Symi Hat Trick

Archived trip reports

Symi Hat Trick

Postby silverfox » 14 Jun 2017, 21:27

Symi Hat Trick

I’ve started the blog early for the last 2 years so thought i’d get into gear now (not the shorts, they will have to wait another week).

Why the title you may ask? Well some will know but if you don’t this is our 3rd year in a row visiting the wonderful island of Symi. It’s the only place we have had a holiday in the same place twice so the hat trick is unheard of!

Another reason for the choice of title is my love of football and my team Sheffield United won the 1st division gaining 100 points and the Symi lads won their local league and had a great tournament in the UK recently.

Yet another reason is the recent arrival of our 1st granddaughter to add to our 2 grandsons so a hat trick there too!

Anyway back to Symi….we return for our 3rd visit after looking at other islands but still decided to come back again. Let’s hope we enjoy this holiday as much as the last two.

We usually make a list of things to do so here goes:

More of the same i’d say...

Walking...a walk to Toli Beach...last year I did the walk all the way to Panormitis!

Food food food! Although listening to news from Symi a few places have closed including the Windmill which is our usual choice for Liz’s birthday and our wedding anniversay (the same day), so it looks like we need to choose elsewhere. There are still plenty of places we have not tried but we do have a few favourites which you will already know or find out soon.

Our usual afternoon beer fix at the Rainbow where we try to give Yannis enough money to keep him going through the winter! :)

Photos and video of such a great place.

Round the Island trip….still can’t see us doing this as we don’t really like boats but never say never.

More beach trips?

Relax, read and enjoy!

We are on the 6.15am flight from Manchester next Wednesday so hope to make the afternoon ferry so may be on Symi even earlier than usual, although we will miss the sun setting over the island as we approach. We don’t like the idea of spending a night on Rhodes but if needed we will cope.
We are staying again at the Sevasti Studios up top for the 3rd time and have asked Nikos for the same room which has the afternoon sun on the balcony but still has views of Pedi from the other windows. The family are great and generous and we can’t fault anything and they will even cook you a nice meal at night which were awesome last year. They also will bring you water which saves you carrying up the lanes.

You do need to have some fitness to stay here but we just love it.

We were looking forward to D & E’s May blog but they selfishly (only kidding) took another holiday early this year so have not been on Symi this year early.

We really missed the update to get us in the mood but we will try to do the best we can for you all starting next week.

Enough for now!

I'll leave you know with a couple of pictures of the morning we left last year.

Silverfox & Liz

20160706_060814-1328x747.jpg
Attachments
20160706_070111-1328x747.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Symi Hat Trick

Postby Gemma1 » 15 Jun 2017, 06:50

Have a great trip and I look forward to reading your blog :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 15 Jun 2017, 08:46

Hi Silverfox,

Firstly, our apologies for not doing May this year :o will try and not let that happen again. So this time it is you doing us the favour as we head over on 8th July but just for 5 nights - your Blog will extend that for us :)

Secondly, just to say wow what excellent photographs - thinking D needs to invest in a new camera !

Thirdly, have a safe journey, a great time (Oddysia or Tholos round by the boatyard both worthy of special occasion meals ;) ) and do leave Yannis with some stock for our arrival :shock:

These hat-tricks are catching.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 15 Jun 2017, 12:48

Looking forward to your blog Silverfox and I'm pleased to see you have sorted out how to post pictures.

I have been out this morning to check on your behalf and you will be pleased to hear that Sevasti studios are still there and still a long way up the hill, Yianni's beer is still cold and refreshing and the weather is warming up nicely (34.7 as I type). :D

I echo D&E's suggestion of making the trip round to Odyssdia or Tholos, it is worth the effort. We have had a couple of really good meals at Odyssia over the last couple of weeks.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kojak » 15 Jun 2017, 16:11

I think Symi has claimed you, Silverfox - the same way it claimed me. Until I hit Symi I'd never thought of going to the same holiday destination twice. Now I just return to Symi year after year. Your early departure is good so you should make the afternoon Blue Star ferry (providing times haven't changed of course). Do get over your dislike of boats as the round the island trip is certainly worth it. Why not try a shorter trip to St Emilianos first? Both serve up a great barbecue and as much ouzo as you can drink! Very good value for money - all you need is your bathing cossie!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 15 Jun 2017, 18:06

Thanks for all the replies as it feels like we have already started the holiday although we both have another few days to work.

I forgive you D&E but your escapades will extend our enjoyment on our return, just a pity we can't share a drink! :)

It's good to hear that our apartments are still up top and that Yanni's beer is cooling down nicely!

We will be off to both Oddysia and Tholos as we are already aware of the tempting food on offer...still determined to try a few new places but it's so tempting to stay with what you already know!

Enjoy the rest of your stay Allan and yes Kojak it does look like we are claimed!

I'll leave you with this......

20160705_212155-1024x576.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Val » 15 Jun 2017, 21:02

Looking forward to your holiday already Silverfox, good of you to share it with us. Brilliant photos too. Have a great time.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 16 Jun 2017, 13:27

I misread the thread title as Symi Cat Trick. You know, the one where food mysteriously gets transferred from your plate to various feline tummies.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 16 Jun 2017, 20:19

Oooooh the cats... This was from our first trip....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjE2ssVeRY

And this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEOsypDDiGo

Update....

Liz has been to the doctors today after an insect bite which has inflamed....she's now on Antibiotics for a week!

No fizzy wine on the plane then! :(
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 22 Jun 2017, 20:16

Wednesday 21st

We set off for Manchester at around 1.30am in our own car as the "son taxi" has recently become a daddy and we thought unfair to keep him up all night, that is little Rubys job! We saw a couple of nice little foxes as we headed out of the city which was nice.

We headed through the heavy mist and wind over the Snake Pass to arrive at the Meet and Greet in good time with a 100 yard walk to Terminal 2 in good time.

We were through security in no time and soon found a quiet place to sit and waited for Boots to open for their meal deals to have on the plane.

We were a little late with the Monarch Airbus A321 finally in the air at 6.39am. The leg room was great, as was the Jack Daniels, and after a pretty smooth flight we landed in Rhodes a few minutes early. After the usual wait for our cases we were ordered by the Olympic rep to stand in the corner to wait for another couple to take a taxi to the ferry. Within a few minutes we were on our way and we were soon at the kiosk getting our tickets.

On board early, up in the lift to a nice deck with a bar....e5.10 for a beer though!

We were on Symi before 4.30pm and taken up the hill by minibus. We were not met as usual by the apartment owners as they were not aware of the ferry timetable it seems but it didn't matter as we know our way. We knocked on Sevasti's door and we were invited into their home for cool fresh orange juice and Greek coffee. We spent a while catching up with their family news and accepting their great hospitality. Where else do you get such a welcome as in Greece?

Manilos by now had taken all our luggage and brought water to our room and we had a quick freshen up before heading down the lanes to the Rainbow!

We had a great welcome from the "Symi family" as Jo calls it....there are so many nice people who catch the same weeks and of course the people who live on Symi as well as all the lovely Greek hosts it just feels like coming home!

We had a little catch up before a short trip to Georgios where we had the pleasure of a fantastic meal of Cheese Saganaci, Fried Potatoes and Beef in Metaxa and Mushroom Sauce. The beef was sublime!

With bread, water and a litre of white wine it came to e34.00...we have heard that prices have risen so we will try to give prices to help people budget.

We headed up the lanes not stopping for night caps or shopping and flopped into bed as soon as we were there...unpacking would have to wait as it had been a long day!
Attachments
20170621_205554-756x1008.jpg
20170621_210355-756x1008.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 23 Jun 2017, 06:17

Thursday 22nd

We were so tired after the long trip yesterday and the lack of sleep back in England with the heat that we did not get up as early as we wanted.

I was still up at 7am though to unlock the cases and start to organise ourselves....coffee was made and Liz kept snoring!

We eventually left the apartments at around 9.30am and wandered down towards the square and it seems that the Museum may be open or maybe not? Who knows but it was closed as we passed. We checked out the new bakery, bear left after Georgios heading down from the square, and we will be paying a few visits no doubt!

I have a new camera with a great zoom so was taking pictures on the way down the Kali Strata...I may do another slideshow to put on youtube if they look ok.

We had a wander round and Liz chose a new hat to keep the sun off her head....she certainly didn't buy it to look nice! :)

We had a slow walk round to the boat yard which I always find interesting and I also love the smell of the fresh paint as the boats are made ready for the year ahead. Not a full harbour by any stretch but there was a few of the "obscene rich" in evidence.

We stopped off in Algrita where we shared a continental breakfast of orange juice, toast and coffee and watched the world go by for a while. It's a great place for taking photos and people watching whilst you sip coffee.

After another slow walk we decided on an early lunch and it had to be To Spitiko. We were warmly welcomed by Jordana and we decided to share a Greek salad, Moussaka and chips with me on the beer and Liz trying a non alcoholic Fix which she enjoyed. The bill was e31.00 with 2 beers each. It was a good decision to go early as it was soon full with people waiting or being turned away. It was good to see it so busy.

Although the Symi Dream is still not running there are a few smaller boats bringing the day trippers across from Rhodes.

Liz waited for the bus to take her back up the hill (sill e1.5 for any trip) and I walked up the road as I love to do. It's interesting to see how much work has been done on the new jetty and it looks like it could be in use soon. The views are superb further up and they have supplied me with some new benches near the top!

There were already a few sat at the Rainbow and we had a few beers and some idle chat....so much laughter too! Neil was very happy as i'd saved a bag of Walkers Cheese and Onion crisps but he refused to share them with anyone! :)

We are still tired so decided on a lazy night at the Sevasti so stocked up on ham and cheese, oh and a bottle of Ouzo, and took on the last of the sun on our balcony.

It's great up here with the sounds of cicadas, tinkling of goat bells, chickens and bird song , church bells and the odd dog barking. There are cats of course.

The last Ouzo of the night went down really well as the skies turned amazing colours and the stars started to twinkle.

Plans for tomorrow? More of the same?
Attachments
20170622_133942-1008x756.jpg
20170622_134042-1008x756.jpg
20170622_124710-1008x756.jpg
20170622_122528-1008x756.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Jun 2017, 08:48

What a great start and fantastic photos - I was almost there with you - and wish I was ;) I love the beef in metaxa at Georgios - and the moussaka at To Spitiko :) . I had a giggle reading about you waiting for Boots to open for your meal deal - just like me :oops: I always stock up on a Boots meal deal, such great value, you can't complain about airport prices if there's a Boots meal deal available lol.

Looking forward to reading more about your trip and seeing more stunning photos :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Mille » 23 Jun 2017, 15:12

Thank you for the blog.
Can't wait to read more and seeing more of your fantastic pictures!!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Val » 23 Jun 2017, 16:02

Great start Silverfox. Love the photos. It's almost like being on holiday. Symi looks lovely in the sunshine. Enjoy the view. Yamass.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 24 Jun 2017, 07:08

Friday 23rd

We woke to the sad news that Jack the "alarm cat" of Symi Dream fame had passed away during the night. Our thoughts are with Toby and Neil. RIP Jack.

For people who are not aware:

http://www.symidream.com/

We are sleeping very well so no early morning walks have taken place so far and Liz fancied a lazy start with her kindle on the balcony so I set off down the valley on the paths next to the church. Lot's of chickens, cats and goats down the valley and a few barking dogs to encounter before you reach the football ground and back onto the road. The road was dusty as they are laying a new fibre optic cable all the way from Yialos to Pedi so every where you go there is this little channel being dug or covered.

I took the left fork in the road and had a nice walk past the new jetty and up the path towards Agia Marina, I didn't go too far but saw quite a few larger lizards on the rocks. I made my way back and along to the kiosk to buy some water for the walk back up the hill. The bus came past me as I walked back and created a dust cloud which had me coughing!

Just passed the Windmills on the road I sat on one of the new benches and let Liz know I was on my way down to Yialos but her poor timing, or is it called relaxing?, she had no chance of the bus so set off down the Kali Strata. We met and had a wander round to Elpidas for a cafe latte each e7.00.

It does seem very quiet today with not so many yachts in and not so many of the little band wearers around.

We had our usual chat about what to eat and we can never decide whether a snack or full lunch and have a full meal later, its a hard life! After searching a few shops for some mozzie spray we opted for a Gyros Pitta each, I had a large Mythos and Liz a small water at the little place next to the herb stall. Very nice and great value for e7.90!

It's a hot day and after another bench stop we had another drink stop before heading back up the Chorio....Liz found the bus to be full and refused to take a taxi so we set off walking up the road. I do this for pleasure but not sure Liz found it so in the heat!!!!

We had our usual stop off at the Rainbow where the time just drifts away and the drinks flow but today we did raise a glass for the departed Jack.

We contemplated stopping off at Zoe's for food but Liz has been fancying the wonderful eggs you get on Symi so we had another lazy night in with eggs, ham, feta and tomatoes wash down with a little Metaxa!

It all sounds pretty lazy but my fitbit says:

Thursday 6.1 miles
Friday 9.43 miles
Attachments
20160630_180906-1328x747.jpg
Jack
20170623_103905-1008x756.jpg
20170623_123537-1008x756.jpg
20170623_200804-1008x756.jpg
20170623_131731-1008x756.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Jun 2017, 09:19

Not sure it sounds very lazy to me with a walk to Pedi and back and then Yialos and back on the road - especially with you being right up at Sevasti. Your photo of Symi harbour is absolutely stunning - what a wonderful view :D

I regularly enjoy a chicken gyros for lunch when I'm in Greece. It's a tasty snack and just right for me at lunch time - though it does leave enough space for a cake later in the afternoon if I'm in that frame of mind ;)

It was sad news about Jack, I will miss reading about his antics on the Symi Dream website :(

Looking forward to your next update :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 25 Jun 2017, 18:44

Your blog is the perfect remedy for a dull & damp Mid Wales this Sunday - thanks Silverfox.

We had the great pleasure of meeting Jack a couple of years back. He was a lovely boy and had a lovely life with T&N.

Looking forward to the next instalment.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 26 Jun 2017, 07:28

Saturday 24th

It's now getting hot and the days lazier.

Liz fancied a read so I went off up to try out my new gadget. I've bought a drone to hopefully get some nice pictures on the island, the only problem is i've not had much flying time at home so i'm useless and very scared i'll crash and hurt someone. I will try to get a few nice videos and pictures and will hopefully get them up on youtube and share the links. This maybe when we get back home...who knows. Anyway my first flight lasted about 5 minutes up near one of the nice churches. The drone is a Mavic Pro by the way.

The mozzies had struck in the night so we were off down the Kali Strata and into the chemist for some spray, I'll bring some next year as it cost e10!!

we were slightly peckish so called at Nicolas Patisserie for a slice of Galaktoboureko (custard pie) each with Liz having orange juice and I had a vanilla milkshake. It's round the back lanes next to the International Taverna which we have heard good reports on this year so we will have to visit if we can fit it in!

I went for a walk round to nos whilst Liz sat reading with a coffee on the soft seats at Aigialos cafe bar. Once back we had another drink before I did my usual walk up the road and Liz used the bus. I was tempted to get the drone out but it was a little breazy so i'm not sure i'll be brave enough to fly down in the harbour....we will see!

A quiet drink at the Rainbow as everyone seemed to be hiding from the sun as the temperatures rise.

I had the last hour on sun on the balcony before a quick shower and we headed back down the Kali for an evening meal, we nearly stopped at Merakles but opted finally to try the International. One of the reasons why we have never tried it is because over the last 2 years at lunch time it was always full of the organised day trippers that come in of the Symi Dream.

We were the first in and we had the cheese croquettes, boujiourdi (feta, tomato and peppers in olive oil) and the main was their take on lamb kleftico...all very nice! As we started our mains Jo arrived so we asked her to join us as the place started to fill up. We were presented with a large plate of melon on the house which was far too much for us to finish! We can't remember the exact bill but we think it was around e46 including our wine. "Down town" was quite busy with a good number of yachts in so we quickly did a small shop and the plan was for ourselves and Jo to share a taxi back but we stood 20 minutes with not one to be seen. It was soon time for the bus so we jumped on that and were joined by Neil, Toby and Collette who had been out enjoying themselves too!

The bus is great and it stops by the windmills up by the kiosk but all you have to do is ask the driver for Sevasti and he takes you all the way up near the apartments and drops you in the same place a taxi would.

As I settled down to a Metaxa night cap on the balcony the night finished with a little local drama as a solar panel pump on the hose below decided it was time to blow with much noise and finally a long hiss before it was finally deceased!

We were soon back to cicadas and the odd goat bell and the stars.

Another lovely lazy day on Symi :)
Attachments
20170624_104950-1008x756.jpg
20170624_110355-1008x756.jpg
20170624_204605-756x1008.jpg
20170624_200013-1008x756.jpg
20170624_194357-1008x756.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 27 Jun 2017, 07:10

Sunday 25th

No plans made!

We started the day with a breakfast after i'd wandered down to the supermarket near Georgios for a little bacon and some french toast as the bakers were not open today.

I had another wander through the lanes up top before eventually going down into Yialos. I really like walking and finding new paths and taking lots of photos on my way.

Liz had another lazy morning reading back at the apartments.

After a walk round to Nos beach and back up the road I met Liz at the Olive tree where we sampled the homemade lemonade and a fruit salad with yogurt and honey. Very nice.

The Rainbow was quite busy for our afternoon drink and a lot of the talk was about the temperatures and some were saying 41 was recorded down in Yialos. It is certainly hot and i'm, yet again, not walking as much as i'd like!

We have our meal booked at our apartments tonight so a slow walk up to ready ourselves for a feast of grilled Sea Bream, salad and chips, and some little cinnamon buns for afters with a Metaxa night cap.
Attachments
20170625_193138-1008x756.jpg
20170625_184257-1008x756.jpg
20170625_184519-1008x756.jpg
20170625_134205-1008x756.jpg
20170625_184523-1008x756.jpg
20170625_120231-1008x756.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 27 Jun 2017, 07:49

More great reports and photos, it's really cheered up a very wet Tuesday morning in West Yorkshire :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports