First timers impressions of Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

First timers impressions of Symi

Postby JeffHaynes » 18 Sep 2017, 13:10

An afternoon flight out of LGW meant that we had an overnight stay in Rhodes. The taxi from the Airport to the Ibsicus hotel was great, with a nice commentary from the lady taxi driver about the various districts we were travelling through. We reached the hotel as it got dark. Finishing our Boots sandwiches (!) from Gatwick on our arrival, we headed for the hotel bar. A few cocktails later it was time for bed!

Early start, first in the hotel restaurant for breakfast, then check out and into a taxi to the port. I think the driver was a backup for Lewis Hamilton judging by the speed! Onto the ferry now - the Dodek Express and onwards to Symi. A easy walk to the Odyssia, our apartments for our stay we were met by the avuncular Manolis. He looked after our bags (Room 1 was not ready, not surprising at 9:45 am!) whilst we headed to the Paradise beach for a drink.

Back to Odyssia after trying out the sunbeds and watching the "re-build" of the beach. We were in! 8 night stay ahead. I cant fault the Odyssia, the breakfasts were plain, but filling, but the views from our patio were stunning!

During the time we mostly "hit the beaches" catching the 10am taxis to St Nicks or St Marina. Highlight of the week - the Poseidon adventure! 5 stops and a BBQ. Being Veggies we needn't have worried, there was ample green stuff available! A little meander up the Kali Strata later in the week but not too far as it was way too hot for a major excursion!

Last day - check out, (monolis looked after our cases) - Pardise beach, long lunch then to the Panagia Ferry to takes us home.

Highlights - To Spitko Taverna. Does Jordana never stop smiling? Great food, great service. Poseidon -, all day cruise, superb water (the colours!). Odyssia, great fish. People watching. Beach tavernae.

I know we weren't too adventurous. Maybe next time , when its cooler, we will do more.
Attachments
rsz_21img_20170917_174206_246.jpg
rsz_img_20170915_190114162-pano_1 (1).jpg
rsz_img_20170917_195115-effects.jpg
JeffHaynes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: First timers impressions of Symi

Postby D and E » 18 Sep 2017, 16:22

Excellent synopsis JeffHaynes which has prompted us to think about the amberjack at Odyysia - tonight ?

Decisions. Decisions.

Shower and Yannis Rainbow first :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby JeffHaynes » 18 Sep 2017, 16:39

Thanks D and E! Not as eloquent as your reports, but next time I'll spare the brevity and make it a longer read!
JeffHaynes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 18 Sep 2017, 20:36

Great post, glad to hear you enjoyed your first time in Symi, hope you have many more.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 19 Sep 2017, 07:45

Nice report and the part about the Boots sandwiches made me smile as I always buy a Boots meal deal at the airport - great value with a large bottle of water to keep my hydrated throughout the flight ;) Loving all these trip reports bringing Symi to me this year seeing as I won't be there.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 20 Sep 2017, 18:49

Thanks for the mini report!

We love updates from people on Symi. You must go back and get up the Kali to the bars at the Square....real Symi!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby JeffHaynes » 21 Sep 2017, 08:53

Hi silverfox - Planning stage for 2018 is underway!
JeffHaynes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Symi Chat