New restaurants / Tavernas

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

New restaurants / Tavernas

Postby Fullenglish » 03 May 2017, 19:27

Does anyone know if there are any new restaurants or tavernas that have opened up in the last year that are recommended please?

Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: New restaurants / Tavernas

Postby Andy W » 04 May 2017, 06:30

I arrived on Symi yesterday, and didn't see any new ones. There weren't any in 2016 that hadn't been around in 2015 as well.
They're mostly family run, so things change slowly.
That said, I know of several buildings that were restaurants/tavernas in 2015/2016 that won't be in 2017 unless someone buys or leases them.

I'll reconnect to the grapevine and see if there's going to be anything new this summer.If so and they're already open, I'll gladly try them out. But it's very early in the season, and quite normal for tavernas to be still preparing to open for the summer.
For example,Zoe's taverna in Chorio reopened for the season just last night,and the beach tavernas normally open once the taxiboats start running,which they haven't yet.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Robert » 04 May 2017, 10:43

Wont be open yet but we think that the Agia Marina restaurant will be open in the evenings this summer which will be a novel experience - and hence there will be no more Muses.
As I see you live in Loughton - which we know well - I hope you like the Olive Tree which we used to frequent - as well as the Symi Olive Tree of course!
Robert
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 04 May 2017, 13:34

Robert,
We went to The Olive Tree twice last June and liked it. Don't know the Symi Olive Tree though. Whereabouts is it?
Do you live anywhere near Loughton?
Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 05 May 2017, 15:07

The Olive Tree in Symi is in Chorio, just at the top of the Kali Strata. Open 8.30 am to 3.30pm. Great for breakfasts, healthy or otherwise, coffee and cakes, salady lunches, fresh juices etc.

Now after an extensive stroll round, I still can't find any tavernas etc that are new this year. Instead I can tell you a sad list of places that won't be open in 2017.
Oliva -the grill bar next to Yacht Cafe - space being used for extra tables for Trata/Trawler; Syllogos in Chorio -premises for sale/lease; Windmill in Chorio; Muses in Yialos as mentioned above. There are others that aren't usually open this early in the year anyway, and can still be expected to open.
But don't panic - that still leaves 15 taverna/restaurants that are already open in Yialos, 3 in Chorio, and 1 in Pedi, and the late-openers will add another 9 to the island's total.
That's before we start on bars that do food of some sort.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 06 May 2017, 12:15

Hi AndyW - great to get the early season report BUT we sit here shocked that Syllygos won't be there this year - thoughts of chicken with prunes, the best imam and the ever energetic Lefteris and his cockerel impressions go through our minds. Well, well ........
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 May 2017, 14:47

Thanks for the update Andy...it looks like we will have less choice up top this year.

Hope we get a few more updates to get us through the next six and half weeks.

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Andy W » 08 May 2017, 18:38

The one I forgot in my count was Haritomeni. Being perched halfway between Yialos and Chorio, it is always difficult to decide how to place it. So that's either one more for the Yialos total, or for the Chorio total depending on your point of view.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 09 May 2017, 08:19

Trying to think which is the third in Chorio - taking it that Zoe and Georgios are the other two. This will puzzle me all day so have to ask!! E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Andy W » 09 May 2017, 08:37

Olive Tree
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 09 May 2017, 09:14

Of course!
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Robert » 09 May 2017, 14:44

We used to live in Loughton but we are south of the river now - handy for Gatwick! But will miss the Olive Tree in Loughton a lot - we used to go there for New Year and other special occasions. We love the Olive Tree in Symi too - but we often stay in Hirani and its a major effort to get there - worth it though! Amazing breakfasts and great packed lunches - and you get to meet Andy if he is around!
all best - Bob
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 11 May 2017, 16:04

Taverna Vassilis, by the bridge in Yialos, was busy setting out its tables and chairs this morning, supervised by Vassilis himself,of course. Expected to open at the weekend, this is the remaining in-town taverna that isn't already open.
Now we just need the beach tavernas to reopen, and food service is ready for summer.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat