Taxi from Rhodes airport to Hotel Hermes

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Taxi from Rhodes airport to Hotel Hermes

Postby Fullenglish » 03 Jun 2017, 15:28

We will be arriving on Rhodes and staying one night there before catching the ferry to Symi next morning, so we will need a taxi from the airport to Hotel Hermes in Rhodes Town.
Is it best to get a taxi outside the airport or is there a better way?

Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: Taxi from Rhodes airport to Hotel Hermes

Postby Andy W » 03 Jun 2017, 19:34

I'd get a taxi from outside the airport for €25.
There is a bus service from the airport to Rhodes Town. The terminus in Averoff Street is a couple of minutes walk from the Hermes. The bus is roughly twice an hour, but not at the same times past each hour, costs €2.60 per head, and the last bus is 11.15pm. Depends how much you value getting there quickly and perhaps having time for a shower and a leisurely meal, or hanging round for up to 40 minutes and then making a much slower journey to town. Obviously what time your plane lands, and how long it takes to get your baggage back has a lot to do with it.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 03 Jun 2017, 21:24

Thanks Allan that's helpful. My plane lands at 12:35 and I'm in no hurry so that could save us money getting the bus.

Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 04 Jun 2017, 06:40

Its Andy actually, but don't worry. Since you're interested in the bus, here's some directions:
Turn left as you come out into the open air from Arrivals at the airport, walk along the front of the terminal building, and you'll see a small bus shelter in front of you. Look for buses displaying Rodos Center. This stop is also used by buses heading towards villages west of the airport, to places like Salakos, Embona, Kamiros Skala, and so on, and you certainly don't want these. You could save another 10 cents each (and more importantly avoid any change problems with the bus driver) by buying your bus ticket from one of the cafes or kiosks inside the check-in hall just beyond the bus shelter.
Boarding at the airport you should get seats OK, but the bus may get amazingly full as it approaches Rhodes Town. Don't be alarmed, this is entirely normal. In fact if it doesn't get full, it means another bus starting somewhere else has got just in front of yours along the way.
On arrival at the terminus in Rhodes Town, walk in the direction the bus is facing, cross the road directly in front of you (one way, coming from the right) and walk down the slope. The sea will be directly in front of you. Take a narrow street/alleyway that's first left. I've known people miss this turning, if you do, just carry on down to the seafront, turn left along the front of the Bank of Greece, and left again. Either way, you'll emerge right in front of the Hermes.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 04 Jun 2017, 07:02

Oh dear sorry Andy.
Thank you very much for the directions.
I'll let you know how we get on when I return.
Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Symi Chat