Earthquake

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Earthquake

Postby HowGally » 21 Jul 2017, 09:30

Hoping all ok on Symi after the earthquake which shook the region over night?
HowGally
Starting Visitor

Re: Earthquake

Postby Allan » 21 Jul 2017, 09:59

It seems that the epicentre was north of Kos which has taken the brunt of the damage. From all the comments I've seen from people on Symi it seems that all is well there despite this being the worst earthquake for some time.

Apparently it was bad enough to wake people but there was no real damage, thankfully.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SueO » 21 Jul 2017, 10:29

Apparently it was bad enough to wake people but there was no real damage, thankfully.

Glad to hear it Allan. On reading the news this morning my thoughts went immediately to Symi. I'd decided to wait a bit before posting a question here so thank you to HowGally for getting in first.

We've only experienced one (noticeable) quake in all the time we've been visiting Symi. Must have been 20 years ago now but I can still remember the weird feeling of our bed swaying as if we were at sea. We were staying in a very old house high up in Chorio which had, we thought, probably survived much worse so just went back to sleep! No damage or injury on that occasion either although a few bits and bobs had been shaken off various shelves.

My thoughts do go out to the business people, residents and holiday makers on Kos and the Turkish areas affected. Some of the damage in Kos town looks horrendous. I was wondering if Solidarity Symi have any surplus supplies available which might be put to good use on Kos?

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 21 Jul 2017, 15:19

On Kos, around 115 people were injured, including tourists - 12 of them seriously. Some buildings were damaged.
I think that's serious enough!
Could have easily been Symi.
Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 21 Jul 2017, 16:57

SueO wrote:We've only experienced one (noticeable) quake in all the time we've been visiting Symi. Must have been 20 years ago now but I can still remember the weird feeling of our bed swaying as if we were at sea. We were staying in a very old house high up in Chorio which had, we thought, probably survived much worse so just went back to sleep! No damage or injury on that occasion either although a few bits and bobs had been shaken off various shelves.

I had a similar experience a few years ago too SueO. It was during the daytime in my case but, like you, I found it weird rather than worrying.

SueO wrote: I was wondering if Solidarity Symi have any surplus supplies available which might be put to good use on Kos?

I know Solidarity Symi have close links with their counterparts on Kos so I'm sure they will have been in touch to offer assistance.

I can see on social media that there are many people offering help on Kos and neighbouring Turkey, along with some requests for help from those affected. Currently, the site I found had 50 requests (mainly from Turkey) and almost 300 offers of help. Six times as many people offering help than asking for it. This kind of natural disaster really seems to bring out the best in people.

I feel desperately sorry for those affected too SueO. This is the last thing the area needs after the drop in tourist numbers over the last few years. :(
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby D and E » 21 Jul 2017, 17:34

With reported 2 dead and well over a hundred injured in Kos and in Turkey, our thoughts are with those people and the families affected. Clearly tourists who haven't experienced tremors and quakes before must have been scared and perhaps remain so. SueO's very pragmatic thought process of Symi buildings living through such things is spot on.

It was interesting to listen on the radio today where locals were being stoic and trying to reassure mainly British tourists. Greece and Turkey live with the risk of this natural phenomenon everyday and have experienced disaster, especially in 1999.

We recall experiencing a minor tremor here in Mid Wales (yes there is a fault line here but it hardly ever gives rise to anything) and then the following week when we were on Symi we experienced a stronger one - we thought it was following us.

These things should not put people off visiting the area as the risk is infinitesimal - more chance of being hit by lightning.

So glad to hear that Symi remained safe.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Mimi » 21 Jul 2017, 20:41

We are booked to fly to Kos in two weeks. I was glad to hear that our friends on Kos and Symi are okay. Don't know about our apartment on Kos though, sent a message through Facebook but didn't get an answer. Will try emailing them, they probably are very busy. I doubt there will be problems there, because the apartment buildings aren't very old, but old enough to have withstood some earthquakes.

We are still going. With the crisis and the fugitives in the past years and now the earthquake I think the economy there can use a hand.

Edit: just got word that the people at the apartment are okay.
Mimi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Symi Chat