Walks on Symi book

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Walks on Symi book

Postby Pollychops » 12 Jul 2017, 19:37

I have been in the archive section (interesting reading) and found a topic re walking in Symi. I am trying to source a copy of Lance Chilton Walks on Symi but drawing a blank. Does anyone have any ideas to help me source this book as I would like to do some walking this September whilst Mrs P relaxes on a sunbed. I have tried Amazon, Waterstones so far. Thanks
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: Walks on Symi book

Postby SueO » 13 Jul 2017, 05:43

Hi

I have a copy of Lance Chilton's booklet which, due to age and infirmity, we no longer use. :'( I'd like to keep it for sentimental reasons but am more than happy to lend it if you're unable to source a copy elsewhere. Do be aware though that it was published in 1999 and even then Lance warns that routes/landmarks can change very quickly.

We used to find the SKAI hiking map useful (341Symi) which I think is still available to purchase on-line.

Don't know when you're next in Symi but, if our dates coincide, I'm happy to meet and lend you copies of both. Otherwise I can post to you for return in due course.

PM me with your address if you'd like me to send them.

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby SueO » 13 Jul 2017, 06:16

P.S. Prompted by your message and having got up at 5am this morning to let the cats out (!) I spent a couple of minutes leafing through Lance's booklet written in 1998. Good to see two establishments mentioned in the first couple of pages (Trata Restaurant and Lefteris Kafenion) that are still thriving nearly twenty years on but sad to see other bars/restaurants used as "landmarks" that no longer exist.

Our memories of Symi go back to 1986 when we first visited and, whilst many establishments have come and gone since then, there are still plenty of places that remain almost unchanged. Sadly the same can't be said for the many footpaths we used to use. It's some years now since we were able to get up into the hills on foot but, even then, we found that a lot of the paths had been destroyed by bulldozed tracks and were very hard to follow. So, if you do get hold of a copy or borrow mine, it really should be read as an interesting historic record rather than a proper walking guide.

That said the churches and monasteries are still there and the views are still fantastic so, if you do manage to get up into the hills, I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile :mrgreen: (no idea what that emoticon means but I'm green with envy)

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 13 Jul 2017, 07:21

I think you'd be lucky to get hold of a copy of the book now as Lance died a few years ago and I think the book has been out of print for a while now. I still use my copy, though it's almost falling to bits now, and some of the walks still exist, though some of the landmarks have changed.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 13 Jul 2017, 09:12

SueO wrote:Hi

I have a copy of Lance Chilton's booklet which, due to age and infirmity, we no longer use. :'( I'd like to keep it for sentimental reasons but am more than happy to lend it if you're unable to source a copy elsewhere. Do be aware though that it was published in 1999 and even then Lance warns that routes/landmarks can change very quickly.

We used to find the SKAI hiking map useful (341Symi) which I think is still available to purchase on-line.

Don't know when you're next in Symi but, if our dates coincide, I'm happy to meet and lend you copies of both. Otherwise I can post to you for return in due course.

PM me with your address if you'd like me to send them.

SueO

Thank you SueO, I have tried again last night and aware it is no longer in publication. I will keep trying as we do not arrive on Symi until Aug 30th. Thank you for your kind offer and I may take you up on that. If I do I may if possible photocopy the pages and take them with me rather than your book as I would not like it to come to any harm. Many thanks.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby SueO » 14 Jul 2017, 07:20

You're welcome!

If I do I may if possible photocopy the pages and take them with me rather than your book as I would not like it to come to any harm.

No need for that - it's pretty tatty already and, despite being only a "booklet", there are 40 pages of fairly small print. We're not out until 19th September so, if you do borrow it (and the map if you want) you could leave it with someone for us to collect to save returning by post.

Anyway - I hope you manage to source your own copy but do come back to me if/when you decide.

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby SueO » 14 Jul 2017, 09:57

Hi again Pollychops (love the name but feel a bit silly typing it!)

I've done a bit of research regarding the SKAI map and found the website here

http://terrainmaps.gr/index.php?l=en#products

As you will see it costs a mere 5.40 euros but I can't find out how much postage will be. In fact I tried a dummy purchase run and, whilst I could "add to cart", I couldn't find a way to access the "cart" to take it further. I did manage to ascertain that the map was drawn up 2008/2009 and hasn't been updated since so mine, purchased in 2012 (at a cost of 6.30 euros including postage), is still the best you can get. It's printed on damp-proof paper that doesn't rip so you certainly won't damage it if you borrow it.

I really am happy to send both to you and, even though you're not going until the end of August, there's no harm in having it sooner and spending a few happy hours planning routes!!

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Jan » 14 Jul 2017, 10:38

As Sue says, do be aware that the Chilton book is now sadly out of date as regards footpaths.

It's still perfectly possible to do some good walks if you have a decent sense of direction and are accustomed to Greek island footpaths but I'd suggest starting with something short and within sight of Yialos/Pedi - and preferably not walking alone. Once you have your eye in you can venture further afield.

Frances Noble-Tsavaris of Kalodoukas Holidays (bottom of the Kali Strata , just up from the Trata taverna) also published a walks book some years ago but, unlike Lance Chilton, Frances is still very much alive. You could pop your head around the door and if she's in I'm sure she'll be happy to tell you if the book is still available (I guess not) and maybe suggest a good starter walk for you to try out.

A Danish lady, Jytte, has in the past worked with the Poseidon boat to combine a walk to St Emilianos with the boat's BBQ lunch and a sail home. I didn't see her last year but September is her usual time and that walk shows you the centre of the island as well as some really good views.

It goes without saying that decent shoes and plenty of water are both essentials.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 14 Jul 2017, 10:50

Hi SueO, thank you I will see if I can find one and if not I will take you up on your offer. We are on Symi until the 9th Sept so could leave it with someone to save postage and the possiblilty of it being lost.

Sorry for the name................she was our lovely cat for 19 years.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby alan c. » 14 Jul 2017, 10:51

Frances has moved on from Kaladoukas (to the Old Markets) but is still around. For a short and easy guided walk which lets you see the centre of the island try the Symi Tours minibus trip to the old wine presses.
alan c.
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby STEVE » 14 Jul 2017, 16:22

Terrain Maps of Greece are available in the UK. See http://www.themapshop.co.uk/acatalog/Sy ... o-341.html or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Symi-Terrain-W ... B00CL8BOKO

I think we even got one of Nisyros from Waterstones a couple years ago.

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 14 Jul 2017, 19:30

SueO wrote:Hi again Pollychops (love the name but feel a bit silly typing it!)

I've done a bit of research regarding the SKAI map and found the website here

http://terrainmaps.gr/index.php?l=en#products

As you will see it costs a mere 5.40 euros but I can't find out how much postage will be. In fact I tried a dummy purchase run and, whilst I could "add to cart", I couldn't find a way to access the "cart" to take it further. I did manage to ascertain that the map was drawn up 2008/2009 and hasn't been updated since so mine, purchased in 2012 (at a cost of 6.30 euros including postage), is still the best you can get. It's printed on damp-proof paper that doesn't rip so you certainly won't damage it if you borrow it.

I really am happy to send both to you and, even though you're not going until the end of August, there's no harm in having it sooner and spending a few happy hours planning routes!!

SueO

Thanks SueO, I will try and buy a copy of the map as it will help and as you say it will last. I am sure I will use it many times.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 14 Jul 2017, 19:33

Jan wrote:As Sue says, do be aware that the Chilton book is now sadly out of date as regards footpaths.

It's still perfectly possible to do some good walks if you have a decent sense of direction and are accustomed to Greek island footpaths but I'd suggest starting with something short and within sight of Yialos/Pedi - and preferably not walking alone. Once you have your eye in you can venture further afield.

Frances Noble-Tsavaris of Kalodoukas Holidays (bottom of the Kali Strata , just up from the Trata taverna) also published a walks book some years ago but, unlike Lance Chilton, Frances is still very much alive. You could pop your head around the door and if she's in I'm sure she'll be happy to tell you if the book is still available (I guess not) and maybe suggest a good starter walk for you to try out.

A Danish lady, Jytte, has in the past worked with the Poseidon boat to combine a walk to St Emilianos with the boat's BBQ lunch and a sail home. I didn't see her last year but September is her usual time and that walk shows you the centre of the island as well as some really good views.

It goes without saying that decent shoes and plenty of water are both essentials.

Thanks Jan, I may try and seek out Jytte as my wife would like do a Poseidon trip
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 15 Jul 2017, 08:37

alan c. wrote:Frances has moved on from Kaladoukas (to the Old Markets) but is still around. For a short and easy guided walk which lets you see the centre of the island try the Symi Tours minibus trip to the old wine presses.

I did this walk a couple of years ago and it was an excellent walk and nice to see parts of Symi that I'd never visited before :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SueO » 15 Jul 2017, 18:55

Pollychops - I get the name now and quite understand. We're cat people too (3) and I admit to using their names (in combination with numbers) in various passwords.

If you're interested in walking to St. Emilianos your best bet is to have a chat with Yiannis on the Poseidon. Jytte's walks are, as Jan mentions, arranged to meet the boat, eat a wonderful BBQ lunch and return by boat in comfort. The big advantage of doing it this way (apart from not having to walk back!) is that your wife will not feel at all uncomfortable being alone on the outbound journey. Plenty of couples do it this way and Captain Yiannis is a wonderful host. We certainly couldn't do without our regular boat trips whilst on Symi.

Do speak to Yiannis as, even if Jytte isn't doing the walks this year, someone else may well be.

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 15 Jul 2017, 22:17

It does sound like a good idea and my wife would be happy with that. I will speak with Yiannis when we arrive and hopefully we can do this. I will order a map and this may be enough to give me an started for some walks. Thanks
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 16 Jul 2017, 19:37

Map on order so hopefully I should receive it midweek.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby SueO » 17 Jul 2017, 05:54

Map on order so hopefully I should receive it midweek
- good, glad you found it. I'm sure you'll find it useful. We love maps in any shape or form and still enjoy "reading" ours even though we no longer use it for walking.

The offer of Lance Chilton's book is still open. It may give you some inspiration and, as times are given for all his walks, it will give you some idea of how long they are even if the routes have changed a bit.

Have fun!

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 19 Jul 2017, 21:18

Hi SueO,
Map received this afternoon, what a great map. I have been sitting looking at the map sprawled over my dining table and yes it seems to be laminated, tough and the odour it gives out fills my senses with anticipation on the fabulous walks available to me. Just looking at the shape of Symi the island is fascinating as it has a central spine of the main road between Symi town and Panormitis with smaller veins of road splitting off at various points. This may sound all a bit mushy however, I am so excited and keen to have some adventure walking this beautiful island. I can see there are some walks marked out on the map and will study these and report back on what routes I may take. Thank you for the help you have passed on to me.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 20 Jul 2017, 21:18

You might also find the following website useful http://www.foxysislandwalks.com/Symi-Greece.html
As with the walks books you do have to be aware that there may have been some changes but it's a good starting point.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat