agent came back to me today saying I could now fly via Thomson flight at 0700 on the same day but would have to pay £50 each extra. As I only paid £925 for the holiday originally and they are now asking nearly £1500 for the same holiday it's a case of biting the bullet and paying the £100, they also offered the oppportunity to cancel holiday and they would refund deposit. As it's our first time to Symi if we land in Rhodes on time at 13.05 what are our chances of catching the 15.00 ferry presuming sailing times are same as this year

I would have thought that there is a very good chance Martyn.
During both our visits this year baggage was handled quickly at Diagoras Airport - last time in September it was so quick D didn’t have time to have his usual first small Mythos from the vending machine :o
Olympic have put us in a taxi in the past to make sure we made the ferry but that was a few years ago now.
So assuming 30mins for bags and a 30 min taxi ride to Akantia you should make it.
First time on Symi - we can still recall that, all those years ago, but we still get the same thrill every time we round the headland and see this most magical of places - don’t think that feeling of wonder will ever leave us.
Best wishes,
D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Colette » 11 Oct 2017, 13:19

I had a phone call from Olympic on Thursday giving me details of an alternative flight in June, leaving 2 hours later than the original Monarch flight which means I won't land until 14.30 thus missing the Blue Star. Being the eternal optimist I'm hoping the evening ferry might be reinstated but if not I'll enjoy he first day of my holiday wherever I am :D
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 14 Oct 2017, 13:08

I was taken to Faliraki in September but fortunately not on the "Gaza Strip" It was on the outskirts, very quiet and even a very nice swimming pool. Phew!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat